Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bert Trautmann

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bert Trautmann Empty Bert Trautmann Fri Jul 19 2013, 22:15

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Has died aged 89 (as most of you are probably aware of).

What a life and story he had.

A German paratrooper, a POW in Lancashire and fearless Man City goalkeeper.

I remember seeing the documentary about him and at the end he said that he felt more English than German.

Would you accept a captured Al Qaeda fighter playing in goal for Bolton?

That's probably the modern equivalent in terms of what Bert and Man City fans at the time had to think about.

I tip my hat to him.

2Bert Trautmann Empty Re: Bert Trautmann Fri Jul 19 2013, 22:22

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Although we were at war, we had a lot in common with the Krauts. Hitler didn't really have a gripe with the UK but we had to step in and draw the line because no other bugger would.

Many years ago I came across a German geezer through work. His name was Herman and he was a German prisoner of war. When the war was over he stayed in the UK and married an English woman. He worked nights as a security guard and he was actually quite a decent sort. The way he explained it to me was that he had no choice because all young German men had to join the Army unless they had a serious medical condition.

The French were our allies in the 2nd World War but we still have more affinity with the Germans than the French.

3Bert Trautmann Empty Re: Bert Trautmann Fri Jul 19 2013, 22:30

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Didn't he play on with a broken neck ?

4Bert Trautmann Empty Re: Bert Trautmann Fri Jul 19 2013, 22:31

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:Didn't he play on with a broken neck ?

He did. He came out for a ball and got clattered with about 18 minutes left on the clock.

5Bert Trautmann Empty Re: Bert Trautmann Fri Jul 19 2013, 22:58

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Reebok Trotter wrote:Although we were at war, we had a lot in common with the Krauts. Hitler didn't really have a gripe with the UK but we had to step in and draw the line because no other bugger would.

Many years ago I came across a German geezer through work. His name was Herman and he was a German prisoner of war. When the war was over he stayed in the UK and married an English woman. He worked nights as a security guard and he was actually quite a decent sort. The way he explained it to me was that he had no choice because all young German men had to join the Army unless they had a serious medical condition.

The French were our allies in the 2nd World War but we still have more affinity with the Germans than the French.

With Manchester being bombed repeatedly over the course of the war, many people would have seen him as the murdering Fritz.

I think that Trautmann's early days in England say as much about the people of Lancashire as they did about him.

6Bert Trautmann Empty Re: Bert Trautmann Sat Jul 20 2013, 10:01

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Copper Dragon wrote:

I think that Trautmann's early days in England say as much about the people of Lancashire as they did about him.

Very true.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]