Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is it safe to assume Freedman is a genius?

+3
Boggersbelief
wanderlust
doffcocker
7 posters

Reply to topic

What do you think?

Is it safe to assume Freedman is a genius? Vote_lcap45%Is it safe to assume Freedman is a genius? Vote_rcap 45% [ 13 ]
Is it safe to assume Freedman is a genius? Vote_lcap41%Is it safe to assume Freedman is a genius? Vote_rcap 41% [ 12 ]
Is it safe to assume Freedman is a genius? Vote_lcap14%Is it safe to assume Freedman is a genius? Vote_rcap 14% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 29

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Dougie has truly turned it round at Bolton in the final third of the season. As a result, most fans won't have a bad word said about him. Some are certain he's taking us up next season, some even think we'd have gone up this season had he been here to begin with.

But what I want to put forward is why there's still room for argument that recent events in terms of results aren't necessarily a sign of things to come and aren't entirely owed to or a representation of Dougie's intelligence.

Today's team selection was far from the first I've found it difficult to defend. He plainly did brilliantly in bringing in Medo and Craig Dawson, but the signing of a highly influential loan player from a Premier League club and a largely underpriced midfielder from overseas within months of appointment was a feat also achieved by Owen Coyle, whose intelligence we now can't poke enough fun at. Another large factor has been the improvement in individual performances who had previously been viewed as poor signings, namely Pratley, Alonso and Ngog. This was also considered key in terms of the value Coyle initially added to the club. But the final and most crucial point for me is the difference it has made to our play that Kevin Davies, who was still a big part of Dougie's short-term plans until the sourness regarding his contract began, has finally been omitted entirely from the squad in favor the basically better Ngog, CDavies, Sordell and Tom Eaves. On that basis, you could argue that one of Dougie's most crucial decisions was one made on non-footballing grounds, and we'd have otherwise been out of the running for a play-off place a long time ago.

If you interpret this as a belief that Dougie is no good, you read it wrong. All in all, I'm looking forward to next season. What I'm saying is the apparent progress we've made is meager basis to feel certain that Dougie is a safe pair of hands who will take the club a long way.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's safe to assume we don't know as yet.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He's showing signs of becoming a very good manager, Let's not forget he's only been a manager for 2 and a half years?

He's made mistakes and will no doubt make a few more, but the difference between him and coyle is that dougie admits he made a mistake and leans from it. We were all baffled by the inclusion of hall and a formation of 451 but dougie drew up a plan that he thought would work - I think he underestimated their attack a little.

Overall the pros far outweigh the cons, With a summer transfer window and pre season to stamp his authority on his own team I can see us being real contenders for the title, especially with the return of Holden.

One thing he needs to address is our away form, 4 wins all season is awful but that's down to shit defenders.

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Dougie's BWFC record so far is:

P36W15D12L9- That's a win % of 41.67
We've only lost 5 league games in 2013. Since Owen Coyle was shown the door, we've been a team with upward momentum again.

That said, 7th at level 2 is our lowest league finish for quite some time. I do however feel that if we had Dougie from the start of the season, we would have at least made the play-offs.

I'm looking forward to a full Coyle free season next time around anyway...

Born to be a wanderer

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

I doubt he is a genius but a forward thinking manager,who had to come in and sort out our main problem the defence.We were leaking 2 goals a game too many times .Dawson made a difference and when mark Davies and Eagles were on song we played some great football v Hull for example.Yesterday the defence was shambolic nerves i don't know but Ricketts ,Knight Alonso and ream were chasing shadows for the 1st and2nd goals.We were not good enough only Eagles showed attacking prowess with his goal and setting up Craig Davies.The summer will tell all.The season starts 3rd August lets hit the ground running.

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Got to sort the defence out no question, we are clueless at the back without Dawson. With a full summer to get in some new players and move on some of those not up to it [easier said than done] I'm optimistic about getting off to a good start in August and building from there. In the main Dougie has done a great job so far and although maybe not a genius at least he has the confidence to try new things and abandon it if it isn't working.

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

The thing Dougie has in his favour is a good number 2 in Lennie Lawrence. The secret behind a good manager is havong a good partnership with a good number 2. Look at Big Sam and Little Sam, they work great together.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum