Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Walford hoping cup can provide Whites with some cheer

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Steve Walford hopes a little bit of cup magic can rub off on Wanderers’ season.

At stake in tonight’s replay against non-league Eastleigh is a fourth round clash against Leeds United at home, worth a potential £67,500 in prize money plus a guaranteed bumper travelling support.

Those kind of sums may have been sniffed at in the past – but in the current climate Walford admits the club need every penny they can get.

Likewise a home tie against a club 52 places below them in the league ladder may have been considered a ‘gimme’ but Walford is taking nothing for granted.

“We need the money,” said experienced assistant, in the hot-seat for Neil Lennon for FA Cup duties.

“But winning games becomes a habit, as does losing them. This is a good chance for us to step forward and get our season started. That’s the way I look at it.

“It’s a good chance to get into the next round and a home tie, then go even further in the competition.

“The opportunity to play against Leeds United at home is a good one, we can’t pass it up so we’ve got to tread very carefully.”

On that subject, he pitch at the Macron is bound to be firmer underfoot than it was nine days ago. Walford believes both teams will benefit as a result.

“We might be able to play some football now, but so will they,” said the Londoner. “No-one expects them to get through but they will expect it. I know they got knocked out of the trophy on Saturday, which was a blow to them because it’s a big competition for non-league sides.

“But they looked okay down there. Most of the clubs in the Conference are full-time now, so it’s very different nowadays.

“I remember finishing my career with Martin O’Neill at Wycombe and it was training two nights a week and then playing on a Saturday.

“I don’t think there’s any different between the Conference and the lower reaches of the Football League. The gap has disappeared. It’s just an extension now.”

The closest Walford has come to being on the receiving end of a cup upset was back in 1999 when Conference Hereford United ground out a 0-0 draw at Edgar Street against his Leicester City side.

Muzzy Izzet ended up rescuing the Foxes with a winner after Matt Elliott had headed them into extra time.

“It was a horrible game,” Walford said. “Very, very tough. And I don’t think this one will be any different.

“They were winning 1-0 at one point but we got through. We had a decent side and it was a struggle.

“Neil (Lennon) was there – I mentioned it to him the other day. He might have been injured because he said he didn’t play.”

Eastleigh have threatened to ban the BBC after they were shunned again for TV coverage, and though such drastic measures won’t be taken at Wanderers, Walford does have some sympathy.

“You would have thought they’d televise it. There is a chance of an upset.

“They have gone for Tottenham v Leicester and then Villa and Wycombe – there could be an upset there, I suppose.

“I can see how Eastleigh would be annoyed. They will be desperate to get through and play against Leeds United, same as us.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum