Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How Does This Relegation Compare?

+9
largehat
Sluffy
Keegan
aaron_bwfc
CEF
Mallorca Trotter
Reebok_Rebel
bwfc71
Natasha Whittam
13 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How Does This Relegation Compare? Empty How Does This Relegation Compare? Tue May 15 2012, 15:50

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This is the third time we have been relegated from the Premier League.

The first time was in 1995-96 when we were bottom virtually all season, the second time in 1997-98 when we were relegated on goal difference.

So how does relegation under Owen Coyle compare? Are you more/less upset this time? Personally I am more angry than upset this time. I was genuinely upset on the first two occasions, I think I actually cried if truth be known, but this time the complete lack of effort from the players and the manager making excuses leaves me wanting to assassinate the lot of 'em.

2How Does This Relegation Compare? Empty Re: How Does This Relegation Compare? Tue May 15 2012, 16:00

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

First time, as Natasha says, we were bottom and got relegated on the lowest number points ever, at the time. It was inevitable long before Christmas that we were not strong enough. To be fair I wasn't either upset nor angry about it as I had got used to teh idea by the time it happened.

Second time, I was upset as I felt we did deserve a second season in the Barclaycard Premiership.

Sunday - more than ANGRY! Coyle didn't try to help out - in fact he hindered teh team with the constant changing of the formation, wrong formations, players in wrong positions, not using players etc etc etc. Then some of the players we used were just plainily crap (Zat Knightmare springs to mind). Its been 8 years of success in the Premiership followed by a slow downward trend, Lee, Megson and Coyle - all appointed by the same chairman (helped by an unscruperlous ex-agent!). We have been oour own makiing in our downfall and thats whats makes me angry the most. Not the state of play as that has been dire but not helped by the appointments of teh managers and their backroom staff.

3How Does This Relegation Compare? Empty Re: How Does This Relegation Compare? Tue May 15 2012, 16:03

this is my first experience of relegation since i only started watching bolton last season. in fact, i've been to every home game since about march last year and i think i've only seen about 6 wins! but i'm hooked now so i'll be there next season.

4How Does This Relegation Compare? Empty Re: How Does This Relegation Compare? Tue May 15 2012, 16:17

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

not-so-plain-jayne wrote:this is my first experience of relegation since i only started watching bolton last season. in fact, i've been to every home game since about march last year and i think i've only seen about 6 wins! but i'm hooked now so i'll be there next season.

ive seen it before but, like you, im only young...so ive only really watched us 'full time' in the prem...

its gonna be a roller-coaster that's for sure...

5How Does This Relegation Compare? Empty Re: How Does This Relegation Compare? Tue May 15 2012, 16:20

Mallorca Trotter

Mallorca Trotter
David Lee
David Lee

This is the worse one for me...

I expected to build and build during 11 years and be comfortable.. The first 2 years we never got chance to develop and change the squad into a premiership one..

This is a massive backwards step... And with the finances.... Gulp..

6How Does This Relegation Compare? Empty Re: How Does This Relegation Compare? Tue May 15 2012, 16:35

CEF

CEF
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Definitely the worst one of the three you mention.

I was a lot younger for the fourth top-flight relegation in my lifetime (1979-1980).

Yes, angry describes this one well.

But not as bad as the relegation to Aldershot!! That was truly miserable.

7How Does This Relegation Compare? Empty Re: How Does This Relegation Compare? Tue May 15 2012, 17:08

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Too young for the first time round, I remember the 1998-99 one quite well though I didn't go to the games that year. I just remember listening to the Chelsea Bolton game on the radio and I for some reason I got upset....ever since I was hooked on BWFC.

This time around it's been very frustrating seeing the final nail in the coffin of what Big sam built, Sammy lee ruined what BSA had built in one summer, Megson turned the club into a walking nightmaire for the fans and coyle has completed the job by bringing in some of the poorest players you will see in this league.

Still I am looking forward to what the Championship brings, new beginnings with some youth academy players I hope.

8How Does This Relegation Compare? Empty Re: How Does This Relegation Compare? Tue May 15 2012, 17:23

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

It sucks.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

9How Does This Relegation Compare? Empty Re: How Does This Relegation Compare? Tue May 15 2012, 18:27

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I feel this is the worst because I honestly believe that this could have been completely avoided if we had not have had 'Clueless' as our manager.

There have been time without number this season were we have thrown points away due to his team selections, tactics and substitutions and his glaring omission to cover for Holden in the transfer windows.

We probably expected relegation (or to survive by the skin of our teeth) the last times we went down (and I can remember the 63/64 season), we should not have gone down this season - our home record was the worst in the clubs entire history!

10How Does This Relegation Compare? Empty Re: How Does This Relegation Compare? Tue May 15 2012, 18:34

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

First time in '88 - I was too young to really understand why it was so bad and I'd only just become a Wanderer so it didn't affect me but I remember all these grown men around me being hurt, which was a strange thing for a kid to witness.

Second time in '96 - I was sure we were going down the moment Bruce walked out on us. It was painful to see. I was angry at Stubbs, very angry, but that's it.

Third time in '98 - I was absolutely gutted, I thought our first XI was good enough, and felt cheated that Everton survived at our expense due to Gerry Taggart's disallowed goal that was over the line in the first game at the Reebok.

This time - I don't think it has totally sunk in. I think this season has been a horrible experience and I was more keen for it to just end one way or another, which it has. I just think, looking at the Stoke goals, it was our turn to go down, it was fated. I believe a club operating on our budget would inevitably be relegated sooner or later. If not this season, then maybe the season after, or the one after that. But when the money dried up after Megson left it was an ongoing reality for me.

11How Does This Relegation Compare? Empty Re: How Does This Relegation Compare? Tue May 15 2012, 20:25

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

CEF wrote:

I was a lot younger for the fourth top-flight relegation in my lifetime (1979-1980).

Remember it well, CEF. It's never easy to stomach. Back then football wasn't just a business but we had enough quality players to keep us up. It all went to ratshit after the 79/80 relegation.

12How Does This Relegation Compare? Empty Re: How Does This Relegation Compare? Tue May 15 2012, 23:30

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

In 96 it seemed inevitable, we were out of our depth so I was resigned to it.

In 98 I felt exactly the same as Largehat - cheated.

This time frustrated and angry because it could and should have been avoided and I do blame Coyle.

13How Does This Relegation Compare? Empty Re: How Does This Relegation Compare? Tue May 15 2012, 23:40

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Pissed off because it was totally avoidable. Two cretins responsable coyle and PG.

14How Does This Relegation Compare? Empty Re: How Does This Relegation Compare? Wed May 16 2012, 11:51

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

98 was a bummer because of the goal against Everton which effectively relegated us in the basis of one bad refereeing decision. Even though we were a shit team that year.
This year was no different inasmuch that we drew a match in contraversial circumstances when a win would have kept us up - but somehow it felt different and I think that's because we half expected the luck to go against us.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum