Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Evatt excited to welcome back 'pivotal' club skipper Santos

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Evatt excited to welcome back 'pivotal' club skipper Santos 17314770

The impact of Ricardo Santos and Gethin Jones’s absence at Wanderers over the past few weeks may have been underestimated, says Ian Evatt.

Wanderers captain and vice-captain have not played in the same starting line-up since the 2-1 defeat at Reading on September 16.

Santos picked up a hamstring injury in the closing minutes of that game, and a week later Jones was handed a straight red card in the 1-1 draw against Peterborough United.

Though Wanderers got through a tricky spell with Will Forrester coming into the side, Eoin Toal returning to full fitness and Jack Iredale continuing to settle as a left-sided centre-half, Evatt feels losing two of his most influential players for the last few weeks has been a big challenge.

“We’re now at the stage where, hopefully, we have got past the run of injuries and suspensions and we can look at and talk about the effect it really had,” he told The Bolton News.

“Everyone has their own opinion on Ricardo but he is pivotal to what we do and how we play, there is no doubt about it.

“Yes, we have managed to get results without him in the past, over the last couple of games this time as well. But we are not the same without him, and that is the truth. We need him back.

“It is the same with Geth, we have really missed him. I think his energy and that relationship with Josh (Dacres-Cogley) is important, along with that experience.”

Evatt felt Santos’s absence was especially felt against Carlisle at the weekend, where veteran striker Joe Garner made life difficult for the Bolton back line, winning the majority of aerial duels on the day.

“He is a very difficult player to play against, I have done it and I know it is a challenge,” he said. “We definitely missed Rico’s strength and dominance. I don’t think Garner does all that if Rico is on the pitch, though.”

Though Wanderers have gone into the international break on somewhat of a low, Evatt is drawing some positives from the fact that Forrester, Toal and Iredale produced some encouraging performances at a time when they were heavily relied upon in defence.

Toal has gone away hoping to win his first international cap for Northern Ireland in their upcoming Euro 2024 qualifiers against San Marino and Slovenia, and with Santos and Jones due to be available for selection against Northampton Town on October 21, Evatt should have a fresh set of options in his back three.

“I think we have missed Rico and Geth but I think it is important to say that the other lads have been great and I am sure they will continue to progress,” he added, “But for us now it is about staying positive, getting the whole squad back together, and moving on to the next challenge after the international break.”

Source

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We've missed Rico, not so sure about Jones though. He's been average this season and Toal is a better player in my eyes.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We struggle to create and therefore score. Not sure how getting Santos back will change that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum