Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should Prisoners Be Allowed To Smoke In Prison?

+6
gloswhite
scottjames30
Hipster_Nebula
Michael Bolton
Angry Dad
Soul Kitchen
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Apparently there is to be a trial in one prison whereby smoking will be banned according to the news I heard on the radio whilst driving yesterday.
If successful this will be extended throughout the country.
One ex inmate said there'll be riots if they bring this in.
FFS where is the line to be drawn? He was moaning that the price of tobacco had gone up in prison, there you go then, money saved!!

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

It will never work

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I think prison should be made as horrible as possible for prisoners, like just the most shittest experience ever so that it makes offenders so against wanting to go back.
Whenever I see a jail on the news, they are all playing pool and sitting around having a great time. It looks like Porridge. We need to do what the Russian's do and make prison just awful.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I agree entirely with what you say Mike, what's the saying, if you can't do the time don't do the crime?
That's sums it up exactly.
AD is right though, it will never work. Send the army in and shoot a few, that'll work, but it's not PC!!

Last edited by Soul Kitchen on Sat Sep 21 2013, 13:35; edited 1 time in total

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Yes i think the country could get behind the well thought out policy of "getting the army in and shooting a few"

You should stand on that as a local MP.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I'd get outvoted by the prison population!
They're more likely to vote for a namby pamby candidate. Know any?

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Dale Cregan is throwing a shitty now because he isn't allowed to smoke. It's been banned in Ashworth since 2008 and it's tough if you smoke, try a bit of cold turkey.
Ironically he was in Strangeways and went on hunger strike to get in Ashworth!!

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm surprised the human rights people are not in uproar .

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Two thoughts. Firstly its a government owned facility, and should follow all other government owned facilities, and ban smoking. Secondly, anyone should be allowed to do what they like in their own home, and no matter how we look at it, this is their 'home'. I doubt a straight ban will work, unless there are permitted smoking areas. Its not as though you can tell them to go outside if they want a smoke.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Why should prisoners be allowed to smoke in an enclosed space. The rest of the country can't so why should they. It only needs one prison officer to go down with lung cancer from passive smoking a la Roy Castle and the compensation floodgates will open.

People are in prison as a punishment and allowing them to smoke is just an enforcement cop out.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Reebok Trotter wrote:Why should prisoners be allowed to smoke in an enclosed space. The rest of the country can't so why should they. It only needs one prison officer to go down with lung cancer from passive smoking a la Roy Castle and the compensation floodgates will open.

People are in prison as a punishment and allowing them to smoke is just an enforcement cop out.

:agree: 

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Soul Kitchen wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:Why should prisoners be allowed to smoke in an enclosed space. The rest of the country can't so why should they. It only needs one prison officer to go down with lung cancer from passive smoking a la Roy Castle and the compensation floodgates will open.

:agree: 
Totally agree! I wonder how much it costs the economy of keeping prisoners with a regular supply of cigarettes? 

I once heard that 95% of the prison population smoke, as this is a luxury inside.

It also costs over £40k a year to keep a prisoner in prison.

I say bollocks to them!

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If people like a cigarette then they shouldn't break the law. A smoking ban in prison could be one of the best ways of reducing crime ever invented.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Its not the law though, at the moment. When this law came in outside, people had the option of going outside , or to a designated area, (doesn't have to be an enclosed room). I don't smoke, and haven't done so for about 40 years, but I would imagine having a ban imposed on you  overnight is going to create a lot of problems in the prison community. (As it happens I think they should be banned, but there should be thngs in place to help them do it, and not expect them all to give up as though its the easiest thing in the world).

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Dont think it will work and dont it's worth the hassle.

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Its a tough one both ethically and practically. In my opinion the whole prison system needs a rethink, I wouldn't waste the resources trying to stop smoking, other things should be fixed.

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Biggie wrote:Its a tough one both ethically and practically. In my opinion the whole prison system needs a rethink, I wouldn't waste the resources trying to stop smoking, other things should be fixed.
Mixed prisons might be a step forward.

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Soul Kitchen wrote:Dale Cregan is throwing a shitty now because he isn't allowed to smoke. It's been banned in Ashworth since 2008 and it's tough if you smoke, try a bit of cold turkey.
Ironically he was in Strangeways and went on hunger strike to get in Ashworth!!
He should be allowed to smoke while he burns alive:evil:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum