Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'Easy to lose your head' - Carlisle boss hails composure against Whites

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

'Easy to lose your head' - Carlisle boss hails composure against Whites 17308281

Carlisle boss Paul Simpson hailed his side’s “discipline” to stick to their gameplan despite the big crowd at Wanderers.

The Whites took the lead through a Jon Mellish own goal but Simpson’s side hit back through Jordan Gibson’s hat trick – including a penalty after Eoin Toal was judged to have handled in the box.

Joe Garner also had a spot kick saved by Nathan Baxter with the score at 1-0 after a controversial decision went against Kyle Dempsey.

“That was my main message after our final meeting, we are going to have to play with discipline when we don’t have the ball and be patient,” said the Carlisle boss.

“Then we had to be calm when we got it and not keep tossing it back to them.

“I have been in grounds where there is a big crowd and it is easy to lose your head and not play the game of football, you end up playing the occasion.

“I thought our discipline was outstanding, the way we stook to the task and were patient out of possession. I think we showed some good quality in possession as well.”

The opener came after Will Forrester had slipped in Josh Dacres-Cogley on the right with a clever pass.

“I was disappointed because we didn’t want them to get that slide ball in between our centre-back and our full-back,” Simpson continued.

“We wanted to be compact and talked about forcing it to go wide. Then we have to the work and we let it go through there.

“They play a shape that gives you problems because they are comfortable on the ball and they want to play out. Whether it’s Sheehan or Thomason playing that holding role and then Morley and Dempsey.

“I thought every single one of them – and the boys who came off the bench – put in a proper shift today and that is what you’ve got to do to get results.”

The Carlisle boss hailed Gibson’s character to stick away his penalty after Baxter had earlier denied Garner from 12 yards.

“We have talked about it for weeks now that Gibson is on penalties,” he explained. “We never spoke about it before the game because I automatically thought Gibbo was on them.

“He went and got the ball and then Joe is on it. I will never criticise players for missing penalties because I have done it myself.

“But it is those little things – if Gibbo is on them, go and take it. Stick with what the plan is. We got away with it.

“We have talked for weeks about the penalties we have not been getting and have got two today, I am delighted with those. I still think we are owed a few but it is a big result for us today.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum