Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

David Beckham SNUBBED for Olympic team?!

+6
Copper Dragon
Reebok Trotter
Michael Bolton
Natasha Whittam
largehat
Hipster_Nebula
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Surprising and quite honestly, a bit stupid IMO.

He's instead decided to go with Micah Richards, Ryan Giggs and Craig Bellamy.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Why do you feel it is a bit stupid?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'd like to see Beckham out there personally, i think offers certainly as much as Giggs if not more and being an ambassador for the games it's a PR opportunity not to be missed.

I appreciate they need to get some Welsh, Irish etc in there but it'll be a shame not see him get a kick.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

He's the one who decided to go and play in a substandard league for financial and lifestyle purposes.

Personally I'm glad Stuart Pearce has not been swayed by all the Eatablishment brown-nosing Beckham does.

What coach would want his campaign disrupted by a one man circus like that any way? Stuart Pearce is a winner. He wants to win.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Hipster_Nebula wrote:
I appreciate they need to get some Welsh, Irish etc in there but it'll be a shame not see him get a kick.

No part of Ireland is part of Great Britain. Ireland haven't entered a team either.

There are 16 teams in the competition:

Group A: Great Britain, Senegal, UAE, Uruguay
Group B: Mexico, South Korea, Gabon, Switzerland
Group C: Brazil, Egypt, Belarus, New Zealand
Group D: Spain, Japan, Honduras, Morocco

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ah thanks for the info.

Honestly i don't pay much mind to the Olympic football. The standard isn't great for obvious reasons it's more about the occasion for me, hence why i'd like to see Beckham on the pitch.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Ah thanks for the info.

Why do you let Largehat mock you?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Well he corrected my mistake, if he just went in on me and insulted me i would mention it.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Well he corrected my mistake, if he just went in on me and insulted me i would mention it.

If you don't mind him condescending you then fair enough.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

even if he meant to i didn't feel condescended on that occasion.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:even if he meant to i didn't feel condescended on that occasion.

Ok, but if you change your mind PM me. He's riding to Burnley on my boat and I'm happy to poison him for you.

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

largehat wrote:
What coach would want his campaign disrupted by a one man circus like that any way? Stuart Pearce is a winner. He wants to win.

What exactly did Stuart Pearce win?

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Michael Bolton wrote:
largehat wrote:

What exactly did Stuart Pearce win?

League Cup. Full Members Cup. Intertoto Cup.

I was talking about his mentality rather than his medal collection. He never played for a big club.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote: He never played for a big club.

Forest were a big club from about 1975 onwards under Cloughy. Two European Cups is testimony to that. When Pearce joined Forest in 82 their star was on the wane.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Reebok Trotter wrote:

Forest were a big club from about 1975 onwards under Cloughy. Two European Cups is testimony to that. When Pearce joined Forest in 82 their star was on the wane.

I agree, and Pearce was the finest fullback in England throughout the 80s, he just never moved to a club that was in for the major honours at the time.

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

"and Pearce was the finest fullback in England throughout the 80s"

I believe that you've either got the decade wrong or that you're too young to know what you are talking about.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Copper Dragon wrote:"and Pearce was the finest fullback in England throughout the 80s"

I believe that you've either got the decade wrong or that you're too young to know what you are talking about.

Relax, gramps. I typed '80s' instead of '90s'. Happy to correct it.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Olympic football is a one-off showcase event which can hardly be described as a serious competition given the absentees. Beckham was a key figure in securing the Olympics for Britain and he can still play a bit so I don't see any harm in rewarding him with a place in the squad in recognition of the work he's done for the Olympic committee. It would have been a nice gesture, even if he didn't actually get a game. But as is so often the case, the bickering backbiters get their way.

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Very glad that Beckham will not be in the team.

Firstly, he is not good enough. Someone said he has as much to offer as Giggs. A ridiculous statement if ever there was one. He has never been anywhere near Giggs and has been away from the action for at least five years.

Secondly, the hype that surrounds him (and his pouting wife) would be a major distraction. The 'tabs' would follow his every move, from when he walked into the arena at the opening ceremony, grinning and waving at the crowd, photos of him sat on the bench (where he would have spent most of his time) and the standing ovation he would have got when he came on for the last 10 mins.

This man has had more than enough attention in his life, let someone else have a look-in. Stuart Pearce has zoomed in my estimation, I thought he would buckle under Coes' demand that Beckham be included. I will follow the team with interest, something I could never have done with 'The World's Greatest Dad' playing.

PS. The idea that he influenced the committee is nonsense. Hopefully they are intelligent people and judge the bid on its merits.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:

Actually I was mistaken. Pearce didn't join Forest till 1985.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum