Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Whites hoping for for a kind of magic from the FA Cup

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The magic of the FA Cup has never dimmed for Steve Parkin, who hopes the competition can conjure up a turnaround in the their fortunes in the league.

head back to Ashton Gate for tonight’s fourth-round tie at a Bristol City side who ran out 2-1 winners when they met in the Championship a fortnight earlier.

And Phil Parkinson’s right-hand man knows all too well what a shot in the arm a successful cup run can give to a club’s campaign.

The pair steered Bradford to the 2013 League Cup final and the FA Cup quarter-finals two seasons later.

And though this evening’s match will be every bit as tough as a fortnight ago, the assistant manager is relishing the chance to progress to round five.

“There is no downside to having a cup run, none whatsoever,” said Parkin. “We had an incredible cup run when we were at Bradford, we had a lot of games to catch up on as well, but we ended up getting into the play-offs at the end of the season.

“It’s good for momentum, it’s good for morale and it’s good for confidence so let’s hope we can get a good result.

“I don’t know what the prize money is now but it wouldn’t do us any harm, there’s been an increase in the prize money this season so it wouldn’t do any harm to get through and get a nice big draw in the next round, everybody at the club would be delighted with something like that.”

Wanderers supporters are expecting some of the fringe players to get a run-out at Ashton Gate, with one eye on what is arguably a more important match, hosting relegation rivals Reading.

But, though the Championship takes precedence, Parkin insists no one at the club will look to tonight as merely a pressure-free run-out.

“I think in terms of us not playing for any points, you’ve got to put pressure on yourself to try to get a result that would bounce us into the game next week, and Reading is a big game,” he told The Bolton News.

“It’s always nice to stay in the cup, as far as I’m concerned I’ve been doing this for a long time now and there’s still a lovely feel to the FA Cup for me.

“I know the players enjoy it. There is a lot said these days that it’s a sideline and players get distracted and don’t want to play in it and so on but I don’t envisage that with our players at all, they all want to play.

“They’ve trained well this morning and we’re heading down to Bristol looking forward to the game.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum