Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Moral Luck

+4
largehat
Natasha Whittam
Angry Dad
jayjay23
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Moral Luck Empty Moral Luck Sat Apr 14 2012, 19:37

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

There are two drunk drivers (A nd B). One driving North. The other South. Both drivers are the same height and weight and have the same tolerance to alcohol.

An elderly pedestrian steps into the road in front of driver A at exactly the same time as a young man steps into the path of driver B.

The driver's reactions are exactly the same - except driver A hits the old man but the young man jumps out of the way of driver B just in time. The old man dies.

Both drivers are caught and arrested by the police.

Morally speaking, is driver A more blameworthy?
Should driver A get a greater sentence for his actions even though he had no control over the outcome?

2Moral Luck Empty Re: Moral Luck Sat Apr 14 2012, 19:48

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

yep he killed a bloke the other didnt its called tough shit.

3Moral Luck Empty Re: Moral Luck Sat Apr 14 2012, 19:50

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

In a perfect world they should get the same stiff sentence, but for some reason they are classed as totally different offences.

4Moral Luck Empty Re: Moral Luck Sat Apr 14 2012, 19:55

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Murder and attempted murder are separate offences too. Ultimately, killing someone is always going to be perceived in law as worse than not killing someone.

5Moral Luck Empty Re: Moral Luck Sat Apr 14 2012, 20:28

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Angry Dad knows his stuff. That is, in fact, tough shit.

Last edited by Keegan on Sun Apr 15 2012, 01:20; edited 1 time in total

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

6Moral Luck Empty Re: Moral Luck Sat Apr 14 2012, 20:53

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Driver A will be prosecuted and sentanced more harshly than B due to actually killing someone.

Even in an ideal world a death would be treated more harshly than anything else. But also in an ideal world cars would be fitted with breathalyser starters (which will be synchronised to specfic drivers) and neither would be driving to begin with.

7Moral Luck Empty Re: Moral Luck Sat Apr 14 2012, 22:17

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

bwfc71 wrote:
But also in an ideal world cars would be fitted with breathalyser starters (which will be synchronised to specfic drivers) and neither would be driving to begin with.

Bloody hell, I'm glad I don't live in your draconian vision of an ideal world.

8Moral Luck Empty Re: Moral Luck Sat Apr 14 2012, 22:29

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

For many that would be a logical extension of todays laws. Such as in America, where drivers agree to have cameras installed in their cars, mostly to prove their innocence when in an accident. Was there not a fitting in some British cars a few years ago, that could detect when a driver was drowsy, and alerting him/her.?

9Moral Luck Empty Re: Moral Luck Sat Apr 14 2012, 22:33

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

You could make the case that having cameras in every street, or a microchip and GPS tracker installed under the skin of every citizen, would also reduce crime. I'd rather keep my civil liberties thanks, I'm not a criminal.

10Moral Luck Empty Re: Moral Luck Sat Apr 14 2012, 22:39

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I agree, although I think there some areas some places that need them.

11Moral Luck Empty Re: Moral Luck Sun Apr 15 2012, 00:16

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My advice is don't drink and drive. If you want to keep death off the roads then it's best to drive on the pavement.

12Moral Luck Empty Re: Moral Luck Sun Apr 15 2012, 08:45

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

largehat wrote:
bwfc71 wrote:
But also in an ideal world cars would be fitted with breathalyser starters (which will be synchronised to specfic drivers) and neither would be driving to begin with.

Bloody hell, I'm glad I don't live in your draconian vision of an ideal world.

I actually had one fitted for a while - but I was being paid by the government to do so - approximately 180 a month I was getting for 18 months! A nice little earner!

From what I can gather they actually use it in Canada for those who have been done for drink driving - but its not a permanent fixture. For example if you are just over the limit then its fixed in the car for about 12 months, rather than losing a licence. If 3 times over the limit, or above, then it is a permanent fixture for at least 5 years, after getting licence back.

Basically you cannot start your engine until you breath into the device and if its clear then it lets you turn on the rngine. If not it then disables the car and you then have to call out an engineer to un-disable it.

13Moral Luck Empty Re: Moral Luck Sun Apr 15 2012, 10:21

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:You could make the case that having cameras in every street, or a microchip and GPS tracker installed under the skin of every citizen, would also reduce crime. I'd rather keep my civil liberties thanks, I'm not a criminal.

Criminals always say that. If you have nothing to hide you wouldn't object to being microchipped like dogs are.

It would cut crime and terrorism in half overnight.

14Moral Luck Empty Re: Moral Luck Sun Apr 15 2012, 11:03

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Nat, that would work if evryone in the world were treated like this. Just for us wouldn't make a blind bit of difference.

15Moral Luck Empty Re: Moral Luck Sun Apr 15 2012, 11:59

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:Nat, that would work if evryone in the world were treated like this. Just for us wouldn't make a blind bit of difference.

Of course it would. If Largehat was chipped and decided to rob the local Spar he wouldn't be able to say he was at home with Hipster, the chip would prove where he was.

16Moral Luck Empty Re: Moral Luck Sun Apr 15 2012, 12:06

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

True, but you would need visual confirmation, be it a camera or eyeballing. Besides, you wouldn't need that, because the loud discussions and disagreements between the two would make them stand out to any passers-by Very Happy

17Moral Luck Empty Re: Moral Luck Sun Apr 15 2012, 12:16

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:True, but you would need visual confirmation, be it a camera or eyeballing. Besides, you wouldn't need that, because the loud discussions and disagreements between the two would make them stand out to any passers-by Very Happy

Spar have cameras. Largehat is banged to rights.

18Moral Luck Empty Re: Moral Luck Sun Apr 15 2012, 12:32

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Ok, fair enough, and his sentence for such a foul and heinous crime? After all, if people are going to be watched and tracked all their lives, and still commit crimes, what would you suggest, a physical one, or financial one. The alternative is to let him go to court, where they will slap his wrist, and send him home.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum