Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

McGinlay backing Lennon to turn things around at Wanderers

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers need to batten down the hatches and back Neil Lennon if they want to survive a relegation battle this season.

That’s the view of club legend John McGinlay who reckons 21st spot would represent success for the Whites next May if the current financial situation does not rectify itself.

Lennon has come under heavy fire from sections of the club’s support in recent weeks after just one win in the opening 13 games.

But McGinlay has urged the club and its fans to stand by their manager, telling The Bolton News: “I know it’s easy to jump on the bandwagon and say it’s his fault, but I ask you, who could really do a better job?

“Neil Lennon will get through this, I’ve no doubt in my mind, and in the long term I even think it will do him good.

“It’s a horrible situation to be in but given what he has had to work with, I honestly think he’s doing the best job he can.”

Wanderers sit bottom of the table heading into this weekend’s local clash with Preston North End and could be cut adrift of safety if they fail to gain three points.

McGinlay believes the target for this season has already shifted to survival, given the lack of finances at Lennon’s disposal.

“If things changed overnight and he had money to spend in January, then maybe you’d look to get safe and then push on from there,” he said.

“But right now you’d have to say that avoiding relegation is the main concern.

“You look at clubs in and around us and they don’t look bad at all. Bristol City impressed me on the television the other night and most squads around us have got better depth.

“The club is currently shopping in markets that is hasn’t shopped in for a long time. It’s a real time of transition.

“Neil has to beg, steal and borrow to get people in. It’s one in, one out and there doesn’t look to be any immediate solution to that.”

Wanderers brought in untested Australian midfielder Luke Brattan on loan, although it is not clear at present whether he will be drafted immediately into Lennon’s first-team squad.

“Like a lot of signings, he’s a body, and considering we don’t seem to be paying a penny in wages I think it’s a decent deal,” added McGinlay.

“By all accounts he’s one of the better players from over in the A-League, so we don’t lose anything by taking a look.”

Source

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

The last two performances haven't been good enough, but they've not been bad either. We've basically lost four points because of two stuffy goals. We're no better or worse off than we were this time last season, except we've actually played OK in parts.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum