Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dave Whelan

+5
doffcocker
Natasha Whittam
JohannesburgWanderer
Keegan
Rentab
9 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Dave Whelan Empty Dave Whelan Wed May 14 2014, 23:56

Rentab

David Ngog
David Ngog

Hi,
He said earlier this season "something ain't right at the reebok".

I wonder if he will realise that a second season in this league is much tougher.

I honestly think with the realities of coming down the decisions we made were logical, yes team selections were a bit odd but we can't say that we wouldn't have gone with the contingency plans of cutting the wage bill etc. we could have taken a gamble and kept high earners and tried to get promotion but nothing is certain in football. We see this season on season. Imagine If we didn't take the steps we have in the last two seasons and failed in promotion attempts? We'd be staring at div 2 of admin for sure. I don't advocate Phil Gartsides decisions or rambling a but the decisions over the last couple of years on the running of the club are correct. The reason for the debt is another matter.

2Dave Whelan Empty Re: Dave Whelan Thu May 15 2014, 00:08

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Dave is a fine one to talk - he hired Owen Coyle.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

3Dave Whelan Empty Re: Dave Whelan Thu May 15 2014, 00:11

Rentab

David Ngog
David Ngog

Hi,
Did you know he once played in a cup final and broke his leg. He's shy about that fact and rarely mentions it.
2014-05-15 lol!

4Dave Whelan Empty Re: Dave Whelan Thu May 15 2014, 09:47

JohannesburgWanderer

Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

Dave Whelan has a lot to say about other clubs and their players. He is an egotistical wanker proven by the fact he named the stadium after himself!!!

5Dave Whelan Empty Re: Dave Whelan Thu May 15 2014, 10:19

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Keegan wrote:Dave is a fine one to talk - he hired Owen Coyle.

True, but he did get shut of him as soon as he realised he was useless. Unlike us.

6Dave Whelan Empty Re: Dave Whelan Thu May 15 2014, 14:01

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Dave Whelan is right in everything he has said about Bolton.

Yes, Wigan have had the same reality check that we got last season, and the second season might be even worse like it was for us, but they're not nine figures in the red like we are. Why that's the case isn't clear, but whatever the explanation, "there's something not right at Bolton" is as fair a statement as they come.

We've made some awful decisions both on and off the field since we came down, and in the five or so years prior to that. I don't think anybody can knock the club's ambition in trying to get back up. Yes, the wage bill was slashed, but not by as much as it could/should have been. We had the opportunity to get rid of players like Kevin Davies and Zat Knight, who were instead kept on "on reduced wages", which doesn't necessarily mean fair wages; players like Mills and Andrews were brought in, both believed to be on big money, and we supposedly made Freedman the best paid manager in the division.

7Dave Whelan Empty Re: Dave Whelan Thu May 15 2014, 14:15

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:
We've made some awful decisions both on and off the field since we came down, and in the five or so years prior to that. I don't think anybody can knock the club's ambition in trying to get back up. Yes, the wage bill was slashed, but not by as much as it could/should have been. We had the opportunity to get rid of players like Kevin Davies and Zat Knight, who were instead kept on "on reduced wages", which doesn't necessarily mean fair wages; players like Mills and Andrews were brought in, both believed to be on big money, and we supposedly made Freedman the best paid manager in the division.
With hindsight it shows how desperate some of the decisions have been and moreover how the Board seems to have thought that all problems can be solved by throwing money at them. Really does look like weak senior management and poor leadership. I think that Dougie is a breath of fresh air after what has gone before. He may not have the resources that recent managers have had but he's much more of a realist who will keep on top of the dire financial situation and will be honest with the players.

8Dave Whelan Empty Re: Dave Whelan Thu May 15 2014, 14:19

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote: and we supposedly made Freedman the best paid manager in the division.

I agree with your observations Doffy but I'm not sure Dougie is the top earning manager in the Championship. I reckon Redknapp and McLaren are on a damn sight more tbh.

9Dave Whelan Empty Re: Dave Whelan Thu May 15 2014, 14:23

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Reebok Trotter wrote:
doffcocker wrote: and we supposedly made Freedman the best paid manager in the division.

I agree with your observations Doffy but I'm not sure Dougie is the top earning manager in the Championship. I reckon Redknapp and McLaren are on a damn sight more tbh.

RT, I'm sure that's the case now, but at the time, when Redknapp and QPR were still in the Prem and McLaren hadn't been hired by Derby yet, I believe Freedman was the highest paid.

10Dave Whelan Empty Re: Dave Whelan Thu May 15 2014, 14:27

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You could well be right and if so then I am surprised. Hipster will know the answer.

11Dave Whelan Empty Re: Dave Whelan Thu May 15 2014, 18:43

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Freedman was given a 2 and half year contract on 500 k per year, can't see many earning less tbf.

12Dave Whelan Empty Re: Dave Whelan Thu May 15 2014, 21:22

LW23

Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

meet him a few times the mans a cunt

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum