Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

International Wanderers: Three called up

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Adam Bogdan, Chung-Yong Lee and Yannick Bastos have all been called up to their senior international squads ahead of next week’s set of fixtures.

Lee and the Korea Republic face Greece in Piraeus in their penultimate warm-up game ahead of the summer’s FIFA World Cup in Brazil.

Bogdan’s Hungary, under the guidance of new head coach Attila Pinter, host Finland in a friendly in Gyor.

Bastos could be in line to register just his fifth international cap for Luxembourg, as they host Cape Verde Islands in Luxembourg City.

All three of the games will take place throughout the course of Wednesday 5 February,

Source

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

not worried bout bastos, he's not in the first team yet but am worried about Lee and Bogdan. It would be just our luck for one of them to get a season ending knock.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Is anyone else gutted?

We had a squad that consisted almost entirely of international players.

Now we have 3. One who plays for a country that's smaller than the town he's club is in...

Do you actually get an international cap for playing for Luxembourg?

That's like getting one for representing Blackrod or Daub Hill.........

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Incredibly, the Cape Verde Islands are ranked 27th in the FIFA world rankings so this is a huge match for Bastos.

That's higher than:
Scotland
Wales
Republic of Ireland
South Korea (CYLs team)
Nigeria
Cameroon 
Poland
and Turkey!

Don't expect it will be a close match though as Luxembourg are ranked 120th - but there are still 87 countries below them.

Are you making those stats up?

27th....?

In the entire world..........?

That's mental.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Are you making those stats up?

27th....?

In the entire world..........?

That's mental.

Isn't it just.

Check it out: http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I hope Dougie has scouted the CVI superstars!

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I wonder how Cape Verde got that many points in the ranking system? I bet they played "Freedman-Land" fifteen times on the trot and after winning them all ten nil they got boosted by further matches againt the new island nations of Megsonia and Gartsideania.

I bet Blatter's got a holiday home in the Cape Verde Islands.

Just saying......

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:I wonder how Cape Verde got that many points in the ranking system? I bet they played "Freedman-Land" fifteen times on the trot and after winning them all ten nil they got boosted by further matches againt the new island nations of Megsonia and Gartsideania.
On 14 October 2012, Cape Verde managed to secure their first ever berth in the Finals of the Africa Cup of Nations, when they defeated Cameroon 3–2 on aggregate score, following a 2–1 defeat to Cameroon at the Stade Ahmadou Ahidjo in Yaoundé, having won the home leg 2–0 in Praia just weeks prior to their qualification.
On 24 October 2012, Cape Verde were drawn into Group A of the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations, alongside AngolaMorocco and the host nation South Africa. Furthermore, Cape Verde played the opening match of the tournament at Soccer City in JohannesburgGauteng, against South Africa on 19 January 2013 – Soccer City being the host venue for the 2010 World Cup Final. Pulled from the fourth pot during the group stage drawing of the tournament, 
Cape Verde drew with South Africa 0–0 in the tournament's first match, before drawing with Morocco 1–1. Platini scored Cape Verde's first ever goal at the AFCON, who were unfortunate to let an early lead slip. They however did win their first ever AFCON match against Angola, which they won 2–1 (despite an early own goal by captain Nando Maria Neves), through the late goals from Fernando Varela andHéldon Ramos, thus qualifying for the quarter-finals, and thus reaching the last eight in their maiden appearance at the Africa Cup of Nations.
On 2 February 2013, Cape Verde faced Ghana in the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium in Port Elizabeth, in the quarter-finals of the tournament. Cape Verde played a good match, with 16 shots on Ghana's goal to their 8, with 7 shots on target to their 2, Cape Verde proved to be especially dangerous from set-pieces, however Ghana's keeper Abdul Dauda managed to keep a clean sheet making some spectacular saves, and with Wakaso Mubarak scoring a penalty kick for Ghana in the 54' minute, and then scoring again in the closing minute of the game (90+5') on an open goal, Ghana would win the match 2–0, to move on to the semi-finals, and ending Cape Verde's exceptional 2013 Africa Cup of Nations campaign.[8]

They were ranked 51st at the time so have obviously improved since then

07.09.2013q2gbTunisiaawayW2-0
15.06.2013q2gbSierra LeonehomeW1-0
08.06.2013q2gbEquatorial GuineahomeW2-1
24.03.2013q2gbEquatorial GuineaawayL3-4

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:I wonder how Cape Verde got that many points in the ranking system? I bet they played "Freedman-Land" fifteen times on the trot and after winning them all ten nil they got boosted by further matches againt the new island nations of Megsonia and Gartsideania.
On 14 October 2012, Cape Verde managed to secure their first ever berth in the Finals of the Africa Cup of Nations, when they defeated Cameroon 3–2 on aggregate score, following a 2–1 defeat to Cameroon at the Stade Ahmadou Ahidjo in Yaoundé, having won the home leg 2–0 in Praia just weeks prior to their qualification.
On 24 October 2012, Cape Verde were drawn into Group A of the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations, alongside AngolaMorocco and the host nation South Africa. Furthermore, Cape Verde played the opening match of the tournament at Soccer City in JohannesburgGauteng, against South Africa on 19 January 2013 – Soccer City being the host venue for the 2010 World Cup Final. Pulled from the fourth pot during the group stage drawing of the tournament, 
Cape Verde drew with South Africa 0–0 in the tournament's first match, before drawing with Morocco 1–1. Platini scored Cape Verde's first ever goal at the AFCON, who were unfortunate to let an early lead slip. They however did win their first ever AFCON match against Angola, which they won 2–1 (despite an early own goal by captain Nando Maria Neves), through the late goals from Fernando Varela andHéldon Ramos, thus qualifying for the quarter-finals, and thus reaching the last eight in their maiden appearance at the Africa Cup of Nations.
On 2 February 2013, Cape Verde faced Ghana in the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium in Port Elizabeth, in the quarter-finals of the tournament. Cape Verde played a good match, with 16 shots on Ghana's goal to their 8, with 7 shots on target to their 2, Cape Verde proved to be especially dangerous from set-pieces, however Ghana's keeper Abdul Dauda managed to keep a clean sheet making some spectacular saves, and with Wakaso Mubarak scoring a penalty kick for Ghana in the 54' minute, and then scoring again in the closing minute of the game (90+5') on an open goal, Ghana would win the match 2–0, to move on to the semi-finals, and ending Cape Verde's exceptional 2013 Africa Cup of Nations campaign.[8]

They were ranked 51st at the time so have obviously improved since then
lusty I was just kidding mate.  Very Happy 

That said your reply is actually quite informative, especially the fact they beat Cameroon and reached the last 8 of the AFCON tournament. I hadn't realised they were a FIFA recognised nation before today. Geography was never my thing.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Pretty impressive for tiny former Portuguese colony stuck in the middle of the Atlantic although I suspect that some of their players have never actually been there.
One of their second string midfielders plays for Kilmarnock FFS

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum