Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Parkinson: Whites new boy Jamie can rediscover that magic touch

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Jamie Proctor has been challenged to make a name for himself all over again at Wanderers.

Nearly four years to the day since Brendan Rodgers took him to Swansea City from Preston North End to be a Premier League player, the Lancastrian striker is now starting afresh at the Macron Stadium.

Phil Parkinson believes his former Bradford City charge took time to adjust after his move to the Swans disintegrated and he found himself in the League One backwater of Crawley Town before a move to Fleetwood Town.

After re-establishing his credentials at Valley Parade, Proctor now arrives at Bolton looking to push on with a career which may have fallen by the wayside after his top-flight disappointment.

“I have known Procs (Proctor) for a while and when he left Swansea he drifted around for a little bit and he wasn’t quite sure what he would make of himself,” he told The Bolton News.

“When he was at Preston big things were expected of him and he got the move to the Premier League. But not long after that he find himself at Crawley playing in front of 2,500. It was a case of ‘where is my career going?’

“What I liked about Jamie is that he came into Bradford and relished playing in front of 18,000 every week.

“He did very, very well for us there and at the age of 24 there is a lot more to come from him. It’s up to him, me and my staff to get that out of him.”

Parkinson knows the need to bolster a Bolton strikeforce which looked painfully thin at times last season.

There will be no opportunity to make short-term loans this season with the Football League forced into a rule change, and the Wanderers boss believes Proctor’s versatility makes him an ideal signing.

“He’s a good all-round player,” he said. “He can hold the ball up, mobile enough, and I want him to play with a determination to make a name for himself with Bolton Wanderers.

“I looked at it last year and at times there was a shortage of front players – you had (Shola) Ameobi and (Emile) Heskey in here but there were times when there was a lack of options,” he explained.

“You have to make sure you are covered for injuries but also from the bench as well.

“It will be a different season this year because there are no emergency loans – so I want once that transfer window closes to feel strong.”

Parkinson was able to bring Proctor from his former club on a free transfer and believes he has completed a tidy bit of business for the 24-year-old.

“Half the division were trying to sign him but he was very, very keen to come to Bolton, which you would expect. It’s a big club,” he said.

“Last January MK Dons offered £100,000 for him when they were pushing to get out of this league but Fleetwood wouldn’t let it happen.

“He’s got a determination to show that he’s ready for this stage.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum