Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Official - Coyle was crap - Reserves not good enough - under 18's our future!

5 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I've been a bit busy to post the last few days but post below an interesting article from 'Riviman' of TW about who said what at Thursdays BWSA meeting.

Interesting stuff (even though he doesn't know how to spell the name of Bolton's most iconic player since Lofthouse!).

Attended the meeting last night, along with at least 30 others !! However it was a good evening, the guests were Matt Mills,Stephen Warnock and John McGinley. Mills and Warnock were first up and talked about life at BWFC under Coyle and Freedman. Both saying that Freedman had altered training with more concentration on defending as a team when we don't have the ball, that he uses sports' science that Coyle didn't and how yoga had been introduced to help the players become more supple and so hopefully avoid certain types of injury. Work had also been done to improve the fitness of the squad. Warnock stated that he has to return to Villa when his loan runs out on 22nd December. You got the impression that he would like to stay if he had the opportunity.

McGinley didn't spend the time talking about "the old days" but rather about his thoughts on the Wanderers at the moment. The refreshing thing about his comments was that although he is a great friend of Coyle and as he doesn't have any ties to the club he didn't pull any punchies.

A quick summery of his comments that I can remember:

His initial feeling was that Freedman would be good for the club.

He was impressed when he met him at the Radio Manchester phone and that Freedman already knew a lot about the players and what he wanted to do.

He didn't think that any, other than Riley, in the U21 development squad would make the step up to the first team. His solution would be to scrap the team and promote the U18s who he thought would produce a number of first team players with Zac Clough being the star of the show.

Tom Eaves wouldn't make the step up to the first team and he felt that Eaves was probably playing at the right level, League 2.

Coyle signed Eaves as a possible replacement for Kevin Davies but that Eaves, despite his size, lacked the "bottle" to play in the same sort of role and that he wasn't a lone striker who could hold up the ball.
As we owe already Eddie Davies 130 million why not give another 10 million and buy a decent striker.

The most surprising statement, even surprising Marc Iles of the Bolton News, was that on the Sunday after the Millwall game a meeting with Gartside and Coyle it was agreed that Sammy Lee would step up from the academy as first team coach, this Coyle agreed to. However when Coyle went into training on Monday morning he was met by Gartside who told there had been a change in plan and he'd been sacked.

McGinley said that Coyle had a phone call from Blackpool about their job but Coyle didn't want to go, suggesting that Coyle wouldn't want to work with Oyston.

McGinley is back permanently from the states and is currently looking for a job, he returned because of family reasons, his sons all being over here.

There must be other points that I've forgotten so sorry if I've missed anything. Just a pity that because of BWSA's reputation of "oldies in cardigans" there weren't more there to hear 2 very eloquent footballers and the thoughts of Super John McGinley.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Thanks for that. Some interesting insights.

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That's quite a statement and very enlightening. I'd be interested to know which younger players are considered to be in the development squad - does that include those that have already made an appearance e.g. Wylde, Vela etc?

Also, what timescale is he looking at for the U18s to step up?

And are his thoughts shared by the management i.e. is there likely to be a move to get a lot more players off the books to make way for new boys?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:

6 days hopefully.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

6 days hopefully.

If they're good enough etc etc...

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:I've been a bit busy to post the last few days but post below an interesting article from 'Riviman' of TW about who said what at Thursdays BWSA meeting.

Interesting stuff (even though he doesn't know how to spell the name of Bolton's most iconic player since Lofthouse!).

Attended the meeting last night, along with at least 30 others !! However it was a good evening, the guests were Matt Mills,Stephen Warnock and John McGinley. Mills and Warnock were first up and talked about life at BWFC under Coyle and Freedman. Both saying that Freedman had altered training with more concentration on defending as a team when we don't have the ball, that he uses sports' science that Coyle didn't and how yoga had been introduced to help the players become more supple and so hopefully avoid certain types of injury. Work had also been done to improve the fitness of the squad. Warnock stated that he has to return to Villa when his loan runs out on 22nd December. You got the impression that he would like to stay if he had the opportunity.

McGinley didn't spend the time talking about "the old days" but rather about his thoughts on the Wanderers at the moment. The refreshing thing about his comments was that although he is a great friend of Coyle and as he doesn't have any ties to the club he didn't pull any punchies.

A quick summery of his comments that I can remember:

His initial feeling was that Freedman would be good for the club.

He was impressed when he met him at the Radio Manchester phone and that Freedman already knew a lot about the players and what he wanted to do.

He didn't think that any, other than Riley, in the U21 development squad would make the step up to the first team. His solution would be to scrap the team and promote the U18s who he thought would produce a number of first team players with Zac Clough being the star of the show.

Tom Eaves wouldn't make the step up to the first team and he felt that Eaves was probably playing at the right level, League 2.

Coyle signed Eaves as a possible replacement for Kevin Davies but that Eaves, despite his size, lacked the "bottle" to play in the same sort of role and that he wasn't a lone striker who could hold up the ball.
As we owe already Eddie Davies 130 million why not give another 10 million and buy a decent striker.

The most surprising statement, even surprising Marc Iles of the Bolton News, was that on the Sunday after the Millwall game a meeting with Gartside and Coyle it was agreed that Sammy Lee would step up from the academy as first team coach, this Coyle agreed to. However when Coyle went into training on Monday morning he was met by Gartside who told there had been a change in plan and he'd been sacked.

McGinley said that Coyle had a phone call from Blackpool about their job but Coyle didn't want to go, suggesting that Coyle wouldn't want to work with Oyston.

McGinley is back permanently from the states and is currently looking for a job, he returned because of family reasons, his sons all being over here.

There must be other points that I've forgotten so sorry if I've missed anything. Just a pity that because of BWSA's reputation of "oldies in cardigans" there weren't more there to hear 2 very eloquent footballers and the thoughts of Super John McGinley.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I know someone who went to the meeting and he reckoned there were only about 40 fans in total. A sad indictment of our squad when so few turn out to see the likes of Super John etc etc.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum