Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Moral Dilema 1 (To pay or not to pay?)

+7
NickFazer
rammywhite
Soul Kitchen
Bwfc1958
scottjames30
Natasha Whittam
Sluffy
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Should the millionaire ex-club legends pay to see the match just like the rest of us?

Moral Dilema 1 (To pay or not to pay?) Vote_lcap50%Moral Dilema 1 (To pay or not to pay?) Vote_rcap 50% [ 6 ]
Moral Dilema 1 (To pay or not to pay?) Vote_lcap50%Moral Dilema 1 (To pay or not to pay?) Vote_rcap 50% [ 6 ]
Moral Dilema 1 (To pay or not to pay?) Vote_lcap0%Moral Dilema 1 (To pay or not to pay?) Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

A bit of fun - but what do you think.

Saw this picture below on another thread and it got me thinking...

Moral Dilema 1 (To pay or not to pay?) _80797938_twitter[/quote]

If we really are £165 million in debt and these lads above (Davies and Muamba) who are actually multi-millionaires - should they have paid to get in last night - even though they are club 'legends'?

(To be honest they may have paid - I don't know either way but for the sake of the question assume they haven't).

Would it be petty minded to ask for a few quid off people we've made multi-millionaires or does every penny count when you haven't got a pot to piss in?

So should they put their hands in their pockets or not?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

They should definitely be made to pay the sponging twats.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't think they should pay, if they had to pay they might not come.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:I don't think they should pay, if they had to pay they might not come.

They came because they thought there was going to be a scrap.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

They came because they thought there was going to be a scrap.

They must know only Amos turns out for fights, fuck um.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Dead right they should pay. I have to pay when I go and Im skint.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

They came cos they were on a freebie!

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

This is bollocks! These guys are ambassadors for the club and the game. Their exploits brought the fans in and gave us years of excitement.
If Kevin or Fabrice want to come and watch- then they're more than welcome.
Don't be so arsy and tight!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

rammywhite wrote:

Tight? Wouldn't you say it was tight to accept a freebie when you could easily afford to pay like everyone else?

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
rammywhite wrote:

Tight? Wouldn't you say it was tight to accept a freebie when you could easily afford to pay like everyone else?

No I wouldn't. Its got nothing to do with money- its to do with who should be able to watch the game as a guest of the club. Kevin Davies has every right to do so as he was a star performer for us for 10 years. You're winding me up Nat you naughty old slapper

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

rammywhite wrote:

No I wouldn't. Its got nothing to do with money- its to do with who should be able to watch the game as a guest of the club. Kevin Davies has every right to do so as he was a star performer for us for 10 years. You're winding me up Nat you naughty old slapper

I've been to about 99.5% of home games in the last 25 years, surely I am more deserving of a freebie?

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
rammywhite wrote:

I've been to about 99.5% of home games in the last 25 years, surely I am more deserving of a freebie?

But you've not been a star performer- unless you can find someone who'll testify to your prowess

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Don't have a problem with ex players going to the occasional game as guests of the club in fact it is a positive thing that ex players are welcomed back, you can't put a monetary value on everything, otherwise nobody would ever do anyone a favour. I have heard that West Ham used to to charge Bobby Moore when he attended games even when other players weren't, there was a story about it in the papers, if that was true then its a disgrace.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

They certainly should not pay.  When I read Nat's post it instantly reminded me of the West Ham story - It was from Harry Redknapp's book.  And after hearing the story I found it shocking as I would if I found out the same thing happened to any of our previous players.

The story about Bobby Moore is here:

When I go to Upton Park these days there are two gigantic portraits in the corners at each end. One is of Sir Trevor Brooking, the other of Bobby Moore. 

Think about that. Sir Trevor Brooking; plain old Bobby Moore. No disrespect to Trevor, he was a great footballer and remains a fine ambassador for the game but it doesn’t seem right. 

How was Trevor knighted and Bobby ignored? 

Now he’s dead you can’t move for pictures of him around the place. It disgusts me. 

How was the greatest footballer and one of the greatest sportsmen this country ever produced reduced to living his final years as a commentator on Capital Radio and a columnist in the downmarket Sunday Sport newspaper - rejected by his club, his country, and those who should have placed him at the heart of the game?

The hypocrisy that followed his tragically premature death in 1993 sickens me. Bob’s got it all now. The old South Bank named after him at Upton Park, statues outside the ground and at Wembley Stadium. They even use his name to sell West Ham United merchandise these days. ‘Moore than a football club’ is the slogan. 

When he was alive they didn’t want to know him. I saw him get slung out of there for not having a ticket.

It was the 1979–80 season and I had just returned from four years playing and coaching in America with Seattle Sounders and  Phoenix Fire. I went to watch West Ham, who were in the Second Division at the time. I can’t remember who they were playing, but I know I sat next to Frank Lampard Snr’s mum.

Frank was still playing but West Ham were struggling that season and it was quite a poor gate. 

It was a mid-table, middle-of-the-road, nothing match. 

The players’ families and guests used to sit in E block and Bobby would often come to watch. 

He didn’t want to cause a big commotion walking through the crowd or hanging around before the game so he would wait until after kick-off, go up to one of the old turnstiles with the wooden doors and knock.

The bloke would open up and, blimey, it’s Bobby Moore. ‘Come in, Bob, there’s plenty of seats upstairs,’ and up he would go. I can see him now. He would sit over in the corner, right out of the way, on these rotten old wooden benches that they used to have and watch the match on his own.

This day I was sitting in E block next to Frank’s mum, Hilda, when from behind me I heard, ‘Harry.’ I turned around and it was Bobby. We were about 15 minutes into the game. ‘Fancy a cup of tea at half-time?’ I said, and he gave me the thumbs-up. 

Next thing I knew, a steward was marching up the steps towards him. ‘Excuse me, Bob’ - he looked almost ashamed - ‘it’s not me, but the secretary wants to know if you’ve got a ticket.’

Bob said he hadn’t. ‘Then I’m afraid I’ve been told to ask you to leave.’
And he went. Bobby Moore. The Bobby Moore. Thrown out of a half-empty stand at West Ham because he didn’t have a ticket. I don’t think he ever went back after that.

Not just to watch a game casually, anyway.

If he had a ticket as a press man he would go, obviously, and sit in the press box with the writers but I don’t think he returned to the club seats. 

They should have been phoning him to attend their matches. 

‘Come and be our guest, Bob. Front row in the directors’ box every week, Bob.’ They should have treated him like he owned the place. Nothing should have been too good for Bobby.

Can you imagine if you were a promising young footballer and Bobby Moore, England’s only World Cup-winning captain, came around your house to persuade you to sign for West Ham? Game over.

Arsenal and Tottenham wouldn’t have stood a chance. 
Instead, West Ham were turfing him out of the ground like a  hooligan. It still upsets me to think about it.

Bobby was made an OBE after England won the World Cup, but that’s not as grand as it sounds. John Motson is an OBE. So are Des Lynam, Garth Crooks and Jimmy Hill. 

Craig Brown, the former manager of Scotland, has a higher award, a CBE, as does Paul Elliott, the former Chelsea defender, and Pele, who is Brazilian.

And don’t get me started on those who have received knighthoods for running football. Sir Dave Richards, Sir Bert Millichip.

Bobby might not have cared where his name went on any  honours list — but I do. 
To me, it sums up the way he was shunned by the game in the years before his death.

Sir Trevor Brooking is the Football Association’s cup of tea. He’s their type of person. Bobby was a player’s player.

What a man. I mean it. What a man. The straightest, most honest bloke you could meet in your life. Not an ounce of aggression in him, not a hint of nastiness. Won the World Cup, and even the opposition loved him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2449196/HARRY-REDKNAPP-BOOK-EXCLUSIVE-How-Bobby-Moore-betrayed-West-Ham.html

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Good read that, can't understand why, if true, a player of Bobby Moore's status could ever be treated like that.

It's 'cos he nicked that bracelet.

Mud sticks.

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Long time ago that Bread, I bet a lot of posters on here don't remember it Cool 

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/jun/20/football.alantravis

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

That reminds me...

Many years ago, at school, in geography lessons, me and this other kid (Andy L) used to have our atlasses open and played a game of finding the town or city from a cryptic clue - for instance 'coloured puddle' would be Blackpool, or 'wanders around' would be Rome, etc. (This was a time before mobile phones, so we had to make our own fun - however bad it was!)

Anyway one day his clue was 'Oh relief'.

I couldn't get it and even when he told me the answer (it is the same place as the nicked braclet was taken from) I still didn't get it - until he spoke it out with the three syllables of the city.

Still makes me smile today.

Happy days.

Very Happy

Funnily enough, I honestly thought of Sir Bobby last night when Wheater stood tall and tackled a Liverpool player (no idea who it was) on the edge of our box.

It was just like this (and unlike my usual contributions, I genuinely mean it) :

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's brilliant - coffee snorted down schnozz moment!

Bog....go to.....aaaaah!

Your classmate obviously had a gift for language, Sluff.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum