Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

should you let your children smoke?

+4
boltonbonce
scottjames30
rammywhite
Norpig
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1should you let your children smoke? Empty should you let your children smoke? Fri Sep 25 2015, 11:27

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I saw a story on the BN website and then again today in the Metro about this. A 14 year old boy was sent home from Kearsley Academy because he had an e-cigarette.

He apparently already smokes 10 cigarettes a day and his Mum is blaming it on everyone else other than her self and insists he should be allowed to use his e-cig at school.

I've always been anti-smoking as both my parents are heavy smokers but if my child came home stinking of smoke i would make sure i did something about it and put a stop to it

What does everyone else think? I know dealing with teenagers is hard work but his Mum must surely take the blame for letting him get away with smoking for so long?

As an ex smoker and vaper myself i would be gutted if my kids ever did.  i have seen what it can do first hand through various family members and i'd do everything i can to make sure they didn't.  Saying that, my mum probably wanted the same for me, and i know that kids will be kids, but to publicly encourage it like this bint is clearly doing is just shocking.

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I smoked from age 15 to 28 -and have now gone 30 years  without a smoke. As an ex-smoker (we're never a non-smoker) I can sympathise with those who need a blast of nicotine on a regular basis. But like others I've see the damage that smoking does. It shortens lives ,and even if you get to a good age, smoking retards recovery from illness.
My brothers all smoked (all of us have stopped) as it was the done thing when we were kids but none of our kids smoke  and I'd be livid if they ever did.
So- the answer to the question is that kids shouldn't be able to smoke. And as for that mother who thinks its OK - she should be have the police knocking on her door for being such an idiot

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

How are you ever going to stop a teenager from smoking?

It's impossible.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

it's not impossible you have to discipline them, it's not going to be easy or fun but that's what being a parent is about surely? If either of my two start smoking they are grounded forever  Very Happy

Norpig wrote:it's not impossible you have to discipline them, it's not going to be easy or fun but that's what being a parent is about surely? If either of my two start smoking they are grounded forever  Very Happy
:agree:

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:it's not impossible you have to discipline them, it's not going to be easy or fun but that's what being a parent is about surely? If either of my two start smoking they are grounded forever  Very Happy
They can do what they want at school or out at night.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Scott you have a child don't you? Would you be happy if they started smoking? Surely you would want them to stop?

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Encourage them to smoke pipes.
Within weeks they'll be hanging about on street corners talking about rhubarb growing.

10should you let your children smoke? Empty Re: should you let your children smoke? Fri Sep 25 2015, 14:35

boltonbonce wrote:Encourage them to smoke pipes.
Within weeks they'll be hanging about on street corners talking about rhubarb growing.

Wearing corduroy, listening to Jazz and quoting Kerouac.

11should you let your children smoke? Empty Re: should you let your children smoke? Fri Sep 25 2015, 14:37

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:Encourage them to smoke pipes.

Wearing corduroy, listening to Jazz and quoting Kerouac.
What a beautiful thought.
should you let your children smoke? 20060408233101_boy-with-pipe0002

12should you let your children smoke? Empty Re: should you let your children smoke? Fri Sep 25 2015, 14:42

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Scott you have a child don't you? Would you be happy if they started smoking? Surely you would want them to stop?
Of course, but try telling a teenager.

13should you let your children smoke? Empty Re: should you let your children smoke? Fri Sep 25 2015, 17:59

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Education about smoking has improved greatly over the last twenty five. Fewer and fewer teenagers take up the habit these days and quite rightly so. I'm going to give Stoptober a go myself.

14should you let your children smoke? Empty Re: should you let your children smoke? Fri Sep 25 2015, 18:20

Reebok Trotter wrote:Education about smoking has improved greatly over the last twenty five. Fewer and fewer teenagers take up the habit these days and quite rightly so. I'm going to give Stoptober a go myself.

Good luck rt. I'll be routing for you. Set up a just giving page to give you encouragement. I'll give you a fiver for charity

15should you let your children smoke? Empty Re: should you let your children smoke? Fri Sep 25 2015, 18:56

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Johnny, I gave up alcohol on the 1st September ( Stoptember ) to give me time to prepare for Stoptober. I find the time I like a fag the most is when I'm having a drink. Thanks for your generous offer but I don't want to put any undue pressure on myself. I have been smoking since I was seventeen so it's time to call it a day. I have bought a book by Alan Carr ( who died of lung cancer ) which is supposed to be good reading if you really want to quit. I'll keep you posted.

16should you let your children smoke? Empty Re: should you let your children smoke? Fri Sep 25 2015, 19:00

Reebok Trotter wrote:Johnny, I gave up alcohol on the 1st September ( Stoptember ) to give me time to prepare for Stoptober. I find the time I like a fag the most is when I'm having a drink. Thanks for your generous offer but I don't want to put any undue pressure on myself. I have been smoking since I was seventeen so it's time to call it a day. I have bought a book by Alan Carr ( who died of lung cancer ) which is supposed to be good reading if you really want to quit. I'll keep you posted.  

I read that book myself rt. It worked for a while but the best thing was ecigs. Works a treat. Just seen a stoptober ad and they are even saying to use them.

17should you let your children smoke? Empty Re: should you let your children smoke? Fri Sep 25 2015, 19:20

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If push comes to shove I might try the ecigs but I'd rather go Turkey so that i don't get addicted to ecigs. A mate of mine gave up smoking by sticking patches on his arm. He managed a month and thought he had cracked and then starting smoking again. He wasn't smoking as many but he was still wearing the patches! Shocked

18should you let your children smoke? Empty Re: should you let your children smoke? Fri Sep 25 2015, 19:28

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

You can go on and on about lung cancer without much reaction from teenage boys who see it as something which might possibly affect them many years into the future........but if you correctly inform them that cigarettes stunt penile growth, the litter bins immediately become overflowing with half-empty packets of fags! Tell your son(s) and watch the horrified reaction first-hand!!

19should you let your children smoke? Empty Re: should you let your children smoke? Fri Sep 25 2015, 19:31

Reebok Trotter wrote:If push comes to shove I might try the ecigs but I'd rather go Turkey so that i don't get addicted to ecigs. A mate of mine gave up smoking by sticking patches on his arm. He managed a month and thought he had cracked and then starting smoking again. He wasn't smoking as many but he was still wearing the patches! Shocked

The ecigs still give you the sensation of smoking and also the "hit" at the back of your throat *insert deep throat gag here*

But.......because you cant gauge when youve had the equivalent of a cig you just keep puffing away. I think they may well be more addictive. But 95% safer by the latest studies.

20should you let your children smoke? Empty Re: should you let your children smoke? Fri Sep 25 2015, 19:32

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My son doesn't smoke and nor do any of his mates. They see it as a disgusting habit because it was drummed into them at school. When I was a teenager everybody seemed to smoke. My dad used to send me to the corner shop to get him 10 Park Drive. He gave up smoking in his seventies but died of lung cancer just short of his 82nd birthday. My mother will be 80 next year and has never smoked. I can't help thinking if he hadn't smoked he would still be around today to keep her company in her twilight years.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum