Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Where are the 'Swifts'.

+7
Reebok Trotter
Banks of the Croal
Sluffy
gloswhite
largehat
chipbutty
yesbutno
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21Where are the 'Swifts'. - Page 2 Empty Re: Where are the 'Swifts'. Sun Jul 01 2012, 21:01

yesbutno

yesbutno
Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

It's good to hear the bees are doing OK, what about the swifts, anyone noticed a decline.

Oh, thanks for your post butty.

22Where are the 'Swifts'. - Page 2 Empty Re: Where are the 'Swifts'. Sun Jul 01 2012, 22:50

TheHateCamel

TheHateCamel
David Lee
David Lee

I've been working out in the sticks quite a lot over the years on churches and have seen fewer swallows, swifts and housemartins year on year.
After being on holiday in Malta I might have a reason why. When these birds migrate from Africa to Europe they hop from country to country as they move north. In Italy, Spain, France and Portugal it is the tradition to get out into the olive groves and fields with a whacking great blunderbuss of a twelve bore and blow anything that flies out of the sky.
While this may do wonders for the crops as far as keeping pigeons down, it takes a massive toll on the insect eating birds that are migrating too. Until the practise stops then the numbers of finches, martins, swifts, red kites and countless other species will continue to decrease. It's a shame.

23Where are the 'Swifts'. - Page 2 Empty Re: Where are the 'Swifts'. Sun Jul 01 2012, 22:57

TheHateCamel

TheHateCamel
David Lee
David Lee

And as far as the bees go? Great news recently that the dramatic decline in bee numbers may be about to stop. Scientists have known for years that a certain mite has been transmitting a disease that has been wiping out whole sets of hives and bee colonies but have been unable to establish how and what it is exactly. Well the good news is they now know and are piloting trials to treat it.
Bees are really important to the economy as they fertilise around 80% of agricultural crops and it's great news for everyone. I know a few people that have hives of their own and it's a fascinating hobby.

I never thought I'd be discussing the birds and bees on Bolton Nuts.

24Where are the 'Swifts'. - Page 2 Empty Re: Where are the 'Swifts'. Mon Jul 02 2012, 00:01

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Banks of the Croal wrote:Slightly ot, but i've never seen so many Snails in my garden, i keep removing them but there are just so many.

Anybody know if they're Edible? not that i'd eat the f,ckers.
No you can get Lung worm from snails.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum