Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Where are the 'Swifts'.

+7
Reebok Trotter
Banks of the Croal
Sluffy
gloswhite
largehat
chipbutty
yesbutno
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Where are the 'Swifts'. Empty Where are the 'Swifts'. Sat Jun 30 2012, 19:45

yesbutno

yesbutno
Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

Every year I look forward to seeing the swifts in the sky. These birds fly every year to and from southern Africa and return to the UK to breed. Fantastic creatures doing what humans could never hope to do.

Last year I saw a few less than the year before and this year, none at all.

What's happening to our world?

2Where are the 'Swifts'. Empty Re: Where are the 'Swifts'. Sat Jun 30 2012, 20:16

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Yes But,

I share your feelings. We humans think we know it all yet by our stupid, must have all life style, we are putting nature at risk.

I haven't noticed any less Swifts flying this year but will look out for them.

Also, Bumble Bees. Where are they?

3Where are the 'Swifts'. Empty Re: Where are the 'Swifts'. Sat Jun 30 2012, 20:18

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Don't know about swifts or bees but I wish flies would do a disappearing act.

4Where are the 'Swifts'. Empty Re: Where are the 'Swifts'. Sat Jun 30 2012, 20:35

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

The Chinese had a national policy some years ago, whereby everyone had to kill at least one fly a day (may have been more than one fly). The problem soon showed itself when thousands of birds died of starvation,as a result fewer birds were born, and the lack of all the things birds do, began to impact on the enviroment. This went on for a few years, until they realised what was happening, and issued an edict not to kill them anymore.

5Where are the 'Swifts'. Empty Re: Where are the 'Swifts'. Sat Jun 30 2012, 20:50

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Not quite Glos - they did kill the flies but they also had to kill sparrows and when there were no more sparrows left the locusts population boomed and ate up all the grain in the fields!

D'oh!

See this link for the story -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Pests_Campaign

6Where are the 'Swifts'. Empty Re: Where are the 'Swifts'. Sat Jun 30 2012, 21:20

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Slightly ot, but i've never seen so many Snails in my garden, i keep removing them but there are just so many.

Anybody know if they're Edible? not that i'd eat the f,ckers.

7Where are the 'Swifts'. Empty Re: Where are the 'Swifts'. Sat Jun 30 2012, 23:22

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

They are edible, but make sure you have a decent sauce. Went to a village in Cyprus, after being on a hash, just after the first rain of the year, and we had ordinary snails. (they emerge immediately after it raines). They taqsted ok, but the Keo beer might have hleped a bit.

8Where are the 'Swifts'. Empty Re: Where are the 'Swifts'. Sat Jun 30 2012, 23:23

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Sluffy, thanks for the reminder, I seem to be having lots of senior moments lately scratch

9Where are the 'Swifts'. Empty Re: Where are the 'Swifts'. Sun Jul 01 2012, 16:19

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

chipbutty wrote:Yes But,

I have Bumble Bees nesting in a Blue Tit box in my garden for the first time this year.

10Where are the 'Swifts'. Empty Re: Where are the 'Swifts'. Sun Jul 01 2012, 16:34

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

I have actualy seen people kill bumble bees. 'Oh those nasty things get them away from me'.

Yes but, I've been looking for swifts and I'm sorry to report, I haven't seen any either. They should be here by now, not that many where I live but as I say not one this year.

I wonder if schools have lessons about the importance of wild life and respect for the creatures who share our world.

11Where are the 'Swifts'. Empty Re: Where are the 'Swifts'. Sun Jul 01 2012, 16:37

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Must admit I really do not like bugs, but I don't kill them, I just try to swaft them away, and if that doesn't work then get a container trap it and set it free outside, and that does include the spiders!

12Where are the 'Swifts'. Empty Re: Where are the 'Swifts'. Sun Jul 01 2012, 16:38

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bumble Bees are harmless non aggressive little creatures. I have handled them but never been stung or bitten.

13Where are the 'Swifts'. Empty Re: Where are the 'Swifts'. Sun Jul 01 2012, 17:08

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Were you wearing your yellow and black striped jumper at the time? Smile

14Where are the 'Swifts'. Empty Re: Where are the 'Swifts'. Sun Jul 01 2012, 17:14

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I am at one with nature. I have been stung by wasps a few times and they can be very aggressive but the sting isn't too painful.

Bee stings are the most painful because the bee empties its sac when it stings you, killing itself in the process.

We once had a bees nest under our eaves and I was happy to let them remain until the honey started staining our plaster board kitchen ceiling. I smoked them out one night and the next day I climbed into the roof space and removed a bucket load of honey. While I was up there in the confined space one of the bees came back and stung me in the neck. I couldn't get out from there quick enough.

15Where are the 'Swifts'. Empty Re: Where are the 'Swifts'. Sun Jul 01 2012, 17:19

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

When I lived in Staffordshire, we moved into a house where I couldn't understand where the bees were coming from. Finally found them going into holes in the ground ! Didn't know until then that they burrowed.

16Where are the 'Swifts'. Empty Re: Where are the 'Swifts'. Sun Jul 01 2012, 19:35

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

I always thought that wasps were of no use but then I heard on the radio that they eat green fly and other insects that attack plants and flowers. I do believe they won't sting unless they feel threatened.

17Where are the 'Swifts'. Empty Re: Where are the 'Swifts'. Sun Jul 01 2012, 19:40

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

chipbutty wrote:I always thought that wasps were of no use but then I heard on the radio that they eat green fly and other insects that attack plants and flowers. I do believe they won't sting unless they feel threatened.

Very true. They kill most common pests including caterpillars. They do a valuable job in maintaining the eco-system.

18Where are the 'Swifts'. Empty Re: Where are the 'Swifts'. Sun Jul 01 2012, 19:42

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

When I was about 7 or 8 I was playing football with my friends in the grounds of a big abandoned house. I kicked the ball into the bushes and had to wade in and fetch it. I disturbed a wasp's nest and got stung about 15 times on my arms and legs, and the older lad who came to my rescue got stung about 8 times as well.

I also had a fly land in my Sunday roast when I was about 12, in the gravy.

Some of you who follow my posts may remember my account of a doomed holiday in Zante in 2001, part of the nightmare was a mosquito experience.

So I have developed an irrational hatred of wasps, flies and mosquitoes over the years. They have ruined my life. Fuck the ecosystem.

19Where are the 'Swifts'. Empty Re: Where are the 'Swifts'. Sun Jul 01 2012, 19:56

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

chipbutty wrote:Yes But,

I share your feelings. We humans think we know it all yet by our stupid, must have all life style, we are putting nature at risk.

I haven't noticed any less Swifts flying this year but will look out for them.

I've got loads

20Where are the 'Swifts'. Empty Re: Where are the 'Swifts'. Sun Jul 01 2012, 20:43

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Fair few bumbling about my garden, but have to say, does seem a few less than usual.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum