Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Connor Wilkinson ready for the first team squad

+3
finlaymcdanger
Boggersbelief
White84
7 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Fantastic control and the lad knows where the nets are.
Okay it was Rochdale but they turned over some big teams in the FA Cup last year as well as getting promoted(well I think they got promoted) could be wrong?
Back to Connor Wilkinson he's a big lad as well been scoring plenty in the development squad.At 20 he deserves his chance.Especially as we are hardly overrun by centre forwards.
If DF loans him out I will not be happy! ::bigmachinegun:: :dougie: 

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He's definitely most likely to make the grade but I don't think he's ready yet, a season on loan in league one will see him develop. Freedman will bring in a couple of decent strikers that will improve our first team don't worry about that, he's not an idiot.

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Well it took him 9 matches to realise Zat Knight was Shit!
However I believe he has redeemed himself with the squad he has assembled on green shield stamps(anyone under 45 might not get that) I hope we can start off well and have a decent season.
I'm sure we will get an old striker on a Bosman but I'd put Wilkinson in the squad at least on the bench.

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

+
Great to see Wilkinson get his goal and it will no doubt be a massive boost to his confidence for the coming season. 8 goals in the lad? I hope so.

-
Realistically though, I would be very surprised to see much worse defending in the Championship this season, never mind a keeper capable of getting down to his near post as slowly. 8 bench-warming appearances? More likely.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Difficult to say which of the youngsters will be given a chance in the first team squad this season - depends on who we buy and sell in the transfer window to some extent.

A few posters were complaining last season about Dougie claiming to give youngsters a chance but not doing it. Of course he did give a few a shot with mixed results.
Hayden White seems to have gone backwards but Threlkeld and Bolger seem to have proven themselves. Loads more have been given an outing, Iliev etc. Even Ryan Sellers came on against Rochdale despite our sudden plethora of CBs - perhaps to showcase him for a loan?

I like the fact that Dougie has given them every opportunity to show what they can do and mixed them up with senior players in the pre-season - good for squad mentality. However it's clear that some aren't ready yet and whilst I'd love it if a new player or two emerged from the youth ranks I can understand why he's reticent to throw them into seriously competitive games until he's sure. Slightly older lads like Vela and Riley are more likely to get a chance along with Threlkeld IMO.
The 5 - 1 mauling by Melbourne won't have helped the younger ones.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I can't see a young striker getting a chance under Doogie's one up policy.  You will have Beckford rotating in and out with CDavis or whoever else is brought in shortly.  The other lads might get a sniff here and there.
Liverpool brought on a 16 year old last night in their game against Roma ..... if you can play you can play....20 years old is good enough if you have the skill.

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Wilkinson scored v Rocdale and in the Reserve match boltonx1 v Melbourne which we lost 5-1 he got the 1st after 5 minutes

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Terence is right in saying that if you're good enough age is not a factor and I have seen no evidence to suggest Dougie doesn't believe that wholeheartedly. We can presume that Liverpool's 16 year old has proven that he's good enough in training.
The papers are saying Clough is getting close too but in the current climate of change I think what that means is that they aren't going to be released, Dougie will trust them enough to play if we have an injury crisis and they'll hang around the first team squad/bench throughout the season being given every opportunity in training etc to force their way into the team if they genuinely are good enough.
Until then he may play them in cup matches etc.
All in all it's a very sensible approach to player development IMO.

I've said it a million times. Dougies done for youth at this club than any other manager I can remember. I'd imagine getting more out of the dev squad was a big part of his job description. This season needs to see more coming through and more successful loans but overall I think he's been strong so far.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm sure you didn't intend to write "Dougie's done for the youth at this club" and suspect that the missing word is "more" but I stand to be corrected.

Although it's a lot funnier as it is.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It is most certainly a typo. I agree with 74 as well.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

it seems Wilkinson has more chance of maklng the step up than Eaves, has he even played in pre-season yet? Iliev seems to have been a lot more involved than i expected as well.

Definitely a typo guys! Sloppy!

Eaves will be leaving pretty soon by all accounts Norpig.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i would like to have seen Eaves given a chance but it seems Dougie doesn't rate him.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:i would like to have seen Eaves given a chance but it seems Dougie doesn't rate him.
Nor do the Shrewsbury fans who had to endure his performance on loan to them last season (25 appearances 2 goals). I only saw him on t'internet and FL show so it was mainly "highlights" - most of which for Eaves was missing sitters. Sad really, but he genuinely doesn't look like he'll ever make the grade. L2 material I reckon and very annoying seeing as Coyle? paid a million for him.

My mate played against him last season. Said, and I quote 'worst fucking player iv ever seen, his own fans were hating him. I genuinely felt sorry for him'

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

oh well best get shot quick then  Laughing . Didn't his first spell at Shrewsbury go better than the last one? I'm sure i remember one of his loan spells when he scored fairly regularly.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:oh well best get shot quick then  Laughing . Didn't his first spell at Shrewsbury go better than the last one? I'm sure i remember one of his loan spells when he scored fairly regularly.
He scored 6 on 10 games first loan spell then went to Rotherham and scored 0 in 8.

Wilkinson apparently missed a few against Chorley - scored 1 but had half a dozen chances. Presumably Nat went to the match so will be able to give us the lowdown?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum