Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MATCH REACTION: Ian Evatt gives his verdict to Bolton's win at Wycombe

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MATCH REACTION: Ian Evatt gives his verdict to Bolton's win at Wycombe 17367952

Ian Evatt praised Wanderers for finding a second wind in a dramatic night at Wycombe.

Having had a two-goal lead pegged back with just eight minutes to play, late goals from Eoin Toal and an Aaron Morley penalty ensured a first-ever win at Adams Park in an unforgettable finale.

Paris Maghoma had scored his first Bolton goal before George Thomason put the Whites into a commanding lead – but Wycombe’s relentless approach got them level with goals from Luke Leahy and David Wheeler.

Evatt felt his side were worth three points and gave a pat on the back to substitutes Cameron Jerome and Aaron Morley, who helped turn the game back in Bolton’s favour.

“Over the 90 minutes we deserved to win and the right result happened,” he said. “I think first half we were excellent again, the way we played through the lines, our bravery, but you don’t come here and expect to have it your own way for 90 minutes.

“They scored an outstanding goal just after half time and momentum in football is everything. We were sticking with it – not at our fluid best – but we limited them to very few chances.

“They scored the set play and it would have been easy for our lads to duck it. It would have been easy to feel sorry for ourselves but what we are trying to do here is create a mentality, keep believing, and the two lads who came off the bench had a serious impact. We scored from the corner and Cameron (Jerome) then produced some great movement and speed in behind, and it was game over.

“We hadn’t got a great record here, we have had some suffering, but I am delighted an proud of the performance, it was outstanding.”

Evatt had changed his line-up to compensate for Wycombe’s physicality but then saw the home side take advantage of man-for-man marking inside the penalty box with two incisive pieces of play from the edge of the area.

He said: “You have to do a little bit of everything here – you have to dig, fight, respect that they will have a spell. They didn’t have a lot of chances, the first was an outstanding effort, the second was a well-worked set play from the edge. When there are so many big players in the box you have to concede somewhere, and we did that on the edge, and credit to them, they took advantage.

“But my players didn’t give in, they didn’t sulk, they just got the ball on the halfway line again and went again.

“I am so proud of the mentality they showed because it takes all of those things.”

Wanderers go to Charlton on Saturday expecting a more technical type of opponent.

“It is another tough game but it throws up another type of challenge,” he said.

“That will be more of an open, expansive football match.

“Tonight we had to be brave to play your possession football but also to stand up to what they chuck at you. We did both sides really well.”

Source

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Another streaky win. Lucky to be 2-0 up at half-time thanks to our first goal being gift-wrapped by the chairboys goalie.

Dacres-Cogley always wants the ball on his right foot and, the otherwise excellent, Toal is also predominately right-footed. That means that the ball, instead of going down the left flank, is too often played to the feet of strikers whose control and ability to shield the ball is limited, very limited.

I assume Bodvarsson isn't getting on because he is not keen on playing the headless chicken role.

Don't get me started on Desperate Dan but a win's a win and the support was good.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum