Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ian Evatt targets player 'security'

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ian Evatt targets player 'security' Empty Ian Evatt targets player 'security' Wed Jun 28 2023, 08:36

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ian Evatt targets player 'security' 16936788

Kyle Dempsey’s contract extension may not be the last at Wanderers this summer after Ian Evatt hinted that the club would look to protect itself against losing players in the final year of their deals.

Bolton tied up midfielder Dempsey until 2026 but have several other first team players whose contract runs out next summer, including George Johnston, Gethin Jones, Declan John, MJ Williams, Kieran Sadlier and Jon Dadi Bodvarsson.

Speaking about Dempsey’s new deal, Evatt told the club: “We want to avoid players, especially those we are happy with and want to keep, going into the last year of their contract because it makes us vulnerable,” he said.

“We wanted to protect ourselves, give us some security and also reward them for their good effort so far.

“They know there is more to come and we are looking forward to improving them again.”

Four players were released at the end of last season – and Evatt revealed that he ended up bumping into one of them on his family break this summer.

“Everyone has left on good terms, there hasn’t been any fall-outs,” he said. “I was actually in the same hotel as Kieran Lee on holiday so we managed to talk things through.

“Things happen in football and we are very appreciative of their efforts. They have all been a big part of the journey and we wish them well.”

Speaking 39 days after the 1-0 defeat at Barnsley which spelled the end of the club’s play-off hopes last season, Evatt reckons the disappointment will fuel a concerted effort to do better this time around.

“It is still there, still eats away at me a little bit,” he said.

“I think, again, some perspective is important. It was an excellent season.

“Another season of progression. I am bitterly disappointed because we all feel that when we are at our very best there aren’t any teams that can live with us and we didn’t quite get up to those levels in both legs, really.

“We ended up losing out on a set play. We under-performed, they didn’t.

“It is a marker of where we are and where we can get to. We all watched the final at Wembley and wished we were there because I think it would have really suited us. But literally an hour after the game it was time to process and think about how we can improve.

“We have done a lot of work over the summer thinking about how we improve the squad but also behind the scenes, how we improve Lostock, and how we gain those one per cents to get us over the line.

“Getting 81 points and losing out to a set play goal means we are not far away.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum