Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Craig Morgan insists: 'I'm not greedy' after turning back on Bolton

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Craig Morgan insists the decision to turn his back on Wanderers and drop a division to sign for Wigan Athletic was not financially motivated.

The ex-Rotherham United defender dropped a bombshell last week when he agreed a two-year deal with the Latics, just 24 hours after speaking with Bolton.

Neil Lennon had been tracking the former Wales international for months and while the club have refrained from comment, the Northern Irishman is said to be furious that the signing was not completed.

But while Morgan has been accused by many scorned Wanderers fans of following money to Wigan – he has attempted to put the record straight.

“I have signed for Wigan Athletic for no more than I was offered by Rotherham and another club in the Championship,” he said in the Sheffield Star.

“All three offers were about the same. Leaving is purely a football decision. It’s not about greed.”

Lennon released Matt Mills this summer, leaving only three senior centre-halves in the squad as cover in David Wheater, Tim Ream and Dorian Dervite.

Quade Taylor and Oscar Threlkeld are more youthful options but the Whites boss wants at least one experienced man on board before the start of the season to ensure he is not left short.

Weekend reports linked him with a loan move for Leicester City’s Liam Moore – currently being monitored by a string of Championship clubs, including Leeds United.

Lennon’s own links with the Midlands club, along with those of chief scout Jim Melrose, could count in his favour if the Foxes allow the young defender out.

The England Under-21 international, who is currently away at the European Championships in the Czech Republic, wants to concentrate on an international summer before speaking with his club.

“My aim, since the season finished, has been to focus 100 per cent on these Euros,” he said. “I really want to play my part. Then I will assess the situation. It will be something I speak to the management at Leicester about – what is best for me.

“I am a player who needs to be playing. I know it sounds silly, but for me to get to the point I want to be in my career, it has to be playing regularly just to get that experience.

“The Championship is a really good standard and it is something that is in the back of my mind.

“You can only learn so much on the training pitch. I am eager to learn so if that means more game-time in the Championship, then so be it.”

Source

He's probably telling the truth, guarantee he's got a very tasty promotion bonus though. Friend of mine got £70k for getting promoted from League 1.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It is a worry when players are citing "footballing reasons" for not signing for us. If Wigan are seen as a better prospect then maybe the word on the street is that we're a liability.

Wrighty92

David Ngog
David Ngog

wanderlust wrote:It is a worry when players are citing "footballing reasons" for not signing for us. If Wigan are seen as a better prospect then maybe the word on the street is that we're a liability.

He's hardly going to admit that he went for the money... Wigan still have parachute payments so I'm not surprised they can offer a player nearing the end of his career more than we can

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Maybe he is just "Thick"    one never knows about these things.

In theory we could be a promotion chasing side and if we were to get up he would be in the Prem...so now he drops a division and will be happy with the same money.  Doesn't make sense to me.

Even as it stands today we will pull bigger crowds , more exposure, TV highlights etc. than Wigan will now...so where is this lads ambition?

terenceanne wrote:In theory we could be a promotion chasing side and if we were to get up he would be in the Prem...so now he drops a division and will be happy with the same money.  Doesn't make sense to me.

Think you may be the thick one with comments like that Terence!

bwfc1874 wrote:
terenceanne wrote:In theory we could be a promotion chasing side and if we were to get up he would be in the Prem...so now he drops a division and will be happy with the same money.  Doesn't make sense to me.

i'm with TA, he has missed out on playing prem footy next year the money grabbing tossbag

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

bwfc1874 wrote:

Thank you for more of your footballing insights 1874 .... meanwhile I would suggest that you are just a tad thicker...apparently you are suggesting he is better off at Wigan.  scratch

terenceanne wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:

Thank you for more of your footballing insights 1874 .... meanwhile I would suggest that you are just a tad thicker...apparently you are suggesting he is better off at Wigan.  scratch
74 has a friend who played in league 1 and got a 70k bonus for getting promoted.

Morgan's also missed the inevitable cup run, got to fancy us to win the championship and the FA cup so in fairness Morgan's passed up on Europe and the Prem!

Money grabbing shit.

bwfc1874 wrote:Morgan's also missed the inevitable cup run, got to fancy us to win the championship and the FA cup so in fairness Morgan's passed up on Europe and the Prem!

Money grabbing shit.
Glad to see your finally talkin sense 74 Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum