Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

post 32 will Change your life...(page 2)

+5
scottjames30
BoltonTillIDie
Bwfc1958
karlypants
Bolton Nuts
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Bolton Nuts

Admin

So I changed from my trusty windows phone to a Samsung galaxy and it's annoying me. 

The windows phone got so many things right for every day use but lacked the release of the most up to date apps. I presumed that the android phone would have the best of the windows phone and more... but it doesn't. Yes it has the apps but other aspects seem like I have gone back in time.

Anyway, I guess it could just be that I am yet to get used to it or there are some things I am doing wrong... 

Can you help with the following?

Last edited by Biggie on Fri Dec 18 2015, 01:55; edited 4 times in total

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You haven't really mentioned the issues with Android and a little vague.

Is the home screen layout that you are finding a pain in the arse?

Can you be more specific? Smile

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Impossible to help if you don't state the problems, don't you think?

Bolton Nuts

Admin

When I click on contacts in my galaxy I have to manually type in the person I am looking for. A lost populatespopulates as I type but it's not very useful. For  example if I am looking for someone beginning with I on my windows I would press contacts, then the letter j. And straight away everyone starting with j is there. 

On this phone I have to press contacts,then click on search, then type john in full. Because as I type j and the list starts to populate it lists anyone with the letter j in their name above the people who star with j. 

So adam johnson, bsj, gopher john, David john all come above anyone called john. It's just annoying when I am accustomed to doing just two clicks to find a contact and very rarely having to type a name in...

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Maybe his phone is only allowing him to post very vague information. Pesky android phone!

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Biggie wrote:When I click on contacts in my galaxy I have to manually type in the person I am looking for. A lost populatespopulates as I type but it's not very useful. For  example if I am looking for someone beginning with I on my windows I would press contacts, then the letter j. And straight away everyone starting with j is there. 

On this phone I have to press contacts,then click on search, then type john in full. Because as I type j and the list starts to populate it lists anyone with the letter j in their name above the people who star with j. 

So adam johnson, bsj, gopher john, David john all come above anyone called john. It's just annoying when I am accustomed to doing just two clicks to find a contact and very rarely having to type a name in...
Can't you just scroll down the address book to find who you wish to phone and tap the person or do you have far too many numbers in there?

Bolton Nuts

Admin

The predictive text is rubbish.

As you can see above. I typed 'a list populates' but it changed it to a lost. Why is it correcting words that are not even wrong?

In the lumia it got used to me over time to the point where it knew what I was going to typ before I even typed it. All I really needed was the first letter of a word and sometimes not even that... 

Is that the same in android?

Bolton Nuts

Admin

karlypants wrote:
Biggie wrote:When I click on contacts in my galaxy I have to manually type in the person I am looking for. A lost populatespopulates as I type but it's not very useful. For  example if I am looking for someone beginning with I on my windows I would press contacts, then the letter j. And straight away everyone starting with j is there. 

Can't you just scroll down the address book to find who you wish to phone and tap the person or do you have far too many numbers in there?
Too many numbers. It would take even longer. I have about 50 entries just under H.

Bolton Nuts

Admin

As I type this is there a quick way to highlight and delete a full word without having to drag those little bar things? 

Again just above it changed bar to bad. So it said bar as I typed it and looked at it and as I pressed space it changed to bad. So I keep not noticing its corrections because my eyes have already moved on.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Was it really necessary to change from Windows to Android thinking about it?

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Could anyone recommend an easy way of organising the position of my apps on the home screen. And what exactly is a launcher?

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

With regards to the predictive text options that appear, if you go into settings somewhere in there you can have it suggest words but not change them.

It would be upto you to change them by tapping on the word.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

If you don't want it to automatically replace a word when you hit the space bar go to - settings > language and input > Samsung keyboard > auto replace. 

Switch it off and it won't automatically Change a word but you'll still have the options of different words to choose.

Bolton Nuts

Admin

karlypants wrote:Was it really necessary to change from Windows to Android thinking about it?
Well it's with pretty much everyone I speak to saying android is great and the fact that most of the app companies support it and windows can be a bit slow on the app stuff I presumed android was a safe bet. And I am sure it will be when I get used to it. 

However these are just a couple of things which are bugging me for now and I thought there might be some simple answers, like I hadn't spotted the way of searching a contact or something...

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Bwfc1958 wrote:If you don't want it to automatically replace a word when you hit the space bar go to - settings > language and input > Samsung keyboard > auto replace. 

Switch it off and it won't automatically Change a word but you'll still have the options of different words to choose.
Super,thanks you guys. 
And what about it knowing what to write. Will it just start doing that soon?

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

Biggie wrote:Could anyone recommend an easy way of organising the position of my apps on the home screen. And what exactly is a launcher?
The default launcher for the s6 is touchwiz. I have tried Nova launcher and Hola launcher which you can download from the playstore but I find they have a negative impact on battery life, but they do give more options for customisation, such as different icons and keyboards that you can't do with touchwiz.

Bolton Nuts

Admin

karlypants wrote:Was it really necessary to change from Windows to Android thinking about it?
Also yes. There are a couple of apps I needed for work which I have been having to do workarounds on windows by part doing it on my phone,then using a tablet to finish then sending back to my phone to use which was a pain basically coz windows didn't support the apps I need.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

With regards to the home screen layout etc, if you hold down on blank space for a couple of seconds it will give you some options to delete the shite on it such as if you have any of the widgets that come pre installed with the phone.

You can then delete the apps that you don't want on the screen also. You can add pages where you can add apps to them if you find it easy to sort them that way or simply deleting all pages and just having the home screen with some apps on that you use frequently.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Biggie wrote:
Also yes. There are a couple of apps I needed for work which I have been having to do workarounds on windows by part doing it on my phone,then using a tablet to finish then sending back to my phone to use which was a pain basically coz windows didn't support the apps I need.
Fair enough then.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You can also add apps into a folder by holding down on the app then dragging it on top of the other.

It works similar to that of the Iphones iOS

Last edited by karlypants on Tue Dec 15 2015, 00:28; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum