Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'We keep our receipts' - doubters inspire Bolton in promotion fight, says Evatt

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

'We keep our receipts' - doubters inspire Bolton in promotion fight, says Evatt 17818818

Ian Evatt reckons Wanderers are in exactly the right frame of mind for a crunch clash with promotion rivals Barnsley.

After a week of ups and downs for all involved at the Toughsheet Stadium, Saturday’s win against Cambridge United proved to be a timely confidence boost.

Wanderers have been in the top three for 21 of the last 23 weeks but go to Oakwell knowing their hosts could climb above them with a win.

Evatt reinforced the message that nothing would be settled regardless of tonight’s result but he knows the psychological importance that inching into second spot above Derby County could have for his team.

The Bolton boss is proud of the progression his team has made this season and believes the expectation carried by the club over the last seven months is not a burden.

“We always use the phrase that pressure is a privilege,” he told The Bolton News.

“We did good things last season, we won a cup, got to the play-offs, but we didn’t challenge at the top end of the league. This time we have been up where it really counts for the vast majority of the season, albeit we have been slightly unfortunate with the games we have been left in hand at times.

“The time is now, really. We have 11 games left and we should remember that. If we were to lose at Barnsley then it isn’t the end of the season by any means but we also know the importance of it and the message it could send to everyone else if we get a result we want.

“We are well prepared, we are ready, we are looking forward to it.

“These players are mentally very strong and we have worked hard on that in my tenure here.

“The doubters kind of inspire us. We keep our receipts, that is how it is.

“We know the challenge ahead of us.”

Wanderers enjoyed mixed fortunes at Oakwell last season – winning the league game 3-0 after Barnsley had an early red card, then losing a tight play-off semi-final a few months later.

The Tykes went on to Wembley but lost against Sheffield Wednesday, after which manager Michael Duff quit to join Swansea City and Neil Collins was brought in.

An evenly-contested 1-1 draw at Bolton earlier this season hinted at a change in style and Evatt expects more of the same tonight.

“They have changed a little bit from the play-off games, and last season, I’ll take more notice from the games they have played against our competitors and what they have done against similar tactical match ups,” he said.

“I also look at the game we played here. I think that gave us a great idea of what this one will look like, they will be aggressive, really dangerous on transition and turnovers, and we need to really pick our moments on when we play through and when we play over, if that makes sense.

“We have to be smart with our recognition of what the game is giving us. If it gives us space behind, we will take it, if it gives us the ability to create overloads in the middle of the pitch, we’ll do that.

“I think we need a fluidity and flexibility about us to recognise what their strategy is, then implement our own ideas. That’s everything we have discussed.

“They will fancy their chances but we believe in ourselves too, so it has the makings of a really good game.”

Wanderers have four games remaining before the international break, during which they expect to have Dion Charles, Nathan Baxter and potentially George Johnston back in action after injury.

Evatt’s short-term aim is to make sure his side are still within touching distance of the top two by the end of the month.

“I think that break is at a key time for us,” he said. “We need to get through these four games and do that in a position where we are still able to achieve our goal.

“If we can do that I am extremely confident that we can get the job done with the last seven games.

“We know this next four are a huge test. It won’t just be the two ones that everyone will perceive to be the big games, it will be Exeter away – not easy – Oxford here on the telly – not easy.

“The players are ready, that is what I’d say.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum