Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Neil Lennon wants to run the rule over returning defender Alex Baptiste

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers are ready to disappoint rivals Blackburn by making Alex Baptiste report back for pre-season training this summer.

Rovers boss Gary Bowyer had hoped to agree a deal with the Whites to keep hold of the versatile defender, who proved a big hit at Ewood Park this season.

Baptiste has one year left on his contract with the Whites but has hinted on several occasions during his loan spell he would prefer to stay put down the road.

However, Neil Lennon refuses to write off the money invested in the 29-year-old, who was signed on a free transfer from Blackpool in May 2013 by his predecessor Dougie Freedman.

“I haven't had chance to work with Alex yet,” he told The Bolton News. “He certainly will be here pre-season because he is our player.

“I want to have a good look at him because I have been impressed with what I've seen of him when I’ve watched Blackburn play this season. I think he could do a job for us but we won’t really know until we take a closer look.”

Bowyer said earlier this month that he would “love to keep” Baptiste but has his hands tied to an extent with the club currently under a transfer embargo.

Under FFP regulations he would be allowed to return to Blackburn on the same deal because he was already in the squad when the punishments were enforced.

But Lennon has the final say and after confirming he will conduct a thorough review of his defence in the summer, Baptiste could prove to be a cheap alternative to a new signing.

The fact Baptiste can play either full-back or centre-half could work in his favour as Lennon looks for more variation on the 3-5-2 system he has used extensively since the turn of the New Year.

“Whether Baptiste is a right back or centre-half, it doesn't really matter,” he said. “We will bring him in and have a look at him before we make a decision.

“I do need options. We have been playing a back three because we haven’t had a bona fide right-back for the majority of the season. It is unfair to keep asking Josh Vela to play in that position. He is a far better midfield player.

“I don’t want to be in that position again next season.”

Source

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I think this could be a very good move by Neil. I rate Baptiste and he's not yet had a chance to work with the new regime after Dougie alienated him and farmed him down the road. A clean slate for both sides could be just what's needed to get the best out of him.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Headless chicken.

Baptiste gave away more penalties in the 2013/14 season than the whole of the squad combined in 2014/15.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

I can feel the whole defensive position argument coming on again.

I was never his biggest fan but it can't hurt to give him another shot. If he's shit like he used to be Blackburn will probably take him back.

Could be a ploy from Lennon, if we're happy to keep him it increases what Blackburn would have to pay for him. Assuming their embargoes over?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:
I was never his biggest fan but it can't hurt to give him another shot.

It can hurt big time.

Right now Blackburn will sign him up for the last year of his contract and pay his fat wages (I've read as much as £25k per week!) So that's him gone and off our books for good. If we keep him we're stuck with him whether he's good enough or not.

Imagine who we could sign for £25k per week.

And the thing is, he's played for us before. We know he's shite. People say he was played out of position, and that is true, but even at right back he showed no qualities whatsoever that would make me think he would be a solid centre half.

If I was having a kick around with my ex-model friends in the park and Baptiste walked past and asked to join in we'd let him, but he'd probably be asked to play upfront. Surely playing out of position he'd still show touches of quality that made him a professional player in the first place?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum