Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dougie Freedman hits out at Premier League hoarders

+6
Whitesince63
Natasha Whittam
Reebok_Rebel
Reebok Trotter
wanderlust
karlypants
10 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dougie Freedman has taken a swipe at top flight clubs for hoarding talent.

The Wanderers boss is not a fan of the transfer window and believes the system restricts chances for younger Premier League players to gain experience elsewhere.

“It’s ridiculous because it puts financial pressure on people and it just means that the Premier League boys hold on to certain players without giving them a game,” he said.

“They never quite get the freedom of playing."

A typical example is Craig Dawson – a hit at Wanderers last season and chased by several Championship managers, including Freedman, over the summer. But the former England Under-21 defender has played just twice this season for West Brom in the Captial One Cup.

Freedman is expecting a busy January and has already announced his intention to strengthen his squad.

“January is a very interesting time for managers,” he said.

“If you’re on the ball, if you know the market and you know your scouting is done well then you can achieve a couple of good signings. I would like to think this club is well geared up for that; we’re organised behind the scenes.

“I’m okay with that (January window) coming up.

“It’s a stressful time because you’ve got games, you’ve got agents telling you this player’s available, you’ve got managers asking about your players, you’re trying to win games of football and you’re trying to make sure your family gets presents on Christmas Day! It can be all go.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Too f****** right!
This is a topic I've brought up in the past, particularly in reference to Manure who have around 70 players on their books at any point in time. They grab all the talent at an early age then either loan them out so they don't have to pay their wages or dump them and bring in another group - either way, it's nigh impossible for most clubs to snap up and retain young talent these days.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Agreed. It's a bloody joke. There should be a limit on how many young players the big clubs are allowed to sign.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I agree with the bit about clubs hording players... 

However, the busy Jan, strengthening the squad etc etc is all bullshit - this is basically a whinge about us not getting the services of Dawson for free and a begging letter for clubs to send us your young whippersnappers on loan so we don't have to spend anything. 

Busy Jan my arse, in 9 weeks time, we will be sat here having signed several unheard of kids on a months loan that will get us nowhere...

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This is bullshit. I don't believe for a minute that clubs would rather keep out of favour players than send them on loan to another club who would pay or share the wages.

This is clearly a dig at clubs for not letting specific players go - i.e. Dawson as Rebel says above.

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Considering Dougal doesn't like loan players he's doing enough complaining about not being able to get any. Sometimes it's better to keep one's gob shut and just get on with it.

eppyfizz606

David Ngog
David Ngog

I would like to think this club is well geared up for that; we’re organised behind the scenes]
is he having a go at those that hold the purses, is he saying he is ready to deal, but is the club geared up to pay

Reebok_Rebel wrote: 

Busy Jan my arse, in 9 weeks time, we will be sat here having signed several unheard of kids on a months loan that will get us nowhere...
In fairness money's tight, but you did say this last January and we did okay then. The likelihood of getting N'gog and a few others off the wage bill come the end of the season may mean the board will loosen up after they shut the door on new signings at the end of last summer.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whitesince63 wrote:Considering Dougal doesn't like loan players he's doing enough complaining about not being able to get any. Sometimes it's better to keep one's gob shut and just get on with it.
Where is it documented that Dougie doesn't like loan players?

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Instead of loaning from our league , why not get some talent from the premier league?

Arsenal , UTD, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, they all must have some talent that can't get a sniff of the pitch, that could light up the Reebok.

Get rid of that fake Ngog and with his wage get some talent on loan instead of these kids that are no better than what we've already got ffs.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Might pay to check out the scottish leagues,there has to be some untapped talent up there.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm sure they are checking every opportunity.

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

FFS RT don't you read the elfin paper? You're like 74 he doesn't keep up with things either. Sharpen up man.

Reebok Trotter wrote:
Whitesince63 wrote:Considering Dougal doesn't like loan players he's doing enough complaining about not being able to get any. Sometimes it's better to keep one's gob shut and just get on with it.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whitesince63 wrote:FFS RT don't you read the elfin paper? You're like 74 he doesn't keep up with things either. Sharpen up man.

Reebok Trotter wrote:
I read quite a few of the dailies to try and keep abreast of things. I also pay particular attention to the sports sections. My personal favourite is the football write-ups especially where Bolton gets a mention.

I haven't read one Bolton based article where Dougie has stated that he doesn't like loan players. I may have missed the documented article you are referring to and I am quite happy to be proved wrong if you can furnish me with the relevant documentation.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

City are a good example of hoarding players ....they have blokes who are not even in the squad that would be starters in lower teams.  I have no sympathy for those players since they are collecting a fat paycheck without playing..... I can't believe they are happy though.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

terenceanne wrote:City are a good example of hoarding players ....they have blokes who are not even in the squad that would be starters in lower teams.  I have no sympathy for those players since they are collecting a fat paycheck without playing..... I can't believe they are happy though.
Daniel Sturridge is a prime example of how City and Chelsea do business.

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Reebok Trotter wrote:
Whitesince63 wrote:FFS RT don't you read the elfin paper? You're like 74 he doesn't keep up with things either. Sharpen up man.

Reebok Trotter wrote:
I read quite a few of the dailies to try and keep abreast of things. I also pay particular attention to the sports sections. My personal favourite is the football write-ups especially where Bolton gets a mention.

I haven't read one Bolton based article where Dougie has stated that he doesn't like loan players. I may have missed the documented article you are referring to and I am quite happy to be proved wrong if you can furnish me with the relevant documentation.
RT when Dougie had to send back Craig Dawson he complained in the BEN that all loaning players did was improve players for the owning club. Now he realises he doesn't have any money and all he can do is loan he seems to have gone very quiet on it. I personally agree with him and never did like loaning players if they could be signed instead.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum