Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are we a big club?

+11
doffcocker
Keegan
aaron_bwfc
terenceanne
wanderlust
JAH
Natasha Whittam
karlypants
boltonbonce
Hipster_Nebula
BoltonTillIDie
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Are we a big club? Empty Are we a big club? Mon Mar 31 2014, 13:02

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

17th biggest according to the following site:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Mon Mar 31 2014, 13:09

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm not trying to be a dick (I promise) but i find these debates so pointless and childish, see them on twitter all the time.

"yeh bt we tuk 4k to brum mt ur lot tuk 400, small time cnuts"

Do people really take up their time worrying about this?

3Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Mon Mar 31 2014, 13:12

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What does 'Big' mean? Crowds? Finance? History? Trophies? Does it even matter? We're a big club in our eyes,and that's all that matters.

4Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Mon Mar 31 2014, 13:17

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

:agree:

5Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Mon Mar 31 2014, 13:23

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

I spend each evening between 7-8pm worrying about this.

6Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Mon Mar 31 2014, 13:37

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

I spend each evening between 7-8pm worrying about this.

Are you using worrying as a euphemism for something else?  Embarassed   Idea   Embarassed  Twisted Evil 

7Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Mon Mar 31 2014, 14:23

I'll address the elephant in the room:

No, we're not.

We've never won the league, we've only played in Europe twice in our history, our crowds aren't the biggest and we haven't won the FA Cup for 56 years.

So no, we're definitely not a "big" club.

8Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Mon Mar 31 2014, 14:30

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:I'll address the elephant in the room:

No, we're not.

We've never won the league, we've only played in Europe twice in our history, our crowds aren't the biggest and we haven't won the FA Cup for 56 years.

So no, we're definitely not a "big" club.
We've traded on past glories for a long time and whilst it's nice to look back at our history, it doesn't mean we're anything other than 17th in the second tier now - which is about right IMO.
That's not to say we couldn't be a "big club" again, but it's a fair old way from here. Still, we're working on it.
Historic club? - yes.
Famous club? yes.
"Big" club? - no way.

9Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Mon Mar 31 2014, 14:32

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

10Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Mon Mar 31 2014, 21:18

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

We may be a big club but we have had small time management for many years now.

Darkside Out.

11Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Mon Mar 31 2014, 21:27

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

We're not a big club, a club with a lot of history no doubt but for me to a big club you have to have some of the following:

- Big fan base
- Won a lot of trophies in recent years
- Quite a bit of money to spend.

Sadly I can't raise a case on any of the above for us.

12Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Mon Mar 31 2014, 21:34

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Breadman wrote:I'll address the elephant in the room:

No, we're not.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

13Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Mon Mar 31 2014, 22:01

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

It's all relative.

Compared to the majority of clubs in the football league, we're a big club. Compared to the likes of the big four Lancs clubs, we're a small club.

As others have said, it's a shallow debate, but people always get drawn into it.

14Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Tue Apr 01 2014, 21:30

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

We should be consistently a botom half team in the Prem ..... which we were for ten years.  That along with a cup run every so often is our lot in life.
Now all that seems a long time ago.  Only three seasons ago we were away at Liverpool and hoping to nick a draw....today we are away at Hudderfield and still hoping to nick a draw. 
Times-they-are-changing.

Selling the club is the only answer that I can see.....to immediately remove the debt, pump money in for players and of course the instant demse of the current management.

15Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Tue Apr 01 2014, 21:43

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

terenceanne wrote:

Selling the club is the only answer that I can see.....to immediately remove the debt, pump money in for players and of course the instant demse of the current management.

Better the devil you know. Selling our club to the highest bidder might solve our short term financial woes but if somebody like Vinny Tan bought our club I would not be renewing my ST. ( Mind you, the current owners at City have done a decent job but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule.)

16Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Tue Apr 01 2014, 23:10

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:
terenceanne wrote:

Better the devil you know. Selling our club to the highest bidder might solve our short term financial woes but if somebody like Vinny Tan bought our club I would not be renewing my ST. ( Mind you, the current owners at City have done a decent job but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule.)
I do quite agree with this, many foreign owners don't seem to give a shit the same.

I quite like our club being owned by someone English even if we don't have all that dosh to spend!

If we do achieve success again, it will feel like we have really earned it and not just thrown a billion quid at it to get instant success.

17Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Wed Apr 02 2014, 20:49

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

karlypants wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:
terenceanne wrote:

I do quite agree with this, many foreign owners don't seem to give a shit the same.

I quite like our club being owned by someone English even if we don't have all that dosh to spend!

If we do achieve success again, it will feel like we have really earned it and not just thrown a billion quid at it to get instant success.

That's too much of a Generalization to say foreign owners don't care.
It's just time for Eddie and Phil and the rest of the backroom gang to move out.  Obvious financial incompetance being the number one reason.  Players wages are not the main source of the loss on our books ....that just gets the publicity.
Eddie himslf is getting on a bit now ......who takes over when he kicks the bucket or get too sick to pay attention.....not that he does now IMO.

18Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Wed Apr 02 2014, 21:31

What sane billionaire would want to take on a club with debts like ours? If it was to happen then great but it's complete fantasy to be honest.

19Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Wed Apr 02 2014, 21:46

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:What sane billionaire would want to take on a club with debts like ours? If it was to happen then great but it's complete fantasy to be honest.

Our debts would be small to a billionaire.

20Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Wed Apr 02 2014, 22:06

Taking on a £168 million debt before you even start investing in the team is not an attractive business proposition. Surely the Preston business woman of the year would know that?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum