Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Home games v away games

3 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Home games v away games Empty Home games v away games Sun Aug 04 2013, 20:06

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Yesterday we saw a fairly defensive line up with both Medo and Andrews sitting in front of the back four, which personally I thought was our downfall. Ok it worked as Burnley didn't look like scoring and the goal they got was a lucky deflection off Wheater's boot that wrong-footed Bogdan who had his post covered. But playing two defensive mids limited our own attacking ambitions.
If last season is anything to go by, we can expect Dougie to make changes for the Reading game - even though they are a much more potent attacking threat than Burnley.
I'd expect to see Andrews or Medo dropped in favour of an attack-minded mid or an extra striker - possibly bringing in Moritz or Ngog from the start.
Question is there a big enough difference between playing home and playing away to justify changing the shape of the team?
I would have thought that if we have a successful attacking lineup in home matches and we have ambitions to win the league, it might make sense to take the attacking system on the road so we can take the game to "less fancied" opposition - rather than set our stall out to soak up pressure and try to score on the counter (which we aren't very good at!)
I guarantee that the likes of Reading, QPR, Wigan and others will come to the Reebok fully intending to take the game to us.
So should we pick a system and stick to it?

2Home games v away games Empty Re: Home games v away games Sun Aug 04 2013, 20:23

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I don't have a problem with a more cautious system away from home, as long as we have attacking options on the bench if we go behind or if we are in the ascendency.

3Home games v away games Empty Re: Home games v away games Mon Aug 05 2013, 07:47

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

NickFazer wrote:I don't have a problem with a more cautious system away from home, as long as we have attacking options on the bench if we go behind or if we are in the ascendency.

Agreed always need a plan B to respond to the game situation, but I'm asking your opinion as regards how we start games based on the idea that if we start off taking it the opposition they'd be reticent to push their players forward so much.

4Home games v away games Empty Re: Home games v away games Mon Aug 05 2013, 09:34

I wouldn't play 442 but I would start Moritz or another attacking midfielder in place of Andrews, and think we could do with more pace to hit teams on the break more. The biggest thing we've lost from Alonso's move to Fiorentina is his marauding runs down the left, he was a really good out ball for us, we need to make sure we replace that width as both Eagles and Lee tend to drift inside more.

5Home games v away games Empty Re: Home games v away games Mon Aug 05 2013, 09:42

Jamster26

Jamster26
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I think that's Dougie's plan, for the wingers to cut inside. Not exactly a fan of this myself, I'd prefer Winger to stay on the wings and stretch the game.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum