Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Bolton Wanderers News » Jermaine Beckford is the perfect replacement for Kevin Davies - Dougie Freedman

Jermaine Beckford is the perfect replacement for Kevin Davies - Dougie Freedman

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Wanderers in-form striker Jermaine Beckford is proving why he was such an important signing in the summer, according to manager Dougie Freedman.

Freedman admits he had a big decision to make to fill the boots of long-serving skipper Kevin Davies after deciding to let the fans’ favourite leave after 10 years’ service.

Beckford has rediscovered his scoring touch with four goals in the last five matches and Freedman has every confidence he can fire the Whites to another win at Watford tomorrow.

But the manager says it is not just about goals with Beckford but the example he can set for others, just like Davies used to, in the dressing room.

Freedman said: “The key to Jermaine is that he never really gets down. He has the good trait of always being positive and that’s a big reason why I brought him to the club.

“I had to bring in a forward to replace Kevin Davies and there was a lot of pressure there because Kevin was a big player for many years.

“It wasn’t a nice decision at the time but I just felt I needed someone to get us more goals.

“Jermaine brings that and a similar influence on the team.

“I am hoping his confidence will rub off onto the younger players.

“Jermaine has an inner belief he will score goals and he is now showing that every week.”

Source

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
Completely different player to Davies.

It's fantastic to see him proving the idiots wrong.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@doffcocker wrote:Completely different player to Davies.

It's fantastic to see him proving the idiots wrong.
Don't put yourself down Doff.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
@Natasha Whittam wrote:
@doffcocker wrote:Completely different player to Davies.

It's fantastic to see him proving the idiots wrong.
Don't put yourself down Doff.
I don't get it.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
@doffcocker wrote:Completely different player to Davies.

It's fantastic to see him proving the idiots wrong.
I'll agree he's a very different player to Kevin Davies, they have different styles and approaches to the game. 

But proving the idiots wrong? That would suggest you believe Beckford is better than Davies. I disagree with that because in his heyday Kev was arguably the best we ever had up front. If you'd said Beckford is a good player who has started to show it with recent performances I'd agree whole heartedly. Kevin is past his best and had been for a couple of seasons but if Beckford turns out half as good as him over time then he'll be something special for us. I can't ever see Beckford being our captain though and can't see him ever being able to motivate his fellows just by his very presence on the field the way Kevin did. 

He has a long way still to go to prove those who doubted his ability wrong in the long term.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
Some people had written Beckord off after not a handful of matches. We had a poster on here that had decided "Beckdord can't last 90 minutes" on the basis that he'd been substituted in his first two games, and that Freedman should have stayed clear and kept Davies instead.

Beckford's never going to be an integral part of any Bolton Wanderers top 6 challenging team as Davies was, not merely because of the completely different circumstances. He was brought in because he had an endless list of qualities aged 29, that Davies didn't aged 36. At the moment, he looks the business.

White84


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
8 unbeaten and we should hav
E had more wins in the win column after the
 Calamities v Yeovil n SheffW.Need to make the Reebok a fortress now.3 wins on the bounce away ,nearly as many as we won away all last year.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Beckford is a better striker than K Davies...

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Not getting too excited yet. Lets look to have a good run up to Christmas and push on into the new year.All in all we're in a better position than I feared a few weeks ago.

White84


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Kev Davies was never prolific.I think it is unfair to compare them.SKD brought different things to the table.Beckford is a better finisher.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
@White84 wrote:Kev Davies was never prolific.I think it is unfair to compare them.SKD brought different things to the table.Beckford is a better finisher.
I'll give you that. However SKD was a much better all round player at his peak and always dangerous to opposition defences. However I do like Beckford and think that in the right system he could be a tremendous asset for a few years for us.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc
Moderator
Moderator
A few years might be pushing it a little IMO, he's not exactly at his peak now but id give him another season then call it a day with him.

Though ask me again if he finishes the season on 20+ goals.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I can see Beckford reaching 20 goals this season.

White84


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
SKD scored v Bayern Munich,he played at top level for years,in Wanderers top 8 7 6 7th place finishes,he played for England.Also on Soccer AM Ledley King said SKD and Alan Shearer were the most difficult players he ever played against.But Beckford is a goal scorer 5 in 6 now.He could be what we have been missing. A positive result v Borough with 2 home games Huddersfield and Doncaster and we could be around the play off places.Then a trip to the piemen on the 15 th.COYW.

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum