Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Neil Lennon eyes January transfer window signings

+2
Natasha Whittam
karlypants
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers are in a hurry to join the January sales – but Neil Lennon admits his spending money will be limited.

The Whites boss desperately needs attacking reinforcements after losing Chung-Yong Lee to the Asia Cup, and the likes of Mark Davies, Joe Mason and Max Clayton to injury in recent weeks.

Celtic’s Kris Commons and Manchester United youngster Nick Powell are two of the players on Lennon’s short-list, although neither deal is straightforward.

Middlesbrough have reportedly emerged as an alternative option for Powell, while the club must wait until tomorrow before opening talks with Commons – initially about a pre-contract.

Should Wanderers secure an agreement they would also be in a better bargaining position to sign him on loan, or for a cash fee, for the rest of this season.

Celtic remain in talks with the former Nottingham Forest and Derby County star but have only offered him a one-year deal to stay at Parkhead.

Lennon is anxious to have someone on board by the time his side face Leeds United in their next Championship game on January 10.

“We need to get our skates on,” he told The Bolton News.

“We are patching players up, playing them out of position, it is only going to get harder.

“We’ve had some real bonuses, particularly with Josh Vela, who has been excellent.

“I know we’ve got a decent sized squad but we need to bring some quality in to augment what we already have if we’re to make a serious fist of making the play-offs.”

Lennon is focusing on loan deals for now with no cash available for outright signings.

The manager admits some players could be allowed to leave in the window to generate funds but insists he has yet to receive a solid offer for anyone.

“The situation right now is that we haven’t got any money to spend, only what we generate from selling players,” he said.

“At the minute there hasn’t been any real interest. I haven’t really had a phone call about any of the players but I’m sure that will change.

“I think it will be a busy few days. If clubs don’t want to let their players out we’ll have to be as persuasive as we can, I suppose. That’s the area we find ourselves in.

“We have to be clever with Bosmans, loans, then if we get a bit of money in we can try and use it wisely.

“I’d definitely rather players come in than go out, put it that way. We do look a little bit light at the moment in certain areas of the squad.”

Although Wanderers lost for the first time since October on Sunday, Lennon is confident they will bounce back quickly.

“It won’t faze us,” he said. “It was a good unbeaten run we were on but we’ll just have to go on another one now.”

Source

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Powell is shite, and a bottler, no way will Lennon sign him.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

where has this bottler thing come from and what did he do? He looked decent last season when he was at Wigan, didn't he score against us at home?

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Looks quality to me when I've seen him but some Pie Eaters and Leicester fans weren't sorry to see the back of him so who knows.

jussi22

jussi22
Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

Natasha Whittam wrote:Powell is shite, and a bottler, no way will Lennon sign him.
He can score though, great at shooting from outside the box.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:where has this bottler thing come from and what did he do? He looked decent last season when he was at Wigan, didn't he score against us at home?

He was allegedly down as a penalty taker in the FA Cup Semi-Final against Arsenal - when it came to the kicks he refused to take one because he said missing would hurt his career.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:where has this bottler thing come from and what did he do? He looked decent last season when he was at Wigan, didn't he score against us at home?

He did indeed. I would definitely like to see him at the Macron.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum