Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Wanderers wary of Watford's yellow perils - Matej Vydra and Troy Deeney

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers will be on yellow alert tomorrow in an effort to stop one of the Championship’s most dangerous duos.

Matej Vydra and Troy Deeney have been reunited at Vicarage Road for the first time since helping the Hornets into the play-offs two seasons ago.

While Deeney remains a target for Premier League clubs such as Burnley and Leicester – who were recently credited with a rejected £7million bid – Vydra returns after a mixed season on loan at West Brom.

And their threat certainly has not escaped the attention of the Dougie Freedman, who singled them out for special analysis in the build up to the game.

“We’ve studied their team and we’ve done a lot of work on how they play. Vydra is back, and that is very important for them,” he told The Bolton News. “We have looked hard at where he plays his game, which holes he drops into and what runs Deeney makes off him.

“We are looking to come up with an idea that will nullify where they get their opportunities.

“I think it will be a very tactical game, so we need to make sure we are in tip-top form that way.

“We’ve got one or two aces up our sleeve now and have tried a couple of formations over the summer that will help us.”

Freedman masterminded a narrow win at Watford last November, where Jermaine Beckford’s fortuitous effort settled a tight game.

More of the same is expected tomorrow, with both managers known for their tactical astuteness.

“I think it could be a similar situation,” Freedman said. “Back then it was a foreign manager (Gianfranco Zola) with a group of largely foreign players, who tend to adapt a bit better into the system they are being asked to play there.

“The current Watford squad is very similar. They have some very good players who know the system well. But we have got a good bunch of lads who not only want to listen on the training ground but also want to act on information given. That’s a big thing as a coach.

“You can always find players who can’t act on the information they are given. But those who can are great to work with – and I’m really looking forward to this game to see exactly where we are.”

Watford have been assisted by their relationship with Italian club Udinese and Spanish outfit Granada – both owned by the Pozzo family who have a controlling interest in the Hornets.

That has helped this summer with the arrival of strikers Vydra and Odion Ighalo on loan but Freedman did not want to be drawn on the ethics of the the club’s partnership.

“Everyone has spoken about that – did they break the rules, do they bend the rules? As far as I’m concerned the people who make the rules need to worry about that,” he added.

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum