Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bygone Bolton

+2
Reebok Trotter
Banks of the Croal
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bygone Bolton Empty Bygone Bolton Fri Mar 02 2012, 20:52

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

2Bygone Bolton Empty Re: Bygone Bolton Sun Mar 04 2012, 15:56

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Very interesting. So many pubs have disappeared since that footage.

3Bygone Bolton Empty Re: Bygone Bolton Sun Mar 04 2012, 16:01

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

We've got this on VHS. Very interesting!

I bought The Family Way a few weeks ago simply because it was filmed in Bolton. That was a good watch!

4Bygone Bolton Empty Re: Bygone Bolton Sun Mar 04 2012, 16:14

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

So let me get this right, The Commercial Hotel was closed and demolished in 1973, to make way for Mothercare - of which the building now houses Barclays (ps where is Mothercare nowaday) - what a shame as from the photo's I have seen it look liked a great building. But that seems to be typical Bolton - knock down well built interesting building for moew modern designs which won't last half the time :-(

Another example being Bolton College on Manchester Road - what a great building and could have easily been turned into Offices and/or apartments - but has been pulled down :-(

5Bygone Bolton Empty Re: Bygone Bolton Sun Mar 04 2012, 17:11

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc71 wrote:
Another example being Bolton College on Manchester Road - what a great building and could have easily been turned into Offices and/or apartments - but has been pulled down :-(

I agree. It could have been sold to private developers and converted in luxury apartments or alternatively it could have been made into a halfway house for asylum seekers.

6Bygone Bolton Empty Re: Bygone Bolton Sun Mar 04 2012, 17:49

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Probably didn't have enough mod-cons for asylum seekers.

Banksy, thanks for that. I forwarded the link to my brother-in-law in South Africa, who left in the 70's, it'll liven the old bugger up for a few days.

7Bygone Bolton Empty Re: Bygone Bolton Sun Mar 04 2012, 18:52

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I work for bolton college and trust me the building on Manny road was a disaster inside, did the right thing by knocking it down and re-developing the land, not sure what they are doing with the land yet to be honest.

Plus we are now in a swanky new building so it's all good. Very Happy

8Bygone Bolton Empty Re: Bygone Bolton Sun Mar 04 2012, 19:20

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Thanks gloswhite, just watched Bygone (2)
It's more our era, mostly ,60's and 70's.
The Circus Coming to town.
The Fair being on Moor lane.
Remember the Flood of 64?
Brazilian team training at Bromwich st. Pele.

9Bygone Bolton Empty Re: Bygone Bolton Sun Mar 04 2012, 19:36

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Wasn't there for the floods, as we moved down to London just before they happened. As I went through the clips, i saw even more being listed. Saw them to the end of 3, which stopped short, but no sign of part 4 unfortunately. Always remember going into town to the Grammar school, (nr 38 or 39 bus from Haslam Park in Deane), before they moved it out of time. Good times indeed

10Bygone Bolton Empty Re: Bygone Bolton Sun Mar 04 2012, 20:42

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

aaron_bwfc wrote:I work for bolton college and trust me the building on Manny road was a disaster inside, did the right thing by knocking it down and re-developing the land, not sure what they are doing with the land yet to be honest.

The building itself was in good nick and good design but the inside, of course, could have been completely gutted and re-designed - the same can also apply to the old Odeon/Bingo Hall, which was demolished.

That is another thing that is completely spoiling Bolton town centre, the number of buildings that are being pulled down and nothing has replaced them so just empty spaces with building rubble and weeds!

11Bygone Bolton Empty Re: Bygone Bolton Sun Mar 04 2012, 20:43

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

[quote="Reebok Trotter"]
bwfc71 wrote:I agree. It could have been sold to private developers and converted in luxury apartments or alternatively it could have been made into a halfway house for asylum seekers.

Are you sure it was big enough to be a half-way house for asylum seekers (mainly those from the country of Blackburn Twisted Evil )

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum