Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Looking Back: Bolton's ultimate coffee shop served town for 200 years

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Looking Back: Bolton's ultimate coffee shop served town for 200 years 17115264

This great photograph shows the interior of Wood and Co (Bolton) Ltd in 1957.

The company was based on Victoria Square at the time although shortly after this picture was taken, it would move to new premises in nearby Fold Street.

Wood and Co was a wholesale tea and coffee merchant and blending took place on the premises.

You can see the various large tea chests in the photo. There was also a retail shop where customers could buy loose tea and ground coffee.

In 1968 the company’s Fold Street premises were demolished as part of the Acresfield redevelopment which saw the Arndale Centre being built - now Crompton Place. Sadly Wood and Co was unable to find suitable alternative accommodation so after supplying the good folk of Bolton with their tea and coffee for more than 200 years, the business closed.

Source

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

karlypants wrote:Looking Back: Bolton's ultimate coffee shop served town for 200 years 17115264

This great photograph shows the interior of Wood and Co (Bolton) Ltd in 1957.

The company was based on Victoria Square at the time although shortly after this picture was taken, it would move to new premises in nearby Fold Street.

Wood and Co was a wholesale tea and coffee merchant and blending took place on the premises.

You can see the various large tea chests in the photo. There was also a retail shop where customers could buy loose tea and ground coffee.

In 1968 the company’s Fold Street premises were demolished as part of the Acresfield redevelopment which saw the Arndale Centre being built - now Crompton Place. Sadly Wood and Co was unable to find suitable alternative accommodation so after supplying the good folk of Bolton with their tea and coffee for more than 200 years, the business closed.

Source
I do remember this shop but if you are ever in Lancaster, Atkinson's coffee shop is well worth a visit
Check it out here:

https://thecoffeehopper.com/about-atkinsons-coffee-roasters/

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I'm old enough to have been around when the shop was still going but I don't remember it.

When I was dragged into town on Saturday mornings (before I was old enough to go to the Odeon's Saturday morning children's club instead) mam and dad were too poor to indulge in going into coffee shops and it was only when they got very much older that they started to take a break with a cup of tea in the Market Hall café, to have a rest before heading home.

Don't know if that sort of influenced me in life or something as although I like a cup of coffee and enjoy the espresso coffee shops, I seldom use them or pick one up at places like the petrol station or local Tesco.

Just never got into the habit I guess?

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:I'm old enough to have been around when the shop was still going but I don't remember it.

When I was dragged into town on Saturday mornings (before I was old enough to go to the Odeon's Saturday morning children's club instead) mam and dad were too poor to indulge in going into coffee shops and it was only when they got very much older that they started to take a break with a cup of tea in the Market Hall café, to have a rest before heading home.

Don't know if that sort of influenced me in life or something as although I like a cup of coffee and enjoy the espresso coffee shops, I seldom use them or pick one up at places like the petrol station or local Tesco.

I remember it in part because of the young lady who worked there that I would see in the bank sometimes. The aroma of freshly ground coffee that always pervaded the air around her seemed to match perfectly her long auburn hair.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
Sluffy wrote:I'm old enough to have been around when the shop was still going but I don't remember it.

I remember it in part because of the young lady who worked there that I would see in the bank sometimes. The aroma of freshly ground coffee that always pervaded the air around her seemed to match perfectly her long auburn hair.

Sounds as though you might have had a crush on her Bob! Wink

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

Sounds as though you might have had a crush on her Bob!  Wink

Shut up Bob. I was going through a phase!

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:

Sounds as though you might have had a crush on her Bob!  Wink
I wouldn’t go that far, Sluffy, but she did have beautiful hair that seemed a perfect blend with the aroma of her work place. I suppose that in those days there were more folk that carried the scent of their workplace with them but not to such alluring effect as the young lady from the  coffee shop.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Remember the shop but we never went in as it wasn't especially kid-friendly.
When my brother and I were dragged round Bolton on a Saturday circa 1960 we'd often manage to get compensated with an ice cream float in the wonderful Tognarelli's (my personal fave) or a snack at Sabini's who my mum became friendly with, but very occasionally we went to what I remember as a Spanish cafe in a basement down a sidestreet near Whittakers? I've been racking my brains trying to remember what it was called. Was it the Casablanca?
Obvs Casablanca is in Morocco but means white house in Spanish - so have I got the name wrong or was it not actually Spanish? Can't remember from the food because we only ever had hot chocolate there when it was freezing cold outside.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Anyone remember The Beachcomber Club?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:Anyone remember The Beachcomber Club?

I remember it more as Maxwell's Plum.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

Didn't that extend into the dairy next door so they could sell alcohol?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

Didn't that extend into the dairy next door so they could sell alcohol?

What dairy?

I'm talking about the club on Bank Street - down the side (and across the road) of Preston's of Bolton, heading towards the Dog and Partridge.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

What dairy?

I'm talking about the club on Bank Street - down the side (and across the road) of Preston's of Bolton, heading towards the Dog and Partridge.
Bank street yes. Found this in the BN archives.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/13322688.one-businessmans-decision-reignited-the-towns-nightlife/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum