Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Manager Dougie Freedman goes on the defensive

+9
Reebok_Rebel
Hip Priest
Tigermin
terenceanne
aaron_bwfc
Natasha Whittam
scottjames30
kennster
karlypants
13 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

After watching Wanderers labour in successive home draws against Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday, Dougie Freedman’s pragmatic vow to have his team “hang on” when they next take the lead won’t be what many fans wanted to hear.

Already accused by some for being too negative in his approach, the embattled Whites boss appears willing to risk further criticism as he searches for a way of turning one point into three.

Freedman’s side have squandered 11 points from winning positions this season, which equates to 13 places in the Championship table.

No wonder then that the manager is willing to speak so frankly about his plan to go safety first in the future.

“It might now be a case of how we hold on to what we have got, rather than going on to try and score two or three, which is what I think the fans deserve,” admitted Freedman in the light of another frustrating result and another lost lead on Saturday.

Perversely, Freedman looked to have named a more attacking line up when he switched to a 4-4-2 against the Tractor Boys, employing David Ngog alongside Jermaine Beckford up front.

Unfortunately, Wanderers suffered from the same lack of creative spark that they had a week earlier against Wednesday.

The front two looked isolated in front of a defensive-minded pair of midfielders in Medo Kamara and Jay Spearing and two wide men in Chung-Yong Lee and Neil Danns who are anything but natural wingers.

The more cynically minded may wonder just how more defensive Freedman’s team could get after such an unadventurous performance.

Desperate times may call for desperate measures and oddly enough, a long trip to Bournemouth looks the ideal kind of venue to hone a defensive plan.

Eddie Howe’s Cherries have only failed to score in one game out of 15 in all competitions this season, against Watford, and the two Lancastrian visitors to Dean Court – Blackburn and Blackpool – are the only sides to have emerged with three points.

How it goes down at home against Millwall when the Whites return to home turf a week on Saturday is a different matter altogether.

With finances tight the answer to how Wanderers will start to make progress in the table will have to come from within ahead of Saturday’s game at Dean Court.

Darren Pratley sat on the bench for the second successive game last weekend but might well be the man with the right mix between attack and defence to carry out Freedman’s plan.

Wanderers have drawn four and lost once without the energetic midfielder in the team this season and speaking to The Bolton News last week he spoke about being out of the first team equation.

“Personally it is frustrating when you are not getting a run of games,” he said.

“You need that to perform at your best in my view. But competition for places is good for the club as a whole.

“Naturally, it is disappointing when you are the one out of the team.

“When you are in you just have to do your best and hopefully you will get picked again.

“As long as you have a shirt, it is up to you to keep it by performing.

“Our best players, in my opinion, Chung-Yong Lee and Chris Eagles, have been in and out.

“It shows there is a lot of competition for places when players who would walk into the first team at most other Championship clubs are not getting a game.”

With Freedman planning to batten down the hatches, it could mean a longer wait for some of the players Pratley had in mind.

Attacking quartet Craig Davies, Andre Moritz, Rob Hall and Chris Eagles have all been benched in recent weeks.

Both Davies and Moritz have yet to convince the manager they are fit enough to warrant a start, while youngster Hall is still being eased into regular football.

Eagles’ issue would seem to be one of form and confidence, with the former Manchester United man looking well short of the player who carried Wanderers through the first half of last season.

Three points at Bournemouth could ease the tension by the next time Freedman and his team come back to the Reebok and cause him to rethink his insurance plan.

What effect defeat would have on a home atmosphere already at tipping point is hardly worth thinking about.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

kennster

kennster
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Yawn, the propaganda machine in full flow.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

kennster wrote:Yawn, the propaganda machine in full flow.
You're boring me now.

Go and play on the M62...

Last edited by karlypants on Wed Oct 30 2013, 17:47; edited 1 time in total

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Well said KP.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It wouldn't surprised me if we played without a striker and 11 players out of position.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

He makes out like we go for the 2nd and 3rd all the time when we score first?

Every time i've seen us take the lead this season at home we always sit back. Everything dougie says at the moment just pisses me off.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

If only we had 11 Goalkeepers on the books we could play all of them Razz 

On a non related subject ...just watched Ronaldo's debut for Utd.....against non other than the mighty BWFC.  Fat boy Nolan pulled his shirt for a penalty and Gardner & Campo hacked him down....a thing of beauty to behold.  Ancient history ?   no ... only 10 years ago.  Now we are talking about nicking a point at Bournmouth .... how times have changed.

Tigermin

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I dread to think what the team on saturday will be and what the team motivation talk will consist of ? ( Dont worry lads,if by a chance we take the lead again we will then switch to 11 players in our box to hold on and if things start to look sticky I will bring in El Prat in the 95th minute to steady the ship ! Onwards and upwards eh lads  !!! ) affraid affraid affraid

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Duggie threatening to change his system so we can hold onto a lead made me laugh. He's talking like we've been positively cavalier or gung-ho in our approach to games. It was a miracle we scored at all the way we played on Saturday. So if we score a goal in future will we drag our striker off and whip another holding midfielder in there to help out Medo and Spearing.Very Happy
Grim times ahead methinks.Sad 
We have a bloody decent squad for this division. We should be going out to attack most of the teams in this league. Especially home matches against the likes of Yeovil,Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday. If Duggie wasn't so negative and over cautious we wouldn't need to concern ourselves with holding onto one goal leads and playing keepball. Playing two holding midfielders at home against these sides is bobbins and sends out the wrong message to both our own players and the opposition. One thing's for sure, Duggie's tactics as they are aren't getting us anywhere and if the crowd continues to get on the player's backs then their confidence will be eroded even further.
I've completely lost faith in Freedman myself. He thinks he's a tactical genius but as the weeks go by and I listen to his pathetic excuses after every debacle of a performance he begins to sound more and more like Clueless Coyle.Mad 

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Hip Priest wrote:Duggie threatening to change his system so we can hold onto a lead made me laugh. He's talking like we've been positively cavalier or gung-ho in our approach to games. It was a miracle we scored at all the way we played on Saturday. So if we score a goal in future will we drag our striker off and whip another holding midfielder in there to help out Medo and Spearing.Very Happy
Grim times ahead methinks.Sad 
We have a bloody decent squad for this division. We should be going out to attack most of the teams in this league. Especially home matches against the likes of Yeovil,Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday. If Duggie wasn't so negative and over cautious we wouldn't need to concern ourselves with holding onto one goal leads and playing keepball. Playing two holding midfielders at home against these sides is bobbins and sends out the wrong message to both our own players and the opposition. One thing's for sure, Duggie's tactics as they are aren't getting us anywhere and if the crowd continues to get on the player's backs then their confidence will be eroded even further.
I've completely lost faith in Freedman myself. He thinks he's a tactical genius but as the weeks go by and I listen to his pathetic excuses after every debacle of a performance he begins to sound more and more like Clueless Coyle.Mad 
I agree with most of what you say....although I don't think we have a decent squad.  It's average at best. Even unmotivated players in a poor system can pass a ball ten feet.....our lads can't for whatever reason.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

We only managed a goal from a fucking free kick on Saturday - its not like we are throwing the kitchen sink at teams is it? 

il come out and say what everyone is thinking... Freedman is scotlands answer to Gary Megson. 

It sounds like a 10-0-0 formation will be deployed against the might of Brighton and Hove Albion... Rolling Eyes

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hip Priest wrote: We should be going out to attack most of the teams in this league. Especially home matches against the likes of Yeovil,Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday. If Duggie wasn't so negative and over cautious we wouldn't need to concern ourselves with holding onto one goal leads and playing keepball. Playing two holding midfielders at home against these sides is bobbins and sends out the wrong message to both our own players and the opposition.
I couldn't agree more - if you set yourselves up to be defensive against teams down the bottom what do you do against the likes of QPR, Forest and Leicester?

Very poor management, and the sooner he's sent packing the better. I'd take a tonking at the mighty Bournemouth if it got rid of the clown.

Harold77

Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hip Priest wrote: We should be going out to attack most of the teams in this league. Especially home matches against the likes of Yeovil,Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday. If Duggie wasn't so negative and over cautious we wouldn't need to concern ourselves with holding onto one goal leads and playing keepball. Playing two holding midfielders at home against these sides is bobbins and sends out the wrong message to both our own players and the opposition.
I couldn't agree more - if you set yourselves up to be defensive against teams down the bottom what do you do against the likes of QPR, Forest and Leicester?

Very poor management, and the sooner he's sent packing the better. I'd take a tonking at the mighty Bournemouth if it got rid of the clown.
answer - He was even more negative at home to QPR and picked 3 defensive midfielders.

Bolton won't rise again under Freedman.He isn't up to it.It amazes me that some people think he is.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Bit of a Hobson choice really - I think we are stuck with him whether we want to be or not - as I guess we probably don't have the money to sack him and the rest of his backroon staff.

Yes I know I'll get told we could send him on gardening leave and Jimmy Phillips and Lee could step in BUT who is going to do their jobs if they do? If I was Phillips and Lee I'd want the pay for the managers job, which I guess would be a great deal more than head of the creche that he does now and I'd certainly not want to do the managers job and my old job combined! We aren't going to be saving much by sending Freedman to his garden.

Personally I think he's doing an ok job considering the shite Coyle left behind, that plus the club having no money to speak of to spend. He's made mistakes certainly - Knight and Wheater as first choice pairing - wtf was he thinking of - obviously has poor judgement at times - but at least we seemed to have stopped losing for the moment.

We need to get through this season and get some of the big contracts off our wage bill and build from there - not much to look forward to for now though.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:Bit of a Hobson choice really - I think we are stuck with him whether we want to be or not - as I guess we probably don't have the money to sack him and the rest of his backroon staff.

Yes I know I'll get told we could send him on gardening leave and Jimmy Phillips and Lee could step in BUT who is going to do their jobs if they do?  If I was Phillips and Lee I'd want the pay for the managers job, which I guess would be a great deal more than head of the creche that he does now and I'd certainly not want to do the managers job and my old job combined!  We aren't going to be saving much by sending Freedman to his garden.
I agree in thinking we are pretty much stuck with Freedman and his backroom staff till the end of this season at least.

If Jimmy Philips and David Lee got the chance to manage Bolton, I feel they would probably take the chance even when not getting that tier salary as they would gain quite a lot of experience in my opinion and that would be enough and then depending on their performance then who knows.

On another note from one of the articles I posted, one of them sounded like David Lee was putting himself out for the Bury managers job if he got the chance.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:Bit of a Hobson choice really - I think we are stuck with him whether we want to be or not - as I guess we probably don't have the money to sack him and the rest of his backroon staff.

Yes I know I'll get told we could send him on gardening leave and Jimmy Phillips and Lee could step in BUT who is going to do their jobs if they do?  If I was Phillips and Lee I'd want the pay for the managers job, which I guess would be a great deal more than head of the creche that he does now and I'd certainly not want to do the managers job and my old job combined!  We aren't going to be saving much by sending Freedman to his garden.

Personally I think he's doing an ok job considering the shite Coyle left behind, that plus the club having no money to speak of to spend.  He's made mistakes certainly - Knight and Wheater as first choice pairing - wtf was he thinking of - obviously has poor judgement at times - but at least we seemed to have stopped losing for the moment.

We need to get through this season and get some of the big contracts off our wage bill and build from there - not much to look forward to for now though.
He was left a mess by Coyle, there's no doubt about that. But his lack of tactical nous, player judgement and all round stubbornness is nothing to do with Coyle.

It wouldn't matter if we had Ronaldo, Messi & Bale - Freedman would still play them out of position or ask them to track back.

And this idea that the club can't afford to sack him is nonsense - what manager in the history of football has kept his job simply because the club couldn't afford to get rid? Not many I'd say. Even Portsmouth were sacking managers when they were days away from going tits up.

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Personally I think he's doing an ok job considering the shite Coyle left behind, that plus the club having no money to speak of to spend.  He's made mistakes certainly - Knight and Wheater as first choice pairing - wtf was he thinking of - obviously has poor judgement at times - but at least we seemed to have stopped losing for the moment.

He was left a mess by Coyle, there's no doubt about that. But his lack of tactical nous, player judgement and all round stubbornness is nothing to do with Coyle.

It wouldn't matter if we had Ronaldo, Messi & Bale - Freedman would still play them out of position or ask them to track back.

And this idea that the club can't afford to sack him is nonsense - what manager in the history of football has kept his job simply because the club couldn't afford to get rid? Not many I'd say. Even Portsmouth were sacking managers when they were days away from going tits up.
:agree:

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Very poor management, and the sooner he's sent packing the better.
So now everybody is advocating the Owen Coyle style of management i.e. setting the team up to attack with little regard to the goals we leak at the back?
I would have thought a more balanced approach would work better, however that will be difficult to achieve whilst we lack quality all over the park.

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I don't think anyone is advocating that, but just evidence that the coaching staff are doing the basics with the team, i.e. practicing passing drills. This would be evidenced by seeing a notable improvement on a match day by players being able to make a 5 and 10 yard pass to one of our own players. 

I think it's the lack of an improvement on the pitch on a match day that is getting so many of us frustrated with the current set up. We'd all be (maybe not Nat) willing to give the manager more time if we were seeing an improvement week in a week out, because that would give us hope. The players seem to be going downhill, so much so that we are now playing more route one football than we ever did under OC. This is like the Megson days, where passing was down to a minimum and conceding possession was the norm and this gives rise to the questions of what are they actually doing in training for the players now to look worse than they did 12 months ago when DF took over.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
So now everybody is advocating the Owen Coyle style of management i.e. setting the team up to attack with little regard to the goals we leak at the back?
I would have thought a more balanced approach would work better, however that will be difficult to achieve whilst we lack quality all over the park.
We are a shit team, of that there's little doubt, but these players should still be nowhere near the bottom 3. History proves that cautious managers rarely win anything, if you think holding onto 1-0 leads is the way forward then you're as big a fool as Dougie.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum