Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fast-acting Supporters' Trust has wasted no time in their bid to take over club

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

With one raise of a hand, around 1,000 people witnessed the birth of the Bolton Wanderers Supporters’ Trust – and yet strangely there are some who still doubt its existence.

Can a supposedly elected body exist without an election? Can the BWFCST claim to be operational without having a bank account to take money from its members? Well, the short answer is yes.

But the speed at which the Trust has pressed ahead with plans to take over the club has caught some by surprise, and lent an air of suspicion to what would ideally be a united front.

Once the Trust became a legal entity and registered it was bound by a set of model rules, which can be found in their 21-page document on the BWFCST website, or that of Supporters Direct.

Thankfully, the relevant bit is just three pages down. Under section five – intriguingly entitled “powers” – there is a wordy passage that essentially underlines the fact a Trust can pursue the ownership of a club, secure accountable representation on a board, or exert the “greatest possible influence” on governance and management simply by its very existence.

In the current climate mistrust is understandable. But as we know, with another High Court hearing just a couple of weeks away, time is of the essence.

Eddie Davies has clearly not had a bid to turn his head; that much is obvious. How long that continues rests in the hands of the two or three other parties, who have thus far failed to convince him they are the real deal.

The Trust can’t afford to hang around, so to coin a local phrase, they’ve put “dibs in” before really being set up to do so.

Individuals, businesses and organisations like the University of Bolton have pledged enough financial support to make them believe they have a shot at owning the club. It is an intriguing idea, and anyone who has studied the recent history of Scottish club Heart of Midlothian will tell you it is possible.

The anonymity of many of the funders is bound to cause a stir. The Trust has denied any links with the current board, and almost anyone who has poked their head above the parapet to speak on their behalf has withdrawn their name from any potential election – more’s the pity, in my own view.

Until we know exactly who is putting money in, the Orwellian references won’t disappear but to use another literary reference – Catch 22 – the Trust cannot expect to convince Eddie Davies to give them preferred bidder status until they have a valid bid.

Back when Davies took a majority shareholding in 2003, effectively rendering a lot of fans’ investments worthless, there was a clear line of guidance from within the club that his investment was the only option and that the local-lad-made-good must be voted in at the AGM.

Wanderers’ input in this takeover has been rather more passive. The club has made no secret of its dialogue with the Trust, in fact quite the contrary. But despite the idea of having support at board level there is a reluctance to pin their colours to the mast in public.

Whether Davies agrees that they are the way forward is the million dollar question, or perhaps more accurately £185million.

In making a public play to be named preferred bidder the Trust has changed the landscape in this takeover. Their statement flushed out another long-time watcher in Roger Tamraz, who made his own set of public declarations but has done little since, and it also coincided with Sports Shield – long-time frontrunners in all this – taking a step back to think.

The owner’s thoughts are another unknown. Many fans feel Davies has lost the right to have his own feelings taken into consideration in all this – and there is no question his PR has been a disaster. It is worth noting, however, that this situation could get worse for Wanderers and as Portsmouth and Leeds United could probably tell you, there is nothing worse than an owner scorned.

Fans don’t want to be told what to think but they do want information on all the available options. I’m encouraged to see the trust is tackling individual concerns – and I am told that one of the founder registrars, Ian Bridge, is more than willing to take questions on his own email at ian@BWFCST.co.uk. I don’t think you can ask for much fairer than that.

Source

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Iles has been reading Nuts!

wanderlust wrote:Iles has been reading Nuts!

Or it could just be that several of us have been posting the same stuff on the BN site that we post on here.

Minus the swearing.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Breadman wrote:
wanderlust wrote:Iles has been reading Nuts!

Or it could just be that several of us have been posting the same stuff on the BN site that we post on here.

Minus the swearing.

I've already posted this on the ST thread on the 'Bolton Banter' part of the thread but I will also put in up here to for all to read (and hopefully take up the offer).

Sluffy wrote:Marc Iles reads here as do members of the ST's Steering Group too.

I guess we might not be too popular with some of them but if they practiced what they preached and did things in the open and in full transparency then they would not be raising all the suspicions, doubts and (unanswered) questions as to what their true agenda is.

We would happily offer Nuts as a platform for the ST and / or Iles to use as a means of a way to hold daily ongoing dialogue with all BWFC fans and supporters free from any hidden agendas or point scoring from either side of the ST fence.

You have my word that it would be hosted impartially - and as a site run by fans, for the fans - with no outside influences on us (we don't run the site for profit or kudos) a fair and even handed dialogue of Q and A's can be obtained with no accusations of avoiding (and deleting) questions the ST seemingly do not want to address on their own media - and which simply will not go away until they are openly addressed.

If the ST and / or Marc have nothing to hide and do have the balls to do this then please pm (personal message) me and we will establish a way to do this so you don't feel as though you may be walking into some sort of trap.

The ball is in your court.

I really and truly hope you take us up on the offer particularly as the only thing we all do want is the best for the club!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum