Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Blast from the Past - Tranmere 2-2 Bolton - 4th May 1997

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Angry Colin Todd Colin Todd saw his Bolton team denied a place in soccer history with just seconds of the season left yesterday - and then blasted Tranmere player-boss John Aldridge.

Lee Jones struck a dramatic injury-time equaliser to wreck Wanderers hopes of becoming the first team to achieve the double ton of 100 points and 100 goals.

But boss Todd was more upset by Aldridge, whom he accused of winding up Bolton fans by gesturing that the runaway First Division champions would come straight back down next season. Todd said: "I reminded my players before the game that John Aldridge had had a right go at us after we had played them at our place and won 1-0 earlier this season.

"He said we weren't good enough to go up. We proved him wrong. I think we will prove him wrong again next season by staying up.

"The players interpreted his gesture as meaning we would go

straight back down. He was having a go at our supporters and it was totally uncalled for.

"He's a manager with a lot to learn. I certainly wouldn't do things like that.

"We are where we are because of the way we have performed consistently throughout a brilliant season."

Aldridge, who had continued his running feud with the 6,000-strong Bolton travelling army by waving sarcastically at them after scoring Tranmere's first equaliser from the penalty spot, was unrepentant after his team had become the great party spoilers.

The former Liverpool ace said: "You could say it was a very satisfying result. I am used to be being baited by the Bolton fans. And I dedicate my goal to them.

"It is going to be hard for Bolton next season. I am sure Colin Todd will know that and will have his plans. The man he has got to try to emulate is Jim Smith at Derby.

"A point is nothing less than we deserved. Over the 90 minutes I thought we should have won."

John McGinlay John McGinlay put Bolton ahead with his 30th goal of the season midway through the first half and Wanderers prepared for a party.

But after a half-time rollicking from Aldridge, Tranmere played like men possessed, and Bolton keeper Keith Branagan pulled off superb saves from Graham Branch and Jones before Aldridge netted his 20th goal of the season from the spot after being pulled down by Branagan.

Jamie Pollock put Bolton back in front with when completing the century of league goals with just 14 minutes left.

And the Lancashire club were just seconds away from their place in the record books when Liverpool loanee Jones struck his fifth goal for Tranmere to leave Bolton stuck on 98 points.

Todd added: "To get so close to 100 points and then be denied by virtually the last kick of the season is a huge disappointment.

"The players are a bit flat, but it shouldn't detract from our achievements in what has been a great season."

From the Daily Mirror

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum