Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Wanderers to overhaul scouting system

+3
wanderlust
Natasha Whittam
Sluffy
7 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

WANDERERS’ approach to player recruitment and analysis is set to get a Premier League-style makeover.

The summer of change at the Reebok has already seen a total overhaul of the club’s medical staff, and that is now set to spread into the scouting department.

Dougie Freedman is keen to move away from a “man in the stand” approach to recruitment and has ordered a number of new roles to be created in his back-room to improve data analysis on potential new signings, opposition players and the performance of those already in his squad.

The new-look department will be masterminded by Brian Prestige, who has been with Wanderers for nine years and was part of a similar set-up in the days of Sam Allardyce.

Prestige has been at a conference in New York over the last week, where the keynote speaker was newly-appointed Manchester United boss David Moyes.

Sporting organisations from all over the world attended the Leaders in Performance event, which focused on ways elite talent can be identified and developed.

And it is understood that the recruitment and analysis model employed by Moyes at his former club Everton will provide the blueprint for what Wanderers are trying to achieve.

Freedman is excited about the changes in player analysis, which have already provided him with a shortlist of players to chase this summer.

“Gone are the days where you’ve got a bloke stood behind the goal with a flat cap watching players for the club and scribbling notes down on a notepad,” he told The Bolton News. “That might be how other people like to do it, but we want to come at it a from a different way completely.

“We are making quite a few changes behind the scenes that the fans might not see but that I think will have a really positive effect on the way we work here.

“Brian will be working very closely with Mark Leather and that will provide the basis of how we sign players, based on their physical attributes.”

Another familiar face, Lee Sargeson, will continue in his role with the development squad but a handful of other new staff will be added in the coming weeks.

Vinny North, who worked with Freedman at Crystal Palace, is due to be made head of opposition analysis, while another appointment is also to be announced from a Premier League club.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

Dougie Freedman is keen to move away from a “man in the stand” approach to recruitment

Yes, why would we want to see a player in action when we have YouTube.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm astounded they admit to not having an efficient and informed scouting system in place. How could they not with so much at stake?
And what's this about recruiting players on the basis of "their physical attributes"? Is he only going to sign blondes? Or giants?

waynagain

waynagain
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

New look? , but the guy has been there for 7 years!!!

Physical attributes - we had an American kid who was so fast that he had qualified for the USA Olympic team. He was faster than anybody in the league, but when he got to the ball he couldn't do any thing. Is that the knid of player they are talking about?

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wayneagain, Living in America you may be familiar with the career of Renaldo " Skeets " Nehemiah? In the late seventies and early eighties he was the World record holder at the 110 metre hurdles which he could cover in under 13 seconds.

In 1982 he left athletics and signed up for San Francisco 49ers American Football team as a wide receiver. He was incredibly quick but his ball handling didn't match his speed. He only caught 43 passes in his whole career. After a couple of years I think he went back to Athletics.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:I'm astounded they admit to not having an efficient and informed scouting system in place.

I would have thought it was blindingly obvious with the signings we've had during the Megson and Coyle years.

Anyone can buy a player or two that turn out crap but we do it neatly every time - Jesus, think of how many we've had - Knight, Elmander, Sordell, Ngog, Robinson, Ream, Mills, etc - how much money have we pissed away?

I can't get over Gartside once saying that he doesn't involve himself with the footballing side of the club - feck me but who then is responsible for the millions and millions of pounds of money that we've wasted on people we've signed presumably because they said they like playing ping pong and carpet bowls?

Cahill aside I don't think there is any other player we've made a profit on from Megson and Coyle's signings.

Criminal really.

Thanks Gary, cheers Owen.

waynagain

waynagain
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Reebok Trotter wrote:Wayneagain, Living in America you may be familiar with the career of Renaldo " Skeets " Nehemiah? In the late seventies and early eighties he was the World record holder at the 110 metre hurdles which he could cover in under 13 seconds.

In 1982 he left athletics and signed up for San Francisco 49ers American Football team as a wide receiver. He was incredibly quick but his ball handling didn't match his speed. He only caught 43 passes in his whole career. After a couple of years I think he went back to Athletics.

I remember him - both as runner and a football player. I can't remember the American's name (maybe Sluffy can)who was at Bolton, but he was a similar story, just never got the big money that Nehemia did.

waynagain

waynagain
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Gartside doesn't get involved on the footballing side?, then why didn't he give Big Sam 4 million to buy Eto?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

waynagain wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:Wayneagain, Living in America you may be familiar with the career of Renaldo " Skeets " Nehemiah? In the late seventies and early eighties he was the World record holder at the 110 metre hurdles which he could cover in under 13 seconds.

I remember him - both as runner and a football player. I can't remember the American's name (maybe Sluffy can)who was at Bolton, but he was a similar story, just never got the big money that Nehemia did.

Johann Smith

waynagain

waynagain
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Sluffy comes through again

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I remember him.

He was shit.

waynagain

waynagain
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Bernard Dennis Park wrote:I remember him.

He was shit.

He was hired because of his physical abilities - that's the 'new plan' for the future, get used to seeing some more shit' Then again they could be as fast as 'shit off a shovel', but still shit

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Tom Eaves is a big strapping old fashioned centre forward type. I wonder if he will fit the bill.

waynagain

waynagain
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Reebok Trotter wrote:Tom Eaves is a big strapping old fashioned centre forward type. I wonder if he will fit the bill.

just like Big Kev then

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I'll try any changes .... can't be any worse than it is now.  Put on a world wide manhunt for our next signing :good:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum