Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pie Eaters Revival - Can we do the same?

+4
Sluffy
FullofSprite
Boggersbelief
NickFazer
8 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Just watched our nearest and dearest demolish Swindon Town 4-1 away from home. They look a decent young team and hungry for promotion, I haven't seen a lot of Swindon so the opposition may not have been the best but it was an impressive away win.

Will it be beyond us to do similar next season?

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

we have been shite this season but Wigan were even worse last season, they went down with a terrible squad and even took a few of our cast offs on their way.. Can't say i keep an eye on them but I can't imagine they spent a lot in the summer and they are still flying high in that league.

Few shrewd signings from Phil Brown and we'll go unbeaten in league one

FullofSprite

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Boggersbelief wrote:we have been shite this season but Wigan were even worse last season, they went down with a terrible squad and even took a few of our cast offs on their way.. Can't say i keep an eye on them but I can't imagine they spent a lot in the summer and they are still flying high in that league.

Only we've no money for a "few shrewd signings". SS have barely enough to get past July according to some people - we're flying by the seat of our pants

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

FullofSprite wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:we have been shite this season but Wigan were even worse last season, they went down with a terrible squad and even took a few of our cast offs on their way.. Can't say i keep an eye on them but I can't imagine they spent a lot in the summer and they are still flying high in that league.

Only we've no money for a "few shrewd signings". SS have barely enough to get past July according to some people - we're flying by the seat of our pants

Have you seen the accounts?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Boggersbelief wrote:
FullofSprite wrote:

Have you seen the accounts?

If it helps, it is in the public domain that a charge was registered on the 10th March (the day of the takeover) against ALL freehold and leasehold properties of -

Burnden Leisure Ltd,
Bolton Wanderers Football and Athletic Company Limited (The),
Bolton Whites Hotel Limited,
Bolton Sports Village Limited,

and all leasehold land (as specified) of

Bolton Sporting Ventures Limited,

and redeemable to Blumarble Capital Limited.

I really don't think Holdsworth and Anderson will be splashing the money anytime soon unless some of the big wages that we carry into next season can be ditched before then.

But then again I still have no idea why they wanted the club so badly in the first place so maybe they have a plan that gives them an alternative revenue stream that no one else has thought about?

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I'm half expecting to see "Bolton Wanderers Cheesecake" next time I go around Tesco along with products like "Madine Mash", "Amos Pasta" (everything gets past him so why not), "Spearing Celery" (he's about as effective as a stick of it when it's wet), "Wheater Biccies" (just couldn't resist) and other fine BWFC related foodstuffs such as "sluffy sauce", "Boggers Rolls", "Breadman Barms" and the excellent "luckypiper's premium pipe tobacco" as SS and Inner Circle explore "exciting new marketing opportunities". 

I'm just feeling whimsical today. Maybe because we don't have a game and so can't ruin my weekend by losing yet again.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

People seem to think we can just get rid of the high earners and rely on the youth to at least steady the ship for a while.

But what if the youth are no good? There's no saying - don't care how they're doing in the under 21s league or whatever it is - that they could hold their own in the Conference, let alone League One.

So really there's no limit to how bad things could get for us next season.

Unless we sign a good nine or ten reasonably capable League One players, the likelihood of which remains to be seen.

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

From what I have seen it seems that the development and under 21 squads competition doesn't prepare players for the 1st team. Promoting the youth en masse isn't a feasible strategy, more likely that the Threlkeld, White, Wilkinson and others that have some good experience of 1st team football can step up.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

The problems are just so numerous that it's hard to see a way out of them. Added to that it's difficult, well nigh impossible to see why SS and Inner Circle have bought the club or how they hope to even balance the books much less make any profit from it without selling assets such as the Hotel. 

It's going to be at least two years before the bigger contracts end and the attendant bills such as tax etc start to come down to a level commensurate with our league position. Sadly I believe that any player who has a transfer value (eg Clough) will likely be sold to fund the high wages of players who won't move because they know they can't get wages like the current ones anywhere else. SS and Inner Circle may know something we all don't, right now I'm almost praying that's the case because from the outside it looks bleak still. Maybe not as bleak as a month ago but the light at the end of the tunnel still looks like an oncoming express train and not the sun to me.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The key date for me is summer 2017 because that's when most of the high earners' fat contracts expire. If we have managed to negotiate a season in League 1 - and theoretically with Spearing, Mavies and the like on board we should be able to mount a challenge at promotion - and if we haven't gone bankrupt having had to pay £7 million or more in wages whilst in League 1 - the worst of it will be over.
Only Clough and Amos out of the current lot will still have big fat contracts beyond summer 2017 - although if Holding and Woolery are to be tempted back they could reasonably expect longer contracts too.

At that point in time we are very likely to be close to bankruptcy but we will at least be able to start rebuilding. But with no money to invest it will be difficult.

CAMPO

CAMPO
Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

18 match unbeaten run, beat Rochdale today, got 6 exBWFC players in squad, a mixture of youth and experience, ex player for manager, got some loan players from Prem, it's not rocket science but can we do the same?

They've thrown a ton of money at getting back up, the wages they're offering are madness for league 1 - fair play it looks like it will work.

So no we can't.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:They've thrown a ton of money at getting back up, the wages they're offering are madness for league 1 - fair play it looks like it will work.

So no we can't.
But we'll be paying 3 or 4 times the wages in League 1 than Wigan currently do so if high wages are indeed the way to achieve promotion back to the Championship we've got it in the bag. Can't see next years wage bill dropping below the £7.5 million mark even with the 5 seniors and bunch of youngsters leaving at the end of the season - we'll still have a teamful of high earners on Premiership wages but playing in L1.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:They've thrown a ton of money at getting back up, the wages they're offering are madness for league 1 - fair play it looks like it will work.

So no we can't.
But we'll be paying 3 or 4 times the wages in League 1 than Wigan currently do so if high wages are indeed the way to achieve promotion back to the Championship we've got it in the bag. Can't see next years wage bill dropping below the £7.5 million mark even with the 5 seniors and bunch of youngsters leaving at the end of the season - we'll still have a teamful of high earners on Premiership wages but playing in L1.

Wigan funded their promotion bid from their last parachute payment, we will still need to clear out players halfway throughout the whole of next season in the January transfer window and the loan window either side of January.

We have no chance of funding a way out of that division in the same manner as Wigan are doing.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

So no we can't.

Wigan funded their promotion bid from their last parachute payment, we will still need to clear out players halfway throughout the whole of next season in the January transfer window and the loan window either side of January.

We have no chance of funding a way out of that division in the same manner as Wigan are doing.
Not sure if we are talking a cross purposes or it's a semantics issue, but I think the point is that it's unlikely any club will pick up the contracts of our high earners so we are stuck with most of them.
Therefore our wage bill will be at least £7.5 million - many times that of the average L1 club.
Where we get the money to pay those wages from is another issue (more loans presumably) but our players wages next season will cost the club more than Wigan have paid their players this season.

I suppose the club could sweeten  a few deals by offering to pay part of a loanees wages so we might get rid of Spearing on loan until his contract is up by offering him for say £10k a week and BWFC still pay the other £7k a week (effectively for nothing) Do the same for the other 10 or so high earners still in contract and we might just survive.
On balance it would be good for BWFC if we get rid of the first team out on subsidised loans even though we'd struggle throughout 2016/17 because at least then Deano wouldn't have to find the full £7.5 million.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum