Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is sport worthwhile anymore?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Is sport worthwhile anymore? Empty Is sport worthwhile anymore? Mon 9 Nov - 22:34

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Athletics are in the shit today with confirmation that Russians have been cheating with the help of their state.

It also looks that Coe's predecessor has been mega corrupt as well.

FIFA and Blatter and Co have been up to no good for years and the shit has hit their fan in the last few months.

There's a legal case going on at the moment in cricket involving match fixing.  The man who founded the IPL was chucked out of his own creation for being corrupt.

We've had dodgy horse racing with owners, trainers and jockeys all being punished for fixing races.

We've had systemic drug cheating in cycling with the sports president colluding to hide positive drug tests on Armstrong.

We had 'deflategate' in American football last season.

The 'Messi' of Baseball, a bloke called Alex Rodriguez was banned for the whole of last season for taking performance enhancing drugs.  The player who holds the most coveted record in baseball (most home runs in a season) admitted taking performance enhancing drugs as well and will never be voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame because of hit.  The player who made more hits than any other player in the history of the game - Pete Rose - is even banned from being involved in the sport because he bet against his team winning - when he was the manager of it!

Boxing is littered with people taking a dive - Sonny Liston v Clay (Ali) from over 50 years ago is probably the classic of all boxing fixes.

I could go on but you get the picture.

I love playing sports and miss being to old do anything as strenuous as I used to do daily.  But even when I was playing I used to think the spirit of the game was more important than the result.

I've 'walked' at cricket when I knew I was out but the umpire didn't give it.  I've never claimed for free kicks or throw ins when I knew I wasn't entitled to them.  I've never called shots 'out' in games like badminton or tennis when I knew they weren't.

Have we lost the meaning of sport these days when winning by fair or foul means is more important than honesty and fair play?

Is being a winner more important in society these days than being honest and having integrity?

Seems like the 'honest' athletes, even as recently as the 2012 London Olympics have lost out to the cheats of this world (particularly the Russians!).

Has the world moved on and left me and my values behind?

Would you be prouder of your son if say he walked for a duck in his first test match or scored a ton?  Would a youngster these days even consider walking at all?

Is sport becoming a bad thing?

Is it now more about cheating to win than simply just taking part?

What do you think?

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think in sport you want to be the best that you can be, and when you've reached your peak science is the only way you can get better, cheating yes.
I watched an interview with Tyson Fury, on Klitschko being a different fighter in Germany than the USA, I knew what he was trying to say but you never know these days with so much of it going on.
Plus there is that much money pumped into sport these days there are going to be bent people trying to get some of it.

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Sluffy, although I'm sure you could have done, you didn't mention rugby union, snooker. swimming, motor sport...

Are there any sports free from cheating/drugs? 

Tennis seems to be shamed more by appalling behaviour than by drugs. Kyrgios is a disgrace.

I've not heard of incidents involving golf, rugby league, badminton, but it's easy to begin to become cynical about  the integrity of all competitive sport. You get the sense that the next scandal is only one imminent Panorama or Times investigation away.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum