Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Password Wankers

+5
doffcocker
Sluffy
Culcheth_White
karlypants
Natasha Whittam
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Password Wankers Empty Password Wankers Wed Oct 16 2013, 19:33

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The scariest word in the English language is 'password'. Everything these days requires a fucking password. Before long we'll need a password to use the toilet or walk down the street.

I get that certain things need passwords, but they seem to have become more important than common sense. Sky are a prime example. I first got Sky about 10 years ago, and to be honest I don't think I've phoned them in the last two or three years. But yesterday I wanted to get rid of Sky Sports as it's shite and I hardly use it.

Of course they wanted a password I set up 10 years ago and I only had three chances to get it right. Was it my then boyfriend's name (Rupert) or my favourite footballer (SteveHowey) or my dog's name (McGinlay). It was none of them.

And that was it, they could do nothing more. They weren't even prepared to set up a new password in case I wasn't Natasha Whittam and this was just a con to hack her account. So all I can do is write to them to cancel the account and apply for another one - it can take upto 30 days. Ridiculous.

And don't even get me started on banks.

It's 2013, surely there's something better than passwords?

2Password Wankers Empty Re: Password Wankers Wed Oct 16 2013, 19:38

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:The scariest word in the English language is 'password'. Everything these days requires a fucking password. Before long we'll need a password to use the toilet or walk down the street.

I get that certain things need passwords, but they seem to have become more important than common sense. Sky are a prime example. I first got Sky about 10 years ago, and to be honest I don't think I've phoned them in the last two or three years. But yesterday I wanted to get rid of Sky Sports as it's shite and I hardly use it.

Of course they wanted a password I set up 10 years ago and I only had three chances to get it right. Was it my then boyfriend's name (Rupert) or my favourite footballer (SteveHowey) or my dog's name (McGinlay). It was none of them.

And that was it, they could do nothing more. They weren't even prepared to set up a new password in case I wasn't Natasha Whittam and this was just a con to hack her account. So all I can do is write to them to cancel the account and apply for another one - it can take upto 30 days. Ridiculous.

And don't even get me started on banks.

It's 2013, surely there's something better than passwords?
I certainly get frustrated by these. I forgot my password for my itunes account a while back and had to reset the password to something new only this time it had to contain a minimum of 8 characters and had to contain letters and numbers and a fucking capital letter!!! ::mad::

3Password Wankers Empty Re: Password Wankers Wed Oct 16 2013, 19:44

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Any you can't get into your account simply with your name, address and account number?

4Password Wankers Empty Re: Password Wankers Wed Oct 16 2013, 19:45

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I just use the same password all the time. "Natashawhittam69"

5Password Wankers Empty Re: Password Wankers Wed Oct 16 2013, 19:46

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Culcheth_White wrote:I just use the same password all the time. "Natashawhittam69"
lol!

6Password Wankers Empty Re: Password Wankers Wed Oct 16 2013, 19:49

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Funnily enough I'm having a problem with my BT account at the moment over a password.

I need to go on my BT 'home' account to change a few things but I can't get past the security question of what is my favorite name?

I can't even remember being asked that question on set up of the account - and have answered with all the obvious names - but no, none of them.

I can't seem get the question changed to one whose answer I might remember and it seems no one can help via the internet because of security issues, so my only hope seems to speak to one of their advisers via the phone.

Good news - its a free call - 0800 number.

Bad news I've tried three times now and given up after spending well over an hour combined without getting through.

Even then, and from experience, I know when I do I'll be speaking to someone in India with an accent ranging from better English than I to someone speaking Martian for all I know!

With my luck I know which I'm going to get too!

Wish me luck!

7Password Wankers Empty Re: Password Wankers Wed Oct 16 2013, 20:38

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I have a folder on my computer with all my passwords saved. Otherwise, it would drive me insane.

What angers me more than anything is being asked for specific characters from a password or "secret answer"?

"Could I please have characters 1, 3 and 7 from of your secret answer?"

Why can't I just give my secret answer in full? It's easier.

8Password Wankers Empty Re: Password Wankers Wed Oct 16 2013, 20:43

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:I have a folder on my computer with all my passwords saved. Otherwise, it would drive me insane.

What angers me more than anything is being asked for specific characters from a password or "secret answer"?

"Could I please have characters 1, 3 and 7 from of your secret answer?"

Why can't I just give my secret answer in full? It's easier.
There is a good reason for this to be honest Doffcocker.

If your PC had a keylogger that was sending the information back to the person who hacked your PC and put it there then they would have all the password if you simply typed it all in as well as the username you just typed in before, where as when asking for characters 1, 3 and 7 for example makes it harder for the hacker to get all that password when typing in also the same with if they are drop down boxes if you get what i mean.

It's not really a wise idea to have a folder on your PC with all your passwords in either to be honest, unless they are not passwords to important information etc.

9Password Wankers Empty Re: Password Wankers Thu Oct 17 2013, 19:01

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Passwords are a necessity, and if you don't treat them sensibly, you are asking for trouble, and if you've got a memory like a sieve, (like me) then write them down and stick them somewher well away from the pc, or even find a way to disguise them if you keep thenm on your pc, (but not a good idea)

10Password Wankers Empty Re: Password Wankers Thu Oct 17 2013, 19:33

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I used to have one password for absolutely everything.

Now some companies make you change it every month, some want a combination of letters, numbers and characters, and some want a 100 digit code.

Twats.

11Password Wankers Empty Re: Password Wankers Fri Oct 18 2013, 10:20

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Passwords are so annoying. It will be great when technology allows some form of fingerprint or retina recognition.

I had a similar experience to others with telephone banking at my former bank NatWest. After three wrong guesses they refused to deal with my request and offered no solution except to visit my bank. Who can remember all the secret questions they ask nowadays? It wasn't so bad when they only asked for your mother's maiden name.

And as for BT they provide the worst customer service in the world. They were overcharging me and after numerous telephone calls to them I had to insist on written replies as they kept lying and contradicting themselves. Plus the often heavy foreign accents of their overseas call centre operators makes it hard to understand some of them.

Finally I get the point about being asked for characters 1,3 and 7 of another secret password but it is yet another password to try to remember.

12Password Wankers Empty Re: Password Wankers Fri Oct 18 2013, 14:17

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Biometrics are already being used in industry for access, to buildings, accounts, etc. but to bring it in wholesale will take a bit longer yet and I think the banks are scared to tell us how much it would cost, at this time. It'll come, but be prepared for a slower process to begin with, whilst your record is checked at HQ's main computer, etc.for each transaction.  Don't know how it will work for home banking, as no camera at home is safe.

13Password Wankers Empty Re: Password Wankers Fri Oct 18 2013, 15:45

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Would have posted earlier but I forgot my password. Now I can't remember what I was gonna say.

14Password Wankers Empty Re: Password Wankers Fri Oct 18 2013, 16:05

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Would have posted earlier but I forgot my password. Now I can't remember what I was gonna say.
lol!

15Password Wankers Empty Re: Password Wankers Fri Oct 18 2013, 16:05

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I used to have one password for absolutely everything.

Now some companies make you change it every month, some want a combination of letters, numbers and characters, and some want a 100 digit code.

Twats.
It's to keep you entertained and to stop you blowing all your benefit money on kestrel super strength Natasha! Laughing

16Password Wankers Empty Re: Password Wankers Fri Oct 18 2013, 16:09

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Scarier still is social media. I have a side business with Twitter, FB and LI accounts all of which constantly try to link in to each other so I can sign in from any platform. Scary thing is it tracked down my personal account and try to merge it for me. Talk about Big Brother......

17Password Wankers Empty Re: Password Wankers Fri Oct 18 2013, 16:10

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:Scarier still is social media. I have a side business with Twitter, FB and LI accounts all of which constantly try to link in to each other so I can sign in from any platform. Scary thing is it tracked down my personal account and try to merge it for me. Talk about Big Brother......
LI? is that Linkedin?

I'm not on facebook thank god.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum