Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are We Really Respecting The Dead?

+6
Hipster_Nebula
Sgt. Bash
xmiles
aaron_bwfc
Reebok Trotter
Natasha Whittam
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Are We Really Respecting The Dead? Empty Are We Really Respecting The Dead? Mon Dec 17 2012, 12:28

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

After the sad events in Connecticut where 26 people were shot dead by some nutter, it appears the world has come to a standstill.

Film premieres have been cancelled, tv programmes postponed, and many other aspects of entertainment put on hold.

But is this right? Everyone is disgusted by the events in Connecticut but how does postponing tv programmes help the poor parents of the dead children? Do they even care - I doubt the fact the Jack Reacher premiere has been cancelled has even registered with them.

It's exactly the same in this country....films & tv programmes are always being cancelled in "respect to the dead". But how is it respecting the dead?

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The Jack Reacher Premiere is called ' One Shot ' and is based on a sniper shooting innocent people so it's understandable to delay the opening until the dust settles.

You do have a point though.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Natasha Whittam wrote:

But how is it respecting the dead?

Kind of agree with you on this and to be honest i'm not sure really, if you told the parents that some film premier has been cancelled I doubt it's going to make them feel any better considering their child has just been killed.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Genuinely respecting the dead would involve the Americans passing some kind of sensible gun control law. But all they will do is indulge in the nauseous hysteria that we always see since Princess Di's death (which would have been avoided if she had been wearing a seat belt and the driver hadn't been drunk and speeding).

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

President Obama is supposed to be the most powerful man in the world, yet he's apparently scared of the gun nut association that is the NRA. I take it they really run America then?! Grow some balls America, ban guns, tell the NRA to do one and save future innocent kids lives. As pointed out, that would be the best way to respect the memory of the dead in this tragedy.

Last edited by Lt. Boon on Mon Dec 17 2012, 15:49; edited 1 time in total

I sleep with a gun under my pillow. You never know when a slut is going to try and get some revenge.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

You may already have seen this but here it is anyway.

http://www.nevillehobson.com/wp-content/uploads/lastyearhandgunskilled.jpg

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's a good poster but must be over 20 years old.

No way were only 8 people killed by handguns in the UK last year. Or any recent year.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Natasha Whittam wrote:It's a good poster but must be over 20 years old.

No way were only 8 people killed by handguns in the UK last year. Or any recent year.

You are right. A quick bit of research shows that both the UK and USA figures may be dubious. In 2011 there were 58 murders by firearms (not just handguns) in the UK (equivalent to 290 US murders after adjusting for population size) and 8775 murders by firearms in 2010 in America.

10Are We Really Respecting The Dead? Empty Re: Are We Really Respecting The Dead? Mon Dec 17 2012, 14:46

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't see what Obama is scared of now tbh. His 2 terms are done.

He should seek to ban assault rifles as has been mooted and seek to add another level of checks/etc before acquiring a handgun.

No, obviously won't solve anything, but america is too far down the road on which it will never accept a ban of any sort on handguns, just no way. And if a republican gets in next time they will repeal all these acts and rinse repeat.

11Are We Really Respecting The Dead? Empty Re: Are We Really Respecting The Dead? Mon Dec 17 2012, 14:59

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:rinse repeat.

:dontgetit:

12Are We Really Respecting The Dead? Empty Re: Are We Really Respecting The Dead? Mon Dec 17 2012, 15:00

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:rinse repeat.

:dontgetit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lather,_rinse,_repeat

13Are We Really Respecting The Dead? Empty Re: Are We Really Respecting The Dead? Mon Dec 17 2012, 15:24

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

A piece in the paper this morning says that since Martin Luther King was assassinated over 1 million people in America have died as a result of gun crime. It's the Telegraph- so a bit right wing but probably well researched and accurate.

Another 80 people inthe USA will die today because of gun crime.

They're suppsed to be intelligent- when will they ever learn?

Since the horrific events in Dunblane 16 years ago,getting a private licence to hold a gun legally in the UK has been almost impossible

14Are We Really Respecting The Dead? Empty Re: Are We Really Respecting The Dead? Mon Dec 17 2012, 15:41

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Changing the 2nd amendment requires Senate intervention and the Republican Senate includes Senators who are basically sponsored by the NRA. It's got f*** all to do with Obama being scared (or even scarred) - it's because any Bill to change the Constitution would be shot down in flames (sic)

15Are We Really Respecting The Dead? Empty Re: Are We Really Respecting The Dead? Mon Dec 17 2012, 15:48

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

rammywhite wrote:Since the horrific events in Dunblane 16 years ago,getting a private licence to hold a gun legally in the UK has been almost impossible

You'd be surpised how easy it is to get a gun licence these days. I know several people who legally have guns in their house. They do have to have it locked in a gun cabinet.

16Are We Really Respecting The Dead? Empty Re: Are We Really Respecting The Dead? Mon Dec 17 2012, 15:51

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bernard Dennis Park wrote:

You'd be surpised how easy it is to get a gun licence these days. I know several people who legally have guns in their house. They do have to have it locked in a gun cabinet.

Stop bragging about your links to the criminal underworld. It's not big and it's not clever.

17Are We Really Respecting The Dead? Empty Re: Are We Really Respecting The Dead? Mon Dec 17 2012, 15:59

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I don't think I've mentioned any links to the criminal underworld. I do obviously have some though.

18Are We Really Respecting The Dead? Empty Re: Are We Really Respecting The Dead? Mon Dec 17 2012, 16:00

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bernard Dennis Park wrote:I don't think I've mentioned any links to the criminal underworld. I do obviously have some though.

Hookers on speed dial doesn't count.

19Are We Really Respecting The Dead? Empty Re: Are We Really Respecting The Dead? Mon Dec 17 2012, 16:02

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

:facepalm:

20Are We Really Respecting The Dead? Empty Re: Are We Really Respecting The Dead? Mon Dec 17 2012, 16:02

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Stop using that facepalm smiley.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum