Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

We are the second luckiest team in the league!

5 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

According to the site "Debateable Decisions" we've been afforded 11 points we shouldn't have had.

(i actually misunderstood it, the table is the amount of decisions that have gone our way not points!)

obviously it's far from an exact science but it proves we've had our fair share of "luck" this season.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Quent

Quent
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Is this decisions we got that shouldn't have gone our way?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's basically the ones that have gone our way against the ones that haven't

so we've had 15 go our way and 4 go against us... that according to the site have been wrong.

For Example the penalty against blackburn this week they should have had, and QPR's goal that was disallowed.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Extremely sceptical of the value of this table. Only 4 dodgy decisions against us all season? Interestingly the site itself only details 3:

Davies goal ruled out offside v Chelsea

Cahill red card at Spurs

Freekick that led to goal incorrectly given v Wolves

The debateable decisions seem to be only those that have been highlighted by TV (MOTD?) replays. So if the TV people don't think it's dodgy the decision won't be reviewed by their panel. So of very limited value then, particularly given the prejudices of TV folk.

The "goal" against QPR came about because of a debatable decision though, because it shouldn't have been a corner.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That's actually quite an interesting league table Hipster, I knew you'd do something worthwhile one day.

I can think of 4 off the top of my head:

Cahill's red card v Spurs
Cisse's goal for QPR was offside
Penalty turned down against Arsenal at home (Keeper on Mark Davies)
Ricardo Gardner's sending off (and subsequent disappearance) at Swansea

Interesting that QPR, Wolves and us are in the top 4 "luckiest" clubs according to this. Not sure who makes this up but I can only comment on our games as they're the only ones I've seen in full and IMO we've had good and bad luck in equal proportions. Subjectivity is everything, but we were denied a nailed on pen against Blackburn when Wheater was fouled in the box, but maybe it doesn't count because it wasn't highlighted on MOTD as it wasn't as dramatic at Hoilett's tumble.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Without wanting to offend Hipster (he probably agrees with me anyway), its the daftest set of statistics I've come across in my life.

Not only is it simply based on one person's opinion (I haven't got time to think back on how many decisions I think have gone for and against us over the 29 games played but I doubt my idea of where we'd be in this table would be the same as whoever is responsible for drawing it), how can you simply place fortunate and unfortunate decisions into two categories, for and against, as though one fortunare/unfortunate decision has the same positive/negative impact as another?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I agree it's a load of nonsense really but it is interesting to ponder what if?

oh and it's done by a "panel" of 4 random fans of random clubs, so it's not one persons opinion rather a group one.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum