Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dougie Freedman tells Bolton Wanderers players to toughen up

+4
Hipster_Nebula
luckyPeterpiper
Natasha Whittam
karlypants
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dougie Freedman has told his players they must toughen up or face slipping back into the relegation picture.

Saturday’s 2-0 home defeat against Brighton interrupted a good run of results that had seen Wanderers go six games unbeaten for only the second time this season.

It also seemed to end any vague hopes of a repeat of last year’s late surge up the table, which eventually saw the club miss out on the play-offs by a single point.

Freedman refused to get too downbeat after the Reebok loss, insisting Brighton’s superior finishing was the biggest difference on the day.

And the manager has warned his players they cannot afford to be too despondent as they look to salvage some pride from the campaign.

“It was a blip because the way we have been playing for a dozen games has been fine,” he said. “Sometimes you’ve got to put your hands up, take it like a man and move on, that’s what we’ll do at Yeovil next weekend.

“It isn’t a drama. Brighton are a good team and you have to take your hat off to them. In both boxes there was nothing in the game and we had chances to win it.”

The slip against Brighton was made all the more surprising considering the resolve that had been shown a few days earlier to secure a point against Derby at the iPro Stadium.

That is the kind of mental toughness Freedman wants to instil in his squad – but the Scot admits there is still a lot of work to be done.

“If you don’t play so well in a game you can take the point, but we’re not really doing that at the moment,” he said.

“At this football club at the moment we don’t seem to be getting that rub of the green. It seems we always have to be performing at our absolute maximum to get anything out of a game.

“That’s where maybe I need to get into the team’s mentality that sometimes we really do have to grind out results.”

Freedman has not ruled out bringing in another player on loan before the window closes on March 30.

That could depend on others moving out – and there has been speculation over the future of both Chris Eagles and Andy Lonergan, who have both found themselves out of the side in recent weeks.

“We’re always having a look but it won’t be just anyone,” Freedman added. “It has to be a certain type of player, with the right hunger and desire.

“I’ve never had a phone call about one of my players but I would expect one or two to attract something if they don’t get the right number of games.”

Source

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Freedman wrote:

“It was a blip because the way we have been playing for a dozen games has been fine,” he said.

Yes Douglas, we were excellent at Reading. But for them scoring 7 goals we'd have won.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Freedman wrote:

“It was a blip because the way we have been playing for a dozen games has been fine,” he said.

Yes Douglas, we were excellent at Reading. But for them scoring 7 goals we'd have won.
Agreed, his clueless whittering is now only good for the comedy channel.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Here's an idea, how about we back the lads. 

FFS. 

::seething2::  ::mad::  ::seething::  ::wtf::

Happy Clap!! Happy Clap!!!

That better......?

Telling 'overpaid ponces' to 'toughen up'?

Outrageous.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Here's an idea, how about we back the lads. 

FFS. 

Here's another idea. How about we sack this useless idiot and get someone in who both knows what he's talking about AND who knows how to motivate the lads. I back the players all the time but some just aren't good enough. However most ARE good enough and are just mismanaged by a clueless clown. It's his job to get the best out of them and he's failed in that task for most of this season so badly it's beyond a joke. Yes he gets some credit for the little run we just had because he deserves it but prior to that and since then he gets the blame for sticking with a non-working system for far too long and then immediately ditching the one that does. Hipster I don't think anyone is failing to back the lads when they say DF should go, on the contrary we're asking for someone to be brought in who can get our players performing to their strengths and the best of their abilities consistently.

Pretty sure Hipster was being sarcastic.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster sarcastic? never!  Laughing

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

FFS. 

Are you going to take your own advice and turn up for the next home match?

I thought not. So shut up.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

FFS. 

Are you going to take your own advice and turn up for the next home match?

I thought not. So shut up.

People don't want to be told they don't go to the games nat.

I was threatened with a ban for saying something similar. 

I hope you get a similar message in your inbox shortly.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

threatened with a ban seems a bit harsh! i do go to games but would never criticise anyone who doesn't for whatever reason, supporting Bolton is punishment enough.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Thanks Norpig bit of rationality injected into this discussion. 

Nat has pushed things too far this time.

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Freedman wrote:

We would have needed 7 goals and 2 goalies on the pitch to have overcome the Keystone Kops on defense flailing their arms!

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Freedman wrote:

Prone to exaggeration our Dougie. Reading was only 10 games ago. Correction 11.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

The fact is we were excellent for THREE games, passable for about three more and woeful for the other six. Dougie either has faulty memory or he's genuinely deluded. Either way I don't believe he's the man to take us forward at all but since it's highly unlikely he'll be sacked any time soon and almost impossible to think he'll walk of his own volition I will simply cross my fingers and pray that he somehow finds the ability from somewhere to prove me wrong next season.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:
Freedman wrote:

Agreed, his clueless whittering is now only good for the comedy channel.
Yeh, but John Bishop has nowt to mither about!?!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum