Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Matt Mills and Tim Ream look to maintain defensive partnership

5 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Matt Mills believes Wanderers can conquer their home frustrations against Ipswich on Saturday.

Dougie Freedman’s side have drawn four and lost two of their Reebok dates so far this season, and the angst among Whites fans was evident in last week’s stalemate against struggling Sheffield Wednesday.

The Whites boss highlighted a “fear factor” that he thinks is currently obstructing his players from performing at their best in front of their own support.

But Mills is out to ease the pressure that seems to be building with three points against Mick McCarthy’s Tractor Boys – who are themselves without a win away from Portman Road this term.

“You can feel a bit of anxiety around the stadium at present,” the defender said. “Everybody wants a positive result which is understandable.

“I thought the crowd were really good last Saturday in terms of the fact they could see we were pushing for a winner.

“They stayed on our side and if we are going to achieve anything this year, it is going to need everybody striving in the right direction.

“The last thing we need is the home fans getting on our back which they haven’t done – they have been great.

“Hopefully we can reward them with a win this Saturday.”

Since the 3-1 reverse at Brighton, Wanderers have made significant defensive improvements, conceding just three goals in their last four.

Of those, Mills has written off two as “freak” efforts – pointing out that Adam Bogdan’s horrendous error against Yeovil and Alex Baptiste’s own goal against Wednesday are never-to-be-seen-again oddities.

While the may have struggled for goals in that time, few contest that the Whites do look stronger at the back.

And that has also coincided with the pairing of Mills with American centre-back Tim Ream, two players who were well out of the first team picture at the start of the season but who have since discovered a new lease of life under Freedman.

“In my whole time at Bolton, Tim and I have never lost when paired together at the back,” Mills told The Bolton News. “That breeds confidence when you can go into games knowing you have a decent partnership with someone.

“I think we complement each other a little bit.

“Tim’s got certain strengths that I haven’t and vice versa.

“On the pitch we are both players who can say things to one another and not take them personally which I think helps you keep focus on your own job.

“I know I can say anything to Tim and he won’t take it the wrong way.

“That is important because you want to play with players that respond to you during the game because things can happen so quickly.

“Tim certainly does that; he is an honest player.”

Wanderers are undefeated in four games but remain just a point above the bottom three going into the Ipswich game.

Real momentum in the league will not be achieved until Freedman’s men can start racking up victories – but Mills reckons the positive mood around the squad stands them in good stead for the coming weeks.

“We have got on a bit of a run now,” he said.

“If you are going to achieve anything, you have to try and stay unbeaten.

“In this league, wins are massive in terms of propelling you up the league.

“I think the confidence within the squad has noticeably changed in recent weeks.

“Players are going into games now excited about what’s in store.

“I thought we deserved a draw from the game last Saturday and were the better team for most of the game but having said that, we maybe didn’t do quite enough to win.

“We have to take our disappointment and frustration into the next game and get a result against Ipswich.” 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Does the same person write the BWFC media guff that comes from the manager and players?

Genuine question.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Does the same person write the BWFC media guff that comes from the manager and players?

Genuine question.
Marc Iles?

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

It is the one thing that is being overlooked while Doogie goes dick-in-hand to Millwall each week and that is that we have finally got a center back pairing with some confidence. Mills and Ream were always that most skillful defenders that we had and if OC and DF had actually used them together for any length of time we wouldn't be in the mess that we are currently in! If you think about the last 270 mins of football, they have only conceded 1 goal, with Baptiste's spectacular diving header and Bogdan's whoopsie being the others. 

These two really aren't being celebrated enough as far as I'm concerned - maybe because it would prove a lot of the muppets on this web site actually know nothing about football! 

Now the icing is on the cake, as we have mananged to get rid of Knight, Wheater and at last that useless tool Bogdan. With Loners in goal and Mills and Ream's continued partnership we might start winning games and keeping clean sheets!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

JAH wrote:
These two really aren't being celebrated enough as far as I'm concerned - maybe because it would prove a lot of the muppets on this web site actually know nothing about football! 

How dare you!

Ream has been fantastic since he came back, Mills better than he was but still far from good. He's turned too easily and his distribution is shocking.

Wednesday really should have had 4 or 5 last weekend.

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

“In my whole time at Bolton, Tim and I have never lost when paired together at the back,” Mills told The Bolton News. 

I really wish Mills hadn't said that! Rolling Eyes 

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Culcheth_White wrote:“In my whole time at Bolton, Tim and I have never lost when paired together at the back,” Mills told The Bolton News. 

Please refrain from using the word "pair" when we are forced to look at your avatar at the same time.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

observer wrote:
Culcheth_White wrote:“In my whole time at Bolton, Tim and I have never lost when paired together at the back,” Mills told The Bolton News. 

Please refrain from using the word "pair" when we are forced to look at your avatar at the same time.
lol!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum