Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Have You Read The Bible?

+10
BoltonTillIDie
scottjames30
doffcocker
wanderlust
Soul Kitchen
luckyPeterpiper
boltonbonce
Norpig
Boggersbelief
Natasha Whittam
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Have you read the bible?

Have You Read The Bible? Vote_lcap65%Have You Read The Bible? Vote_rcap 65% [ 11 ]
Have You Read The Bible? Vote_lcap35%Have You Read The Bible? Vote_rcap 35% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 17

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Have You Read The Bible? Empty Have You Read The Bible? Tue Aug 19 2014, 13:56

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Simple question, have you at any point in your life read the bible from cover to cover?

A recent survey suggests that only 8% of adults in the UK have read the whole bible. I find that utterly disgraceful, more people have read that 50 Shades of Grey bollocks.

It is one of the finest books ever written, there is more drama, murder and sex in the bible than any book ever written. What's not to like?

2Have You Read The Bible? Empty Re: Have You Read The Bible? Tue Aug 19 2014, 13:58

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm not religious.

3Have You Read The Bible? Empty Re: Have You Read The Bible? Tue Aug 19 2014, 13:59

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:I'm not religious.

That wasn't the question.

You don't go to Bolton games but post on here.

4Have You Read The Bible? Empty Re: Have You Read The Bible? Tue Aug 19 2014, 14:04

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i've not got a copy would i find it in the fiction section of Waterstones?

5Have You Read The Bible? Empty Re: Have You Read The Bible? Tue Aug 19 2014, 14:05

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:I'm not religious.

That wasn't the question.

You don't go to Bolton games but post on here.

Do you stalk me?

6Have You Read The Bible? Empty Re: Have You Read The Bible? Tue Aug 19 2014, 14:08

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

"I do not permit a woman to teach,or to have authority over a man; she is to remain silent"
Sounds like a good read to me.

7Have You Read The Bible? Empty Re: Have You Read The Bible? Tue Aug 19 2014, 14:10

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

When I was fourteen I was a very devout Catholic thinking seriously of applying for seminary. I read the whole of the bible then in three different versions, The New Jerusalem, The Good News and the King James. The Church was not happy with anyone reading the last of those as it was commissioned by a Protestant King but in all truth there's very little difference between any of them.

8Have You Read The Bible? Empty Re: Have You Read The Bible? Tue Aug 19 2014, 14:16

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

CAMRA Good Beer Guide is the only Bible I'm interested in.

9Have You Read The Bible? Empty Re: Have You Read The Bible? Tue Aug 19 2014, 14:17

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's a great read although it's more of a Reader's Digest with an estimated 120 contributors included. Quite interested in the stuff that was edited out by Rome too - all the communist stuff Jesus said about property being theft and how the church shouldn't own property etc. but have yet to see the full translation of the Gnostic writings, Dead Sea Scrolls and the Gospel according to St Phillip.

10Have You Read The Bible? Empty Re: Have You Read The Bible? Tue Aug 19 2014, 14:38

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:i've not got a copy would i find it in the fiction section of Waterstones?

Watch your back when you step outside.

11Have You Read The Bible? Empty Re: Have You Read The Bible? Tue Aug 19 2014, 14:48

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:It's a great read although it's more of a Reader's Digest with an estimated 120 contributors included. Quite interested in the stuff that was edited out by Rome too - all the communist stuff Jesus said about property being theft and how the church shouldn't own property etc. but have yet to see the full translation of the Gnostic writings, Dead Sea Scrolls and the Gospel according to St Phillip.
Not to mention the Gospel Of Mary Magdalene (yes it really DOES exist and the Vatican has the only known copy in its inner archive) which totally contradicts the rest of the New testament's assertion that she was a prostitute and that Jesus never married. Apparently only a very few carefully selected Catholic Theologians have ever seen it and it's never been allowed out of the archive at all in more than fifteen hundred years.

12Have You Read The Bible? Empty Re: Have You Read The Bible? Tue Aug 19 2014, 14:56

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Norpig wrote:i've not got a copy would i find it in the fiction section of Waterstones?

Watch your back when you step outside.

Will i be smited from above ?  Laughing

13Have You Read The Bible? Empty Re: Have You Read The Bible? Tue Aug 19 2014, 15:15

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I work for a lady who's good friends with the Lord.

Like you Nat, she's absolutely compelled by the bible. You two would get on great. You'd certainly teach her a new word or two.

14Have You Read The Bible? Empty Re: Have You Read The Bible? Tue Aug 19 2014, 15:19

I think this Yank kid swears by the teachings of the Bible and he's obviously not mental:

15Have You Read The Bible? Empty Re: Have You Read The Bible? Tue Aug 19 2014, 15:27

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
wanderlust wrote:It's a great read although it's more of a Reader's Digest with an estimated 120 contributors included. Quite interested in the stuff that was edited out by Rome too - all the communist stuff Jesus said about property being theft and how the church shouldn't own property etc. but have yet to see the full translation of the Gnostic writings, Dead Sea Scrolls and the Gospel according to St Phillip.
Not to mention the Gospel Of Mary Magdalene (yes it really DOES exist and the Vatican has the only known copy in its inner archive) which totally contradicts the rest of the New testament's assertion that she was a prostitute and that Jesus never married. Apparently only a very few carefully selected Catholic Theologians have ever seen it and it's never been allowed out of the archive at all in more than fifteen hundred years.
You've been reading the Da Vinci Code haven't you...

16Have You Read The Bible? Empty Re: Have You Read The Bible? Tue Aug 19 2014, 16:45

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've not read it but heard its too far fetched, is this true?

17Have You Read The Bible? Empty Re: Have You Read The Bible? Tue Aug 19 2014, 16:46

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:I've not read it but heard its too far fetched, is this true?

You heard wrong, it's all true.

18Have You Read The Bible? Empty Re: Have You Read The Bible? Tue Aug 19 2014, 17:04

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:I've not read it but heard its too far fetched, is this true?

You heard wrong, it's all true.

I might read it, or watch it on dvd, surly they have it on dvd by now?

19Have You Read The Bible? Empty Re: Have You Read The Bible? Tue Aug 19 2014, 17:12

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

TBF there's some contentious stuff in the Bible. Christians have a fairly casual approach to murdering babies for a start...

"Happy they shall be who take your little ones and dash them against the rock" Psalm 137:9

...and they take no shit from females...

"I permit no woman to teach or have authority over a man; she is to keep silent" 1 Timothy 2:12

...plus they're laissez faire about cannibalism...

"...and i will make them eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters and all shall eat the flesh of their neighbours in the siege and in the distress with which their enemies and those who seek their life afflict them" Jeremiah 19:9

Lots more good stuff, even in the heavily edited version we see today.

20Have You Read The Bible? Empty Re: Have You Read The Bible? Tue Aug 19 2014, 17:13

Just watch this instead, it's a close enough approximation and sends a better message than the original in my opinion:

Have You Read The Bible? 220px-Lifeofbrianfilmposter

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum