Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why the upcoming international break could be Wanderers' saviour this season

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Why the upcoming international break could be Wanderers' saviour this season 17819147

Wanderers hope to be a different prospect altogether after the upcoming international break.

Ian Evatt believes his side will be able to go up a gear following their game at Derby County on March 16, with the help of some much-needed time on the training ground.

The home game against Shrewsbury Town will be rescheduled to April – and almost certainly Tuesday 16 – because of international call-ups.

If Bolton can stay within striking distance of the automatic promotion spots before then, he feels the return of Dion Charles, Nathan Baxter and potentially George Johnston could all have a huge impact on the remaining seven matches.

“Within camp we’d looked at the block of four fixtures, including Barnsley, before the international break and I think that will be a key marker,” he said.

“I do think things will get better for us. We have had a really tough period in terms of winter football, injuries, suspensions, abandonments etc, everything will improve – hopefully the weather, the pitches, the squad with people returning from injury.

“We will have some key time on the grass, which we have not been able to have because of the number of fixtures we have had. One theme I have noticed with this group while I have been manager is that our best performances come off the back of time on the grass.

“When we have those clear periods of time where we can work on things, reinforce what our ideas and play really looks like, then I think the players really respond to it and perform at a higher level.

“I am looking forward to that, but I also know that these next 10 days are extremely important.”

Wanderers have played more games in 2024 than any other side in the division and will have topped 21 by the time they get a week off.

Evatt believes that some time working with his squad, and particularly those January signings who have had relatively little time in traditional training sessions to date, will be advantageous.

“I do love working with the players and the best part of it, for me, is spending time out there with the players on the grass, working with them,” he said.

“I like to manage people and I am into the mental mindset, the finer details. Working on things on the training ground then seeing them come to life on a Tuesday or a Saturday, whatever that may be, is really rewarding. I can’t wait to get that time to get us improving.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum