You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » I'm sick of hearing about Madeleine McCann

I'm sick of hearing about Madeleine McCann

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1I'm sick of hearing about Madeleine McCann Empty I'm sick of hearing about Madeleine McCann on Wed Apr 25 2012, 15:33

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
I'm a nice person, but enough is enough. A little girl disappeared in Portugal in 2007 and we're still hearing about it.

Since she disappeared there have been no confirmed sightings.

She was not the child of anybody famous.

It is a tragedy for her family.

Millions of other little children have died all over the world in the last five years through hunger, the lack of clean water, disease and war.

Why is the British media obsessed with this case?
Why can't her parents have the dignity to suffer in private and stop wasting police and politicians' time and resources?


Today the police have released an image of what Madeleine might look like if she were still alive and aged 9.

I'm sick of hearing about Madeleine McCann McCannMadeleine_aged9_25042012

What a complete waste of time and money. The chances that the little girl is alive, that this picture will resonate with somebody and lead to her being found alive is absolutely tiny.

This is before I even get into the issue that the parents are responsible for her disappearance by leaving her unattended in a foreign country.

Is anyone else sick of Madeleine McCann? Am I being unfair?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@largehat wrote:
Why can't her parents have the dignity to suffer in private and stop wasting police and politicians' time and resources?


Let me guess....you have no children?

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
I have no children, but I've had immediate family die. It's possible, Natasha, to have a discussion about something in the news without it become a discussion of the individuals on the forum. Bear that in mind.

Let me put it this way, normally when something like this happens, the police and family appeal for privacy. Five years on, these parents are doing rhe polar opposite. They are obsessed with media attention, anyone with a basic grasp of the facts can see the little girl has almost certainly been dead for years.

Keegan

Keegan
Moderator
Moderator
She might look like the picture below, in 20 years.
I'm sick of hearing about Madeleine McCann 7500005_lg_3_madeline-kahn

She might have changed her surname to Kahn by then as well.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@largehat wrote:I have no children, but I've had immediate family die. It's possible, Natasha, to have a discussion about something in the news without it become a discussion of the individuals on the forum. Bear that in mind.

Let me put it this way, normally when something like this happens, the police and family appeal for privacy. Five years on, these parents are doing rhe polar opposite. They are obsessed with media attention, anyone with a basic grasp of the facts can see the little girl has almost certainly been dead for years.

The point I was making was that if you had a child you'd know that a parent would do ANYTHING they possibly could to find out what happened to their daughter - of course they're going to try to keep her name in the media, it's the only way, no matter how slight, they will find their daughter if she's still alive.

Guest


Guest
Totally disagree with you here Largehat, what the McCann's are doing is completely understandable in my opinion. If someone took one of my kids I would do exactly the same, do you expect them to just give up and forget about their daughter?

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
@Natasha Whittam wrote:
The point I was making was that if you had a child you'd know that a parent would do ANYTHING they possibly could to find out what happened to their daughter - of course they're going to try to keep her name in the media, it's the only way, no matter how slight, they will find their daughter if she's still alive.

I understand that point, it's the same sentiment expressed by Winnie Johnson who was tortured for decades because they couldn't find her son's body on Saddleworth Moor. I get that. But Madeleine or her body could be anywhere in the world, and there are no leads.

My OP was really about the media rather than the parents though.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Passi wrote:Totally disagree with you here Largehat, what the McCann's are doing is completely understandable in my opinion. If someone took one of my kids I would do exactly the same, do you expect them to just give up and forget about their daughter?

What about the media? Are you personally, as a consumer of the media, actually interested in this story?

Is your sympathy for the McCanns not tempered even slightly by leaving their young children unattended while they had tapas and cocktails?

Do you think this case deserves precedence over all the other little children who go missing each year?

And do you think there's even a 1% chance she is still alive?



Last edited by largehat on Wed Apr 25 2012, 16:17; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added an extra point)

Guest


Guest
@largehat wrote:
What about the media? Are you personally, as a consumer of the media, actually interested in this story?

Is your sympathy for the McCanns not tempered even slightly by leaving their young children unattended while they had tapas and cocktails?

And do you think there's even a 1% chance she is still alive?

I think there's a much bigger chance she is alive, it's not easy to kill and dispose of a body in this day and age. It's much easier for me to believe someone took her and brainwashed the kid.

I am still interested in the story because I put myself in the McCann's position and my heart bleeds for them. I can totally understand a young man like you not caring much, I'd have been the same at your age, but I don't suppose the McCann's care who likes/dislikes the story as long as people keep their daughter's face in their head.

As for the McCann's being in the wrong for leaving the girl alone, they've admitted to that and I have little doubt it eats away at them every day. But as a parent myself I've done silly things, I guess I was just lucky to get away with it.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Fair enough Passi. A different perspective on things, I respect that answer.

Guest


Guest
Believe me Largehat, one day you'll have kids and you'll change your whole outlook on the McCann saga.

To answer your added point, I certainly don't think Madeleine McCann deserves more coverage than any other missing child - but being brutally honest, the story is just a lot sexier for the media and sells papers.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I don't really pay much mind to this story to be honest.

the only reason she gets so much coverage is because she's a "poster child" for white middle class success.

lots of children go missing, none have had this kind of coverage.

but i wouldn't say I'm sick of it, i'm just nonplussed.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:
the only reason she gets so much coverage is because she's a "poster child" for white middle class success.

lots of children go missing, none have had this kind of coverage.

I wasn't going to bring the class thing into it HN but you are absolutely spot on.

If that was a working class family the media would not give a shit.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@largehat wrote:

I wasn't going to bring the class thing into it HN but you are absolutely spot on.

If that was a working class family the media would not give a shit.

Bollocks. What about Shannon Matthews? She was from a working class family and it was all over the media - even before the truth came to light.

Isn't more likely that very few children actually go missing?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
that was because Shannon Matthew's mother brought the harrowing tale of a "kidnap" to the media.

Are you telling me there have been 2 children who have disappeared in the last decade.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
@Natasha Whittam wrote:
Bollocks. What about Shannon Matthews? She was from a working class family and it was all over the media - even before the truth came to light.

Isn't more likely that very few children actually go missing?

Who?

I'm talking about fawning over the family 1,2,3,4,5 - where it will end I don't know - years after the disappearance. It's unprecedented.

Many children go missing, though usually they are in their teens, but they are still children. It's a big deal because the McCanns are middle class and bad things like that are only supposed to happen to the unwashed masses, right Natasha?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:that was because Shannon Matthew's mother brought the harrowing tale of a "kidnap" to the media.

Are you telling me there have been 2 children who have disappeared in the last decade.

I don't know, I was asking the question....without using Google I can't think of any other missing children, other than Ben Needham in Greece in the early 90's.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Well i did use google, just searched Uk missing people. Children brings up this image.

I'm sick of hearing about Madeleine McCann Ij5cm5botpKnd

I certainly don't recognise any of them from the hours of media coverage and pages and pages of newspaper articles.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc
Moderator
Moderator
I can't say I am sick of seeing it, I don't have kids myself but would probably try and keep her name out there as long as possible.

It certainly helps the family has a lot of money, though the only thing that slightly annoys me about the whole thing is them selling books on it and getting into Wembley to see the FA cup semi final for sod all.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
They're all older children, perhaps the answer is there are very few young children that go missing - hence the media obsession with Madeleine McCann.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
They're not all "older" though are they, one is a baby and i can see 3 or 4 who would probably be in primary school.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
@aaron_bwfc wrote:
It certainly helps the family has a lot of money, though the only thing that slightly annoys me about the whole thing is them selling books on it and getting into Wembley to see the FA cup semi final for sod all.

Great post. Sums it all up for me.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
The McCanns feel guilty because they let Madeleine down. The subsequent witch hunt by the Pork and Cheese authorities simply compounded their abject misery.

Until you lose a child I don't think you can ever truly understand how terrible life must be.

FWIW I believe her parents were not involved in any aspect of her disappearance whatsoever. Yes, they were on holiday and let their guard down by leaving the kids unattended and they have to live with that terrible thought every single day of their lives. The most likely scenario is that Maddie was kidnapped by a predatory paedophile and she is most likely with the angels. I do hope not but that's what I think.

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
@Reebok Trotter wrote:The McCanns feel guilty because they let Madeleine down. The subsequent witch hunt by the Pork and Cheese authorities simply compounded their abject misery.

Until you lose a child I don't think you can ever truly understand how terrible life must be.

FWIW I believe her parents were not involved in any aspect of her disappearance whatsoever. Yes, they were on holiday and let their guard down by leaving the kids unattended and they have to live with that terrible thought every single day of their lives. The most likely scenario is that Maddie was kidnapped by a predatory paedophile and she is most likely with the angels. I do hope not but that's what I think.
Spot on, and im not sick of it i hope it has an ending one way or the other.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
The case of Claudia Lawrence who went missing without a trace has also attracted an awful lot of publicity. She wasn't a child but her disappearance still caused huge press interest.

The media seemed to focus on her busy sex life but as a single woman who are they to judge her on who she slept with ? I reckon she was abducted off the street on her way to work and that, like Madeline, she is also at peace.

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
@Reebok Trotter wrote:The case of Claudia Lawrence who went missing without a trace has also attracted an awful lot of publicity. She wasn't a child but her disappearance still caused huge press interest.

The media seemed to focus on her busy sex life but as a single woman who are they to judge her on who she slept with ? I reckon she was abducted off the street on her way to work and that, like Madeline, she is also at peace.
Dead you mean and roaming about the inbetween fretting over what happened to them not sure if they are really dead or in a dream.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Angry Dad wrote:Dead you mean and roaming about the inbetween fretting over what happened to them not sure if they are really dead or in a dream.

For all we know she could be under the sea in an Octopus's garden. Whenever they showed the image of Claudia I always thought she had a sad smile as if there was something missing in her life.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
LH and HN, I can't believe your attitudes ! Before spouting shite about leaving children to disappear in to history, just because you two are bored with it, is absolutely ridiculous. If you had bothered your arses, you would have seen that this investigation has been ongoing for a year, along with a Portuguese one, and that the British Police are going through 40,000 pieces of paper, and have currently realised 195 leads, with one of them apparently being very 'promising.. The main reason this case is continuing is because the Portuguese police fucked up the case, and the inspector in charge has even admitted to making errors, and the chances of finding a child (the name doesn't always matter' who was stolen from her parents, ws lost. Unfortunately, he managed to sway the Portuguese public opinion to, like yourself, lose interest.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Sorry mate, but you fundamentally misinterpreted everything i said about it.

My main gripe isn't that the case is continuing it's the garish media obsession with this little girl.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:Sorry mate, but you fundamentally misinterpreted everything i said about it.

My main gripe isn't that the case is continuing it's the garish media obsession with this little girl.

Yep, this. I've said several times my thread was mainly about the media.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum