Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Emile Heskey: Bolton striker to stay until the end of the season

+5
wanderlust
Keegan
luckyPeterpiper
Norpig
karlypants
9 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Championship side Bolton have agreed a deal to keep striker Emile Heskey at the club until the end of the season.

The 37-year-old former England forward joined the Wanderers in December on an initial short-term deal.

Heskey came off the bench to score on his Bolton debut against Blackburn on Boxing Day, but has not netted in his nine appearances since.

"He's signed an extension as his contract was only up until the end of this month," said boss Neil Lennon.

He told BBC Radio Manchester: "We've extended that until the end of the season and we'll sit down and have a chat with him once everything is through.

"What a player he is. There were a lot of raised eyebrows when we brought him in but if you look at his individual performances they are very, very good for a guy of his age and he leads the line brilliantly."

The former Leicester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Wigan and Aston Villa striker arrived at the Macron Stadium after leaving Australian A-League side Newcastle Jets.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

he's doing a decent job but need him to chip in a few more goals although i know he's never been prolific in the past

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I think he#s worth keeping next season as well if only for his experience. I'd look to use him as an impact sub with Clough and Cravies starting.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I'd rather bring through our young strikers next season than extend Emile for another year - Tom Walker, James Thomas, Georg Iliev, Connor Wilkinson, Sanmi Odelusi and Kaiyne Woolery. I thought Emile and Eidur were both signed until the rest of the season anyway.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Odelusi scored again today.

Expecting big things from him next term.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Keegan wrote:I'd rather bring through our young strikers next season than extend Emile for another year - Tom Walker, James Thomas, Georg Iliev, Connor Wilkinson, Sanmi Odelusi and Kaiyne Woolery. I thought Emile and Eidur were both signed until the rest of the season anyway.
I understand where you're coming from here keegan but think that Emile would be valuable for his experience especially in tight games. As an impact sub he could be very useful. He's not an out and out goalscorer of course but his hold up play and off the ball work would create a lot of space for the likes of Clough and Odelusi to exploit.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Odelusi scored again today.

Expecting big things from him next term.

I've been expecting big things from him for the last few seasons but have come to the conclusion that he's a L1 standard striker and is unlikely to hack it for us. Hope he proves me wrong.

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

We have shown we need a big man up front not only to threaten opposition defenses but also to hold up the ball and take pressure off our defense. Craig Davies is the preferred choice but due to his injury vulnerability cover is needed. Whether Heskey is the man is open to Lennon's opinion guided by the purse holder.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I get what you're saying, LPP. My example here though would be the goal Zach scored off the Vela assist. We lost the ball off a tackle at the edge of the final third and Heskey was stood where he was of no use to the team, waving his hands at the referee. Vela retrieved the ball and made an incisive pass which was adeptly turned in by Clough. It was only when Clough controlled the ball that Heskey turned to see what was happening. This was his lack of pace and mobility that took him so far off the play. Our younger lads have been inspired by seeing the likes of Clough, Vela, Threlkeld, Lester and now Walker get a run in the senior team and bringing back Emile who will only be a year slower and less mobile, is a backward step. We can agree to disagree, of course.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Keegan wrote:I'd rather bring through our young strikers next season than extend Emile for another year - Tom Walker, James Thomas, Georg Iliev, Connor Wilkinson, Sanmi Odelusi and Kaiyne Woolery.

Please shut up. You can't just throw a bunch of kids into the team and expect to challenge for the play-offs. All those players have one thing in common - lightweight.

We've produced exactly ZERO young players over the last 5 years, yet you want to throw six of them in?

Go and lie down.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

That was a refreshing lie down. Thanks for the suggestion.

I was actually giving a selection of youngsters to choose from, that could be integrated into play instead of bringing Lord Heskey back to stand with his back to goal and wave his hands at the referee. Having brought Clough (6 goals) and Vela (2 assists) into the team this year, "We've produced exactly ZERO young players over the last 5 years" doesn't hold water.

Go and lie down. It really works.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

The idea of signing Heskey seemed quite fun until he became a regular.

Having said that, his most impressive performance to date came at Ewood the other night where he looked less heavy and held the ball up quite well.

I just hope we're not paying him a lot, because there must be better players out there that we can bring in to tide us over.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I don't think I would spend any more money on Heskey unless we have no other options. 

I'm not sure he is worth it to be an impact sub.....due to the fact he makes no impact .... IMO

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum