Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton/Sunderland v Cheltenham/Everton

+7
terenceanne
observer
NickFazer
aaron_bwfc
gloswhite
Sgt. Bash
Sluffy
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Is it worth bothering with the cup this year?

Tough game against Everton next if we beat Sunderland.

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Make 11 changes for the replay Dougie, we need league points more than a run in a cup we have no hope of winning.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Ideal situation for me is Bolton versus Cheltenham. My team versus my local team. (wonder what the odds of this happening). If it happens, which I doubt, it won't be an easy game for us, there again, maybe Sunderland won't fancy another premier meeting, and field a weakened team for our replay.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Fuck em I say give it a go, winning breeds confidence.

I personally don't think we will beat sunderland but if we do then that can only be a good thing IMO.

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I love the FA Cup and think we should go for it at Sunderland, if we don't relish the opportunity to knock out a Premier League team on their own patch than we should give it up. We had some fantastic wins in this competition when last at this level or below, winning 2-0 at Anfield, of the best nights ever.

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

NickFazer wrote:I love the FA Cup and think we should go for it at Sunderland, if we don't relish the opportunity to knock out a Premier League team on their own patch than we should give it up. We had some fantastic wins in this competition when last at this level or below, winning 2-0 at Anfield, of the best nights ever.
Sunderland has not done that well this year and have a worse GD than we do. They are absolutely beatable and it's a shame we didn't finish the job we started at the Reebok. If Joe Riley had remained healthy, we might have.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

2-0 Cheltenham Evil or Very Mad

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think we aren't ready to beat Sunderland although it would be a pleasant surprise if we did.

WhiteBic

WhiteBic
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Lt. Boon wrote:Make 11 changes for the replay Dougie, we need league points more than a run in a cup we have no hope of winning.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Whats wrong with going for both ? DF can't get a consistenat first 11, and the second team play as well, if not better than the first. We have enough players, and they all seem to be of a similar quality, (unfortunately). If your going to put a team out, then bloody well play to win.

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

gloswhite wrote:Whats wrong with going for both ? DF can't get a consistenat first 11, and the second team play as well, if not better than the first. We have enough players, and they all seem to be of a similar quality, (unfortunately). If your going to put a team out, then bloody well play to win.

So you think we have a chance of promotion as well as lifting the FA Cup this season?! At least you're optimistic, but I prefer to be a realist.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

As a realist, you would do what, ignore some opportunities to play your bench-warmers? I don't think we will get promotion this season, and thats being realistic, nor do I think we will win the cup. I'm more interested in changing the mentality of the team from 'competing' to 'competing and winning'. Until we get the 'must impress the boss' outlook changed to the 'we must win this game' aim instilled, we will be rolling along, with no real direction. I see nothing wrong with playing competitive games to get the players motivated. After all, which would you prefer as a player, to try and impress the boss playing your teammates, (week in, week out), or showing that you can adapt to different players, tactics, and teams ? To do this, you need to play competitive games, no matter what the level or tournament. My optimism leads me to believe that the team will start to recover after the January window, and that we will be in a respectable position to build on it next season, with the playoffs or promotion achieved at the end of it.

I think we will find that our hopes and aims aren't that far apart. Whether they are being realistic or not, time will tell.

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

gloswhite wrote:As a realist, you would do what, ignore some opportunities to play your bench-warmers? I don't think we will get promotion this season, and thats being realistic, nor do I think we will win the cup. I'm more interested in changing the mentality of the team from 'competing' to 'competing and winning'. Until we get the 'must impress the boss' outlook changed to the 'we must win this game' aim instilled, we will be rolling along, with no real direction. I see nothing wrong with playing competitive games to get the players motivated. After all, which would you prefer as a player, to try and impress the boss playing your teammates, (week in, week out), or showing that you can adapt to different players, tactics, and teams ? To do this, you need to play competitive games, no matter what the level or tournament. My optimism leads me to believe that the team will start to recover after the January window, and that we will be in a respectable position to build on it next season, with the playoffs or promotion achieved at the end of it.

I think we will find that our hopes and aims aren't that far apart. Whether they are being realistic or not, time will tell.

Good reply. I don't totally disagree with you either. My only point really is that we have 0% chance of winning the FA Cup and still about a 10% chance of getting promoted this season. I know which I'd rather we concentrated on. I take your point about the players needing to change the mentality, but we have plenty of Championship games left this season for them to do it in, we don't need to risk injuries and suspentions by playing a full team in a cup competition we simply can't win at the moment.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Good points, and to be honest I hadn't thought about the injuries, mainly because we have lots of average skilled players, which can currently be swapped on a 'one out, one in' basis, with no real difference in the team's performance. However, I think such considerations will come into play once DF has some of his new players, and injured ones returned, and we start to build the backbone of a more successful team. When this happens, then bench-warmers will have even less opportunity to step up to the mark. Although accepting your points, I still feel that, at this time, we would benefit from going for both fronts, (after all, its only for the next week or so Very Happy )

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

For what it's worth, we're playing Everton at home if we beat Sunderland in the replay as Everton beat Cheltenham 5-1 tonight.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Yep, I would have liked to see us play Cheltenham, as its my local team. Alas, not to be !

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I am frequently surprised how successive managers have stuck with basically the same team regardless of our results. The only thing I can put this down to is that the fringe players haven't looked the part in training. But training isn't the same as a competitive match so why not use the cup to see what they're like in a real game against PL opposition?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:I am frequently surprised how successive managers have stuck with basically the same team regardless of our results.

Freedman was always going to be a Coyle clone. I fully expect him to buy some Burnley reject before the end of the month.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What happened to that fat goalie they had? Liked him, if only for the comedy value.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:What happened to that fat goalie they had? Liked him, if only for the comedy value.

Do you mean the Danish Keeper Brian Jensen, they nicknamed ' The Beast ' ? I think he has retired. He was a decent keeper on his day.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum